TransDEM Elevation help

jamal17

Subways and railroads
I've been able to get a my DEM into my TRS2019, I followed a tutorial on YouTube where you make a path for your route in Transdem and you open it up in a different format in "Javaopenstreetmedia" and put it back in transdem and export it into trainz. My issue is not being able to get the height elevation for the tracks and the roads instead I only got the height elevation for the terrain and the hills of the area I'm mapping out? Is there a way I can get the actual height of the roads, tracks or even the sea level?

Is there a way I can get the actual height of the roads, tracks or even the sea level?
Unless you have good contacts to your railway or road administrations the answer will be no. Open Street Map vector data is 2D only. However, if you are able to obtain a hi-res 1m LIDAR DEM for your route, you will get all the cuttings and embankments nicely shaped into the terrain. That way, taking the vector data z component from terrain elevation can be rather accurate.

How do I combine 16 1M NED files into one NED file?

Use "Add DEM". But beware. Each of these 1m DEMs is 10 x 10 km, that is 100,000,000 points. Each point is 4 byte (single precision float), 400 MB (382 MiB). 16 of them, if they are arranged in a square, yields 6.4 GB. You will need at least twice that amount of physical memory in your PC to make DEM merging a relatively smooth operation.

Also keep in mind that the max resolution in Trainz is 5m. You can always resample the DEM in TransDEM to make it smaller and should do before you export to Trainz. On the other hand, the high resolution of 1m will give you the most detailed view of the terrain. Make sure you have DEM shading switched on in TransDEM, otherwise you will miss all the "wow" effects.

Another thing I wanted to ask why when I go to export my DEM into TRS2019 they only ask me if I want to use the 2-Dimensional optional, My question is how do I export a DEM with the 3-Dimensional vector data option?

The dialog window for exporting vector data to Trainz has an option "Adopt terrain elevation". That will add the z component.

You can also add vector height earlier in the process, with the "Adopt DEM elevation" command form the toolbar or menu. For this you have to activate the Simple Route Editor, then enable this option and exit the Simple Route Editor again. Upon leaving the editor, TransDEM will add elevation to the vector data. See the manual (This is were I went just now, because I could not remember how to use this function. :eek:)

The higher the DEM resolution the better the result, of course. But it won't handle bridge spans.

I looked all through the transdem tool and I didn't see the "Adopt DEM elevation" option anywhere, and the "Adopt terrain elevation" option isn't able to open for some reason

I looked all through the transdem tool and I didn't see the "Adopt DEM elevation" option anywhere, and the "Adopt terrain elevation" option isn't able to open for some reason

You may need to have the route editor closed. This is on the Trainz route export menu I believe. I'm not at my Trainzing computer to verify this.

Back