Import FBX. Issues

Volaner

Trainz Converter inverts the mesh if Flip was used during modeling. When importing a pbx file in SubstancePainter or MarmosetToolbag in these programs mesh is displayed normally. But Trainz inverts this mesh.

I recorded a video:

How can i fix it?

I've had this happen before and still cannot figure out how to fix it. Sometimes it fixed itself by exporting the object through the .obj format and reimporting it back into the modelling software but this did not always work.

Hello

Being waking up this thread after sleeping for so long, but I have the same problem that Volaner pointed out at the time and I can't fix it.

This query is made by a colleague of mine who does not use English much and has asked me to make the following query.

I write directly what you have asked me about the problem.

In this screenshot I show you the screens of the interior monitors of the train.
interior_1.jpg

I export the interior to .fbx format and in Trainz it looks like this:
interior_2.jpg

As you can see, the screens appear flipped. That, before, when exported in .IM format was not a problem because you could go back to the mesh, select it, give Flip to flip the mesh and, when exporting it, everything was correct.

Selected mesh and flip
interior_3.jpg

There are the flipped screens.
interior_4.jpg

But, after exporting in FBX format:
interior_5.jpg

The screens are still flipped, I could not fix anything. The FLIP exporting in FBX does not work.

The problem is that it happens to me on other screens, not just on monitor screens. And having to re-model something that is done and then the same thing happens again is a lot of work.

Is there an option for this not to happen?

You know, 3ds Max is used for modeling, as seen in the screenshots.

Thanks in advanced

Regards

Manuel

Always be sure to collapse any modifiers and transforms before exporting to fbx. You have to be sure to reset x-forms on any geometry that is exported, and it doesnt hurt to triangulate it either. This is the only way to be sure that things that are modified with copy ,mirror, flip modifier etc. are properly written when exported or at least in a way that the fbx->trainzmesh conversion can understand without issue. Other programs that load fbx may be able to interpret the file for display, but Content Manager is converting fbx to a different format for display in trainz, and this is where any extra modifier or x-form modifiers will break down as they can not be translated.

Thanks for the reply.

We will try to apply what you tell us, hopefully the problem is solved.

Best regards

Manuel

Hello.

I'm sorry but the solutions have not helped me

But, in reality, it is true that great discoveries come by mistake.

I have tried to do everything they have indicated in the forum: triangular, reset xform, etc. etc. and nothing at all.
But, in one of the attempts, I noticed that one of the monitor screens did look like it was playing.

And I thought .... Damn! I've touched something

So I have gone back to 3ds Max and have looked at what difference there was between the screen that looked good and the other adjusted ones.

And the difference was that, by separating the screens from the rest of the logos to work a little better, one of them, the one that looked good, had stayed with the logos and not with the screens.

So what I have done has been to separate screen by screen leaving them as an independent object and, voila, it has worked.

The fault was that I had the screens and the interior logos as a single object. By separating them and leaving them all as independent objects has been when it has been seen well in Trainz.

I have also separated the trunk bars from the rest of the metal, which also looked the other way around, and it has worked too.

So that was the problem.

norfolksouthern37, thanks anyway for trying to help me and give me possible solutions to my problem.

And now, the interior with its screens as they should be.
interior_6.jpg

Best Regards

Manuel

Hi Volaner, as far as I can tell there's something to do with the geometry data in 3DSMax that's at play here. What I've found works is to use the 'mirror' tool (so detach the faces, center the gizmo to the object, then open the mirror tool), with the mode set to 'geometry' not 'transform'.

I'm not sure why this is the case off hand, but it does appear to work :)

Regards

Hi Volaner, as far as I can tell there's something to do with the geometry data in 3DSMax that's at play here. What I've found works is to use the 'mirror' tool (so detach the faces, center the gizmo to the object, then open the mirror tool), with the mode set to 'geometry' not 'transform'.

I'm not sure why this is the case off hand, but it does appear to work :)

Regards

It's a Trainz bug. Other programs (SubstancePainter, MarmosetToolbag) show similar mesh normally. But unfortunately the developers don't want to admit the problem.

How i fix this problem:

- Disassemble object into many small object
- Export it into Trainz
- Identify problematic object
- Export problematic object into SubstancePainter
- Export from SubstancePainter into 3DMax
- Attach all small object into original object
- Export it into Trainz

It's doesn't not always work. And I don't know what kind of magic happens inside the SP

Back