Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trainz Issues

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by TrainzDude439 View Post
    CPU is at 66*C right now. I have Trainz 12 open right now. I tried downloading DirectX 9, and it won't let me for some reason.
    As Bill says that can melt your laptop. High CPU and GPU temps can kill the hardware!

You should be able to download that to your computer. Use a save as when you download it. Don't attempt from any other websites. There's also a copy in your Steam folders so it may not be necessary to download it.

...\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010

Scroll through and look for DXSETUP.

Right-click and run as administrator.

I'm more inclined to think it's the heat that's causing the crashing.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

John is correct. Steam installs everything needed to run the game.

In your list of games, find the listing for TS12. Right click on the name and choose Properties. A new box will open with 5 tabs, click on the Local Files tab. Choose to Verify Integrity of Game Files.

Let it download and install any missing files.

If everything is OK then it isn't likely to be anything to do with the Steam install.

William

Looks to me like the Intel graphics is the problem. To run any sort of game on a laptop you need a proper Nvidia or ATI graphics processor and Trainz is particularly graphics intensive, particularly doing route building.
    TRS 2019 Coach Class (Former Customer)

Quote Originally Posted by HiBaller View Post
    Running a CPU at 155+ degrees (F) can be fatal to a chip. This could very well be the source of your shutdowns and crashes. If the laptop is over a year old, you might want to open it up and blow the dustbunnies out of the ventilation path(s). An under-laptop fan table might help as well.

Bill
    I've just given my Xeon computer a sweep out after noticing that the CPU temperatures had started to creep up a little and I removed a good deal of dust from the two heatsinks. Not everyone is brave enough to pull their computer apart and clean it, but it is something that should be done regularly, - especially laptops since they suck in dust about as well as a Roomba.
    Narcolepsy is not napping.

HP XW8400 Xeon, Dual E5320 quad core CPUs, 16GB RAM, 1Tb SAS Hard drive, Nvidia GTX 960, Win 7.

For me the problem sits here:

8GB RAM, INTEL(R) CORE (TM) i3-8130U CPU @ 2.20 GHz, 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. Those are my device specs.

Chip Type: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
    Approx. Total Memory: 4181 MB
    Display Memory (VRAM): 128 MB
    Shared Memory: 4053 MB
    Meaning available RAM: ±4GB.

Blog Entries

He is running TS12, not TANE or TRS19, so 8GB of RAM and the Intel integrated graphics should not be a problem. I have managed to run TANE on a machine with less specs (4GB RAM). Admittedly it ran like a wet sponge and I had to turn all the performance settings to their minimums to get a "reasonable" performance but it did run and TANE is far more demanding than TS12.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

It's been a while but ISTR TS12 still needed a decent hardware spec to run on and I wouldn't like to have tried it with Intel graphics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    I wouldn't like to have tried it with Intel graphics.
    Agreed, not the best option but my previous laptop (may it rest in peace) had 8GB RAM and Intel integrated graphics and TS12 ran very well on it. TANE also ran but not as well. As in my previous post I also had TANE running on a 4GB Intel integrated graphics 2-in-1 desktop machine but it was not a pleasant experience.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

Trainz has always tended to run a bit hot. I still remember when TANE was first released and it was pushing GPU temps to 99c in some cases, causing the PC to do an emergency thermal shutdown.

Even sitting here now with TRS19 running in Surveyor, the fans are screaming like a banshee and Speedfan shows the GPU at ~60c with the core temps in the 50c to 55c range.

Optimisation has never been the N3V programmers' strong point.

Lightbulb

Good morning,

I can tell you I had HP Integrated GPU and it was horrible in all versions of Trainz, The GPU could not render well, over heated, more often than not. Couldn't get out of wet paper bag fight if it wanted too.....Forgive me, I reliving my Horror with these type setups in Laptops. !!!!

I bought a ROG STIX by ASUS with NVIDIA 4 GIG VRAM, and never looked back.....Integrated GPU are bad news for Trainz..........It drove me batty........I also went from Platter HD to SSD drives in new ROG too, you won't believe the difference in boot up, file search and File Backup, as I use Carbonite....Platter Drives are super cheap now, and are great for External Drives where Backup Speed isn't an issue, but Storage is, and now there is a Glut of large Platter Drives for Cheap. And they are reliable too.....

Also doubled my RAM from 16 to 32, Mother Board Ram, it made a hell of difference in how Carbonite speed for Backup, and it allows Trainz TRS2019 to work better for me.....Definite improvement with Disk Writes, Ram Access Etc........And for me, I had to wait till last Xmas to buy my new ROG, there are plenty of other Computers, you just need to Shop and Compare.....Of course this Forum is the best Knowledge Base for what really works best in Trainz.....I am very happy with my current ROG STIX laptop, although like any Laptop, I always think the Battery is undersized but that is my thoughts only......

Best of luck to you Sir......

I am having a problem with signals in trainz12. Some months ago everything was fine ( searchlight and safetran C light signals) . Then while I was working on a route they just disappeared. I went online and discovered jointed rail had a new signal mesh v 1.77 that is missing dependencies. I deleted it from my installed items and everything returned to the game except safetran C light signals. I would like to have them back. is there a fix?

Blog Entries

There are many different flavours of Intel Integrated Graphics systems just as there are many different flavours of NVidia GForce graphic cards. At the bottom end both will run Trainz (especially TANE) poorly. The mid and upper end Intel Integrated Graphics systems perform much better, particularly with the less demanding TS12.

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

Please don't use "......." in your writing. I and others use screen readers due to eyesight issues. What we hear is dot dot dot dot dot dot and dot. You are saying things that I want to hear but I avoid posts written like yours.

William

Quote Originally Posted by wreeder View Post
    Please don't use "......." in your writing. I and others use screen readers due to eyesight issues. What we hear is dot dot dot dot dot dot and dot. You are saying things that I want to hear but I avoid posts written like yours.

William
    The same for asterisk separators in novel chapters. I hear "asterisk asterisk asterisk".

Bill
    Name: Bill (CTR1, USN, Retired 1961--1980)
    User ID: 202442
    Trainzer since: 2003
    Currently using: T:ANE (build 94808)

William and Bill, thanks for the tips. I am one of those that tends to let his postings trail off with the dot dot dot and I am making it a point to stop that after reading your postings. I never stopped to think about how annoying that might be. I do remember once seeing a response to someone's post where the responder said "You might want to check your keyboard, your period key appears to be stuck." I got a chuckle out of that but did not think to stop it myself. Thanks for helping me be more considerate.
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” ― R.L.S.