Question re Clutter Objects

Anyone that has a railway running along a coast line should give this a try: Where the water meets the land, use two elevations around +.25 and -.25 from the water level so you get a very slight slope. Then apply a rocky PBR texture to the beach area but avoid the track spline. At this point the beach line should take on a realistic rocky beach appearance. Then sprinkle "small rock" clutter along the beach line but again avoid the track to complete the effect.

Now for the question: N3V has already said that objects for clutter are restricted - users cannot just create custom clutter using any object. I'm good with that. But how can users determine in Content Manager if new clutter-qualified objects have been added by N3V or content creators? In other words, are clutter object capabilities defined in the code, or are they attributes of the objects?

In content manager add a column that shows author user name, then you know if any kuid is by N3V or someone else. Interesting tip, will try that one, thanks. Ops, no I won't it's PBR...

Clutter as a technique is fairly mesh-agnostic, but achieving good performance and visuals means creating with appropriate levels of detail and material choices. It’s not hard, but there’s no guarantee that any arbitrary scenery object will fit the bill at all. Rather than expose users to tens of thousands or poor choices, we’ve taken the approach of requiring creators to manually flag their creations as being intended for use as clutter.

chris

I interpret WindWalkr's response to mean that the KUIDs of clutter-capable objects are not hard-coded in the Trainz software. But this could be a bad assumption on my part. If my interpretation is correct, it is good news and answers the second of my two questions. Now we need an answer to the first question I had, which is the same question as horacefithers' response. Because I tried to use similar small objects as clutter objects and they were not recognized by the clutter setup process.

And how, pray tell, are the objects flagged so us poor users can find them?

HF

I interpret WindWalkr's response to mean that the KUIDs of clutter-capable objects are not hard-coded in the Trainz software. But this could be a bad assumption on my part. If my interpretation is correct, it is good news and answers the second of my two questions. Now we need an answer to the first question I had, which is the same question as horacefithers' response. Because I tried to use similar small objects as clutter objects and they were not recognized by the clutter setup process.

I too ran into the issue with similar objects because there's no way of knowing whose who.

How about a simple naming system so that we know consistently that they are in fact clutter-mesh objects, or objects that are suitable for clutter-mesh use similar to the Pro-Track designation for such track-types? I fear this might be too difficult...

Back