How To article from Tech-Hive. How to check your graphics card GPU temps.

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3396643/how-to-check-your-graphics-card-gpu-temperature.html

This is something we've all done over the years especially when intensely building routes and adding content or driving in built-up areas where we suddenly experience stutters. Upon checking and troubleshooting, we can't find anything wrong with the routes including the content we're using but instead find our video cards getting warm.

The article has some optimization tips such as better wire layouts, adding fans, etc. for desktop PCs. There's not much that can be done for a laptop as we can imagine.

My PC case is open to the room air (and dust), with a small 9" desk fan blowing on my innards of my desktop PC, in a 55F degree cold room.

I have a large case with 5 very quiet Case fans, 1 back, 2 top with filters and 2 front also filtered plus a bottom filter using a Gigabyte Aorus 1080TI with three fans, all fully cable managed with a 750 Watt EVGA modular PSU and get zero cooling issues. Number 2 PC only has 4 case fans at present, 2 front 1 top filtered and 1 back. On both most of the heat comes out the top and PSUs are bottom mounted.

I check temperatures with HWInfo or GPUz, with current setups no need to mess with fan speeds or profiles. Number 3PC however being a smaller case either needs afterburner to ramp up the fan speed or run with the side off.

I have a large case with 5 very quiet Case fans, 1 back, 2 top with filters and 2 front also filtered plus a bottom filter using a Gigabyte Aorus 1080TI with three fans, all fully cable managed with a 750 Watt EVGA modular PSU and get zero cooling issues. Number 2 PC only has 4 case fans at present, 2 front 1 top filtered and 1 back. On both most of the heat comes out the top and PSUs are bottom mounted.

I check temperatures with HWInfo or GPUz, with current setups no need to mess with fan speeds or profiles. Number 3PC however being a smaller case either needs afterburner to ramp up the fan speed or run with the side off.

My big Corsair case is setup like that. I used EVGA Precision-X to check the GPU temps when I think things might be getting hot. I also use a nice EVGA modular power supply. Periodically I also blow the dust out of the fans and clean off the bottom filter to ensure that there's nothing blocking the fans.

When I have checked the temperatures, the GPU, an EVGA 1080TI, the temps have been about 63 C max even when I thought it was really hot. I too never touch any fan speed profiles since my setup runs cool to begin with.

Back