Clatter over points

neville_hill

The sound when trains cross over points has suddenly changed from a realistic metallic clatter to a sort of staccato scratch. Does anyone know if this is a known problem and is there an easy solution? I'm using LRW procedural track. Thanks for any assistance....

In TRS19 it's a thunk, plunk, thunk sound if that's what you mean and not the metallic clink, clunk, bang, clunk we used to have.

It was changed because of numerous complaints, personally I think it was OK as it was. Another case of be careful what you wish for....... ;o)

John, Malc - thanks, but that's bad news .... I'm not getting think, plunk, think or indeed clink, clink, bang, clink...
More of a digital 'phut' although it's difficult to think of an accrate onomatopoeic description. I can't believe anyone thought this was an improvement. It'll have to be fingers in the ears at every junction....

I noticed the thud or plunk, and couldn't even figure out what it was for awhile, it sounds so unlike a locomotive actually going over a switch. Too bad -- 19 has many improvements over TANE but that is definitely not one of them.

Does every point have the same sound no matter what wheel goes over it? If not, imagine the number of different sounds that would be needed for every possible combination. Given that, the one size fits "never" is probably the best of a bad solution.

I noticed the thud or plunk, and couldn't even figure out what it was for awhile, it sounds so unlike a locomotive actually going over a switch. Too bad -- 19 has many improvements over TANE but that is definitely not one of them.

It could be worse. Remember MSTS with the ca-swish, plunk, ca-swish, plunk for track joints?

I agree with Martin. This is a compromise because this sound is not the same for every kind of track. Track conditions, weight, train weight, speed, wheel base, number of wheels, and many other things. The sound we have now is similar to what I've heard with the new switches put in on our local commuter rail line while the older sound was similar to the old MBTA trolleys.

Modern points and crossings with large radius swing nose diamonds are almost silent when you pass over them.

Modern points and crossings with large radius swing nose diamonds are almost silent when you pass over them.

True enough, but those of us (such as myself) who model the railways of a much older era aren't all that impressed by the new sounds. I like the old TS2012 point crossing sounds, - and in fact when I heard the new sound in TS2019 I wondered what it was since I'd never heard anything like that when I used to trainspot around goods yards when I was much younger than I am now.

Back