make the baseboards using the Google Earth or TransDEM

I have tried repeatedly to understand get get TransDEM to work so I can create a route of an actual location.
Seriously, I've gone through the steps multiple times and read all I could, and yet I still ca't get it to work
I know its not a software issue - its clearly an operator issue.
Simple question : can anyone out there make the baseboards using the Google Earth or TransDEM tools ?
Its an industrial switching area in NW Portland. I can send you a description of the area and what would be the best borders.
Thank you!

Yep, easy as... well ok, it is a learning curve. I'm over 60, and I was 2/3rds the way through a large route, and finished it by using TransDem. Keep re-reading the advice and you'll get there. Make sure you have the "TransDem and Google Earth" pdf file and follow that.

Yep, easy as... well ok, it is a learning curve. I'm over 60, and I was 2/3rds the way through a large route, and finished it by using TransDem. Keep re-reading the advice and you'll get there. Make sure you have the "TransDem and Google Earth" pdf file and follow that.
Honestly, I tried all settings.... including the ones you mention. I have done EVERYTHING, and yet this program just kicks my butt.
Thank you for your words of encouragement, however between time constraints ( I am away from home for numerous short periods of time ) and a whole lot of frustration, I am just asking if someone can do it for me.

Honestly, I tried all settings.... including the ones you mention. I have done EVERYTHING, and yet this program just kicks my butt.
Thank you for your words of encouragement, however between time constraints ( I am away from home for numerous short periods of time ) and a whole lot of frustration, I am just asking if someone can do it for me.

Have you Googled Trans Dem on YouTube...Here are 2 Videos I found in YouTube for you, I am visual person, so a good Video, can make a world of difference for me........When it comes to items like this........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Meeq_5_keYs

I think this second Video will help maybe more?

I do not own or use Trans Dem, I just know of it.
Really hope this helps you some.........Others here will probably give you some more Clues as they are much more Knowable in this Software........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajIpiFKzmWw

Train Sim TV

1.02K subscribers

A basic tutorial on how to import DEM (Real hill/terrain data) into Train Simulator 2019. You will need a basic understanding of the TS route editor and using windows file systems/the RW directory

6 Comments

Add a public comment...

Leon Perry 8 months ago

I just need to get my Google maps to work again and I can get back to my route.

Dichuz91 2 months ago

this doesn't work for me, google maps don't load on the terrain and whenever i try to import the terrain files (files are .HGT files) nothing happens regardless of what tile size i select, any ideas on how to troubleshoot this

Prashant K 4 months ago

how to use the google maps?

Train Sim TV

2 months ago

You require an API key from google. This then needs applying into your TS settings. Once set up press ctrl and g to load the maps up

Prashant K 2 months ago

@Train Sim TV I did but it's not loading :( circles keeps on moving n map doesn't load

Train Sim TV

2 months ago

@Prashant K if that has not worked then i suggest getting in touch with dovetail games support. Also do make sure your billing is set up for google ap

I have tried repeatedly to understand get get TransDEM to work so I can create a route of an actual location.
Seriously, I've gone through the steps multiple times and read all I could, and yet I still ca't get it to work
I know its not a software issue - its clearly an operator issue.
Simple question : can anyone out there make the baseboards using the Google Earth or TransDEM tools ?
Its an industrial switching area in NW Portland. I can send you a description of the area and what would be the best borders.
Thank you!

I know TransDem is good but I could never understand the detailing that was necessary.

I simply used Google Earth and then marked on it the size of a baseboard (720x720m),... then used Windows Snipping Tool to capture the image as a jpg file.

Then imported the image into 'Basemapz' thus creating an asset, which can be simply placed on a blank baseboard using a named 'Layer' and can be deleted later.

It's straight-forward to outline the terrain, tracks, roads, buildings, then when done, delete it. Google Earth also provides land height levels when terrain needs adjusting.

Good luck,

Roy

I know TransDem is good but I could never understand the detailing that was necessary.
The keyword is "geo coordinates". With this approach we can combine different data sources, like ortho-images, DEM terrain or, more and more popular, historic topo maps. They all fit nicely together, because they speak the same "language". When copying ortho-images as simple JPEGs, without any geo-referencing, you discard core information and no longer have the ability to bring in a second data source, or even keep your route "in sync" with the prototype.

BTW, I always suggest to use the Map Tile client for ortho-images, because the automated approach there is so much faster than the semi-manual image-by-image method with Google Earth. Admittedly, you will need a Google account to access the Google Maps API, but Microsoft and ESRI still offer their ortho-images via anonymous access.

I simply used Google Earth and then marked on it the size of a baseboard (720x720m),... then used Windows Snipping Tool to capture the image as a jpg file.

Then imported the image into 'Basemapz' thus creating an asset, which can be simply placed on a blank baseboard using a named 'Layer' and can be deleted later.

It's straight-forward to outline the terrain, tracks, roads, buildings, then when done, delete it. Google Earth also provides land height levels when terrain needs adjusting.

Good luck,

Roy
Explain to me how you do this.... I go to Google Maps, and then how do I make a Snip of the size 720 x 720 ? Is there a measuring tool on maps I can use ( in metric ) ? I looked and I can't see anything like that.
Please explain this to me like the simpleton I am ! Thanks !!

Explain to me how you do this.... I go to Google Maps, and then how do I make a Snip of the size 720 x 720 ? Is there a measuring tool on maps I can use ( in metric ) ? I looked and I can't see anything like that.

Look for Basemap assets on the DLS.

These are called Basemap A, Basemap B, etc.

Each of these is 720 x 720 meters.

You clone a Basemap object such as Basemap A, for example.

Change the TGA image already there into your map image. It's best to keep the same name so it's easier to do.

Close the asset and submit.

Repeat for Basemap B asset, follwed by Basemap, C, D, E, etc., until you have enough images for your needs.

You then place the assets and shift them a hair down under the mesh, and lock them on a layer such as basemaps for example. We're lucky we have layers now, which didn't exist back in the early days.

Once locked, and just below the surface, use the grid view and place your assets over the basemap object with the map image on it.

This is a long process when you have a lot of images and gets tiring very quickly.

With Trans DEM you can do this all in one shot and as GeoPhil says, the maps can be merged with others with similar geo-data because everything is referenced on the real UTM grid. As he says, using the built-in Map-Tile information works very quickly with with obtaining orthographic images. There are other sources besides Google such as Microsoft and ESRI, which by-the-way, use similar information.

My recommendation is go through the part of the tutorial for obtaining maps. The gist is download a single overview map first. Draw a poly line next, and then for your tiles you then use images along a path. I put together a quick guide, which I can send you a link to. PM me and I'll get it for you. There are some things out of date such as obtaining the DEM data due to the interface changing about 20 times in the past 3 years, but all the rest is the same.

Google Earth has a measuring tool built-in, it's on the task bar at the top and you can choose either metric or feet and inches. It looks like a ruler and a mouse over says 'Show Ruler'.

It also has pins to designate each corner of the square. I've found it most useful.

Cheers,
Roy

I live in Portland in the Cathedral Park area and the area you are talking about is along Hwy 30 west of the Willamette River where BNSF runs, so about a mile west of me. I have TransDEM but am not yet an expert. If all you want is terrain (probably extending to the ridge line of Forest Park to the west and the bluff (St Johns, Mocks Crest etc) with a raster map using one of the geo referenced maps that are standard for TransDEM and a blue route line for the main line, I could do that in about 20 minutes. What I cannot do is find and use a non-georeferenced raster map nor can I create the UTM tiles since both of these are beyond my current experience. My suggestion: Since you live nearby, we could work together on this so you would learn as well. So let me know.

Last edited:
Back