Thread: Did you know there are locos that think they're boats?

United States of America, Oklahoma, Lawton
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Did you know there are locos that think they're boats?

And there are boxcars that think they are young water-skiing girls in bikinis, talk about stacked freight!

Now that I have the semi trucks (locos) all fine-tuned on my layout (except for AI drivers who like to run reds on Trigger Multiple Signals Rule) sometimes, I'm now monkeying with driveable boats on my model lake and model river. A driveable army helicopter already "flies" over my layout and periodically lands.

Bell UH-1 Huey helicopter US Army Startup,<kuid2:60238:9956:1> by vulcan

This is the Bell UH-1 Huey helicopter, startup model, in the livery of the US Army.

The aircraft initially has the engines stopped. Use the B key to start or stop the engines. For AI operations, use the Aircraft Engine Start Rule, kuid2:60238:80004:1

The helicopter will lift and hover above the track, using the H key - use the H key again to lower the helicopter, or the Aircraft Helicopter Takeoff Rule, kuid2:60238:80005:1. Maximum hover height is 15 metres, variable in the string table above, default setting 10 metres.

It does not have an operating interior, but does have various exterior views based on an invisible interior, use the [ and ] keys from the interior view.

The helicopter is loaded with Hydra missiles in the two pods and the larger Hellfire missiles on the racks. These are all animated and cannot be changed by the user. There is also an operating M230 chain gun. The gun has a random animation when the helicopter is running.

The V key fires the missiles: first press pickles off six hydra, second press fires two Hellfire from the right rack, third press fires two Hellfire from the left rack, and the fourth press fires the chain gun. Subsequent presses recycles the sequence.

The Aircraft Action Trigger, kuid2:76656:24060:1 when placed on track and set to the correct number will operate the following:

- initially the rotors are stationary, use the B key or triggger setting 2 to start or stop the rotors;
    - the helicopter will lift and hover above the track, using the H key or trigger setting 1 - use the H key again to lower the helicopter;
    - maximum hover height is 15 metres, variable in the string table above, default setting 10 metres;
    - the V key (trigger number 3 setting) will operate the side door;
    - operate the winch and open the door, trigger setting 5.

Military and commercial aircraft sometimes use the same keys and trigger settings for differerent animations. If you find conflict on the same route, set the train priority of the trigger and the particular aircraft to a different value to differentiate.

Dave Snow has a water-ski boat with water ski figure. There is a dame in a bikini lying on the forward deck and the other dame is being towed. There is a dude in a baseball hat at the bridge. I put one of these boats on an AI-drive schedule where the boat periodically pulls into one of the two docks on Lake Drummond, alternating between one dock and the other. The boat route has to be set up to back into the dock immediately following driving past a converging junction before backing into the slip. If the junction is facing the other way, diverging, the boat will pull into the dock forward but back out to a backup track mark and continue to back all the way around the lake instead of driving forward AFTER BACKING OUT OF THE DOCK AS IT SHOULD. AI does much better when it backs into a siding that terminates but then pulls out moving only forward to get back onto the main line again. I found this out with my trucks that have to naturally back into the receiving docks at a warehouse and only drive forward to continue with main line travel again.

The water ski boat has no working navigation lights and does not get up on plane at speed. As far as animated boat behavior goes, there is no natural banking (hull roll) in turns and no change in pitch (bow attitude), nautically speaking. I found that having invisible track 2.75 m below the Topo water surface, the boat's draft is about halfway between planing and plowing water and that's a fair compromise. The boat has no spinning prop and the Yamaha outboard doesn't pivot in turns. it throws a rooster tail at about 15+ MPH but the boat makes no visible wake in the water. The boat stays level, no rolling or pitching in the waves. The other ski boat is doing a figure 8 around the lake with a water skiier in tow. Blowing the ski boat horn makes a loud "Yahoo!" human vocal sound. The ski boat engine is constantly revving at all speeds and sounds like a lawn mower.

Even with all the shortcomings, this boat is cool moving scenery for any Trainz route with a lake.

On my scale river, Buffalo River, there is a cute little narrow steam boat, African Queen style, that carries tourists up and down the river and under the road and train bridges. I run this boat slow, about 10 MPH along the river. it has a think-think chug engine sound. She also has a real-sounding boat horn. The cute narrow boat also has working bow light and interior lighting.

Motorboat for Skier,<kuid2:101046:106254:1> by davesnow

A Motor Boat for a Water Skier. This model is designed to operate on an invisible track and to is driveable with keyboard. Also supplied with an interior. Attach my Girl on Water Skis asset and place on invisible track in the water and program to drive via markers.

Skier for Motorboat DES,<kuid:101046:106259> by davesnow

The water skier figure is a "railcar" while the towing boat is a "locomotive".

Narrowboat 1,<kuid2:60238:9606:2> by vulcan

A driveable canal narrowboat of British design, the engine specification gives realistic speeds of approximately 18 kph. It drives on track set 3 metres above water level. The boat is passenger enabled and will operate with the passenger landing models.

Engine sound, horn sound and pictures for textures by Boat.

Here is a video of my Trainz boating action:

https://youtu.be/zZNT8V-B8Jo
    Last edited by JonMyrlennBailey; November 5th, 2019 at 06:55 PM.
    TANE SP2 Build 90945, downloaded Dec. 2017, TS12 Build 61388, downloaded Feb. 2018, American citizen, Lawton, OK

Blog Entries

There are boats that think they be locomotives too!

I "Think" they were purposely designed that way, so that they could be driven on invisatrack, I don't Think that assets can Think ?

There are airplanes, trucks, cars, and boats, that are static building assets, and must be easily converted to be a driving vehicle.
    Last edited by MP242; February 20th, 2020 at 02:34 PM.
    My 4325 car RGCX train is 53.24 miles long, and takes 1 hour to pass through town !

Blog Entries

My authentic working narrow boat is 72' 6" long and takes 20 minutes to cover a mile when loaded.