Disappearing industries

Viraf

I have a layout with about 10 different industries. Some are proprietary, like Bread Factory, Forestry, etc and others a defined by me by Multiple Industry New asset. I find that although I save the game every time I exit, when I reload the game, some industries have disappeared. Is there a capacity limit to the game? Earlier versions of the game on 9 squares were working all right but when I expanded the game to 12 squares this problem keeps recurring.

If by squares you mean baseboards, then this has nothing to do with it. I have a route with nearly 400 boards. I would guess TMR2017 is similar to TANE, and I can't tell if you are talking about a session (I assume) as this is different to a route layer. Whatever is set up in a session will not show up if the route is loaded.

What do you mean by "save the game? Run a session and close before the end, saving the progress? Or close surveyor saving the entire route?

If you're running a session, then it's all under the quirks of the game engine that "forgets" any previous setting such as industry loads and waypoints when you exit and save, it's a well known issue (and a difficult one to work out apparently, for the developers).

If instead you're working in surveyor and on the session layer (by accident or on purpose doesn't matter), you need to save both route and session, and when you restart work you MUST open the session - not the route alone - for editing, or you won't see the previous work done in the session layer.
Not everyone is aware of the fact that opening the session for editing opens the route too, it's just a matter to select a route layer and you can work on the route itself (plus you can add anything in a session layer, not just trains); BUT, if you never select any route layer, all your work is saved in the session only and you will have a hard time finding your edits if you edit the route alone afterward.

I usually lock the session layer when editing a route, that way I'm sure nothing goes where it's not intended to go.

In brief:
1) need route editing? edit the route and avoid the session layers at all costs
2) need to build a session? create/edit a session and avoid the route layers at all costs

That said, Viraf, check the route sessions and verify if you haven't saved your work into one of them by accident.

Also be sure you cloned the route if you happened to work on a DLC route (I'm not sure if that's the case for freeware routes too) and you're working on the cloned instance, I hit that wall myself and I know how hard it is LOL.
When you clone a route, infact, the game doesn't switch to the new saved instace like almost all other software does, but it mantains the original instance in memory and you keep working on something you can't save after, unless you use the "save as..." command every time ending up with lots of routes with the same name but different edits in them (I guess they have different KUIDS too).
Breaking down the steps:
1) clone the route
2) close surveyor
3) open the CLONED instance
4) enjoy! :)

Sorry for the wall of text, but it's not easy to pin down the issue without being in front of your monitor while you play.

Luca

Thank you for giving such a detailed explanation, Luca.
I looks like I have been editing the Sessions and not the Routes. If I go from the Select Route menu to the Edit Route option, I get a very old route with even half the tracks missing. What I have been doing is selecting the route, clicking on the right arrow, going to the Sessions menu. selecting the Session and building on it. But then if I select Save As from the Main Menu, it asks whether I want to save the new route or the new session. I save the new route and exit Surveyor. Then if I restart Surveyor, select the last saved version and click on Edit Route, it just comes up with the old route. Nothing new has been saved. What is the use of the Save As>New Route option?

What do you mean by Cloning? Can you please clarify the steps to clone the route?

Hm I'm guessing you are working in TMR2017, and I only have TANE. But it NEVER asks "do you want to save Route or Session." If you're in a session it offers to "save" or "save as" and therefore is saving in Session ONLY. I would guess when you are loading the route, it has never been updated and you are in fact loading the saved session?

In TMR2017, when you click Save As, it has 2 choices: "Save new route and session" or "Save session". Even if I save both, the modified route does not come up when I start Surveyor next time and select "Edit Route". It only comes up if I edit the session. What is the purpose of ending up with duplicate routes? And now, as I keep developing the route in the Session only, some industries keep disappearing.

Back