Help debugging "Multi Ind str" - fails in my main install, works in "base" install

1611mac

- - . -
Help debugging "Multi Ind str" - fails in my main install, works in "base" install

All three of the "multi Ind str" objects fail in my "Main" install. I created a separate new install and they work fine. Obviously, something in my main install is "crashing" them.

In my main install, I can Add a commodity to a Queue and it displays fine in Processes and Products. But in "Tracks" panel I get nothing. Just an empty window. When I do the exact same thing in the new Base install it's fine (Tracks shows the commodity I put in Queue)

I checked commodities in Content Manger. There are no Faulty commodities. Nothing in CM shows Open for Edit.

I have a total of 1781 commodities.

I do have some faulty assets, but no faulty commodities as stated above.

Can anyone offer ideas on finding the problem? Thanks for reading... Thanks for replying...

Can you be specific on what you call "main Install" and "basic install"?
What kind of M.I.N are you using? You may know there are several available, for example, the ones with red arrows or gleen..?
I experienced something similar to what you describe, but it allows up to 4 commodities. After that, M.I.N. freezes and has to be re-installed. This on the ones with green arrows. M.I.N. New (red arrows) usually works pretty good. All this in T:ANE, and should be the same as in 19.

My "main Install" is my "go to" "everyday" install with freeware and payware and cloned items. "Basic Install" is just the app and built-ins app installed assets (Kickstarter 2). The M.I.N's are in a payware route in which I'm trying to do a session. I'd use the new MINS if I were building my own Roue/Session.. They are the older "multi Ind str" (that's that name in the "Objects - Add Object" fly out panel or "drawer" - they are in 10m, 20m and 60m lengths. They have green arrows.

So in a new install with only Kickstarter and and single Payware route installed the MIN's configure properly. But in my main install, when configuring, the "Tracks" window remains bare even with a commodity in Queue.

I have deleted a bunch of routes and their dependencies in my main install but still no go... I've gotten commodity count down to 325 but the MIN's still won't confugure. (commodity won't show in "Tracks")

I'm very tempted to just start a new "main" install, checking whether the MIN's continue to work after each route/session install. (And keeping the old "main" to play with to see if I can ever find what's killing the MIN's)

Thanks for reply...

Something is different - so, is it code or content?
Same build numbers?
Same KUIDs?
Same KUID dependencies?
Try disabling 1500 commodities, restarting and see if that solves the problem (perhaps something is timing out).
Turn on Script exceptions (Trainz Settings > Dev) and see what errors are showing.

mac --

It could be one of two:

1. You main install is somehow faulty.
2. One or more of the commodities in the main install are in some way faulty or you have too many of them for the MIN to function correctly.

I suspect the second.

As a suggestion to test the second:
Make a back up cdp of all the commodities you have installed -- Installed = True / Built-in = False / Category = Commodity -- Save to cdp
Then remove all those commodities.
See if the MIN works. If it does you have an issue with the commodities not the main installation.
As a further check, install the backup commodity cdp into your basic install. See if the MIN works. If it does not it confirms that there is an issue with the commodities.

Tell us how you go.

Oh -- and check for any rebar commodities. There was a know issue with one or more. They would check out OK in Manage Content but would foul up interactive industries.

Phil

Removed ALL commodities except for Base and Built-in.

I was then able to configure MIN (it worked properly)... The curiosity in me will make me re-install the pulled commodities (cdp) and pull in smaller and smaller groups until I can find the offending commodity.

Thanks Tony and Thanks Phil

Update - Appears to be related the to number of commodities and not a specific one... Sorted and deleted half and MIN works. Added all back in. Didn't work. Sorted and deleted the OTHER half. MIN works.

Great! Now, what is the magic number of commodities max allowed? Years ago I went through all this, but could not come out with this number due to sheer size and time required to filter all. Indeed, this is related to the fastidious "time out" thing.

OK... the magic number as best I can tell is 1345 Commodities plus or minus one. I enabled and disabled until I found that over 1345 caused failure. I then tried different combinations just to ensure no commodity was bad. ie: I'd get it to fail by enabling a specific Commodity, then turning that off so it would work. Then enabling a different one and I'd get failure again. It seems (at least on my install) that any combination over 1345 commodities kills things. Your experience may vary!

Again, this is not the new one, this is for the older "multi Ind str" (that's that name in the "Objects - Add Object" fly out panel or "drawer" - they are in 10m, 20m and 60m lengths and have green arrows.)

Back