Trainz is a confusing jumble of great stuff

jimbursch

I'm just sharing some observations as a new user, while I'm still a new user. My plan is to contribute solutions where I can to the problems that I have observed.

Fundamentally, there needs to be a new-user on-boarding path that gets a new user oriented and engaged as quickly as possible. My experience as a new user is that this path does not currently exist.

-- The "Learn to Drive" sessions are great and should be expanded. This is where a new user needs to start. In my case, however, I had a moment of panic because the first thing I clicked on was "Driver/Surveyor" and got lost and confused. At the very least, "Learn to Drive" needs to be the top, most prominent choice, impossible for a new user to miss.

-- The launcher has these options: "Start Trainz", "Manage Content", "Trainz Settings", "Purchase Content"
when I launch Trainz I have these options "Driver/Surveyor", "My Collection", "More Content", "Learn to Drive"

-- Notice that "Learn to Drive" is the last thing a new user sees. It should be the first.

-- "Manage Content", "Purchase Content", "My Collection", and "More Content" all look like the same thing. This is a confusing mess for a new user.

-- When I start Trainz, an "Asset Download" dialog box pops up with no explanation, loaded with a bunch of stuff (KUIDs I think), indicating a Payware package. I have since figured out that this is additional content that came with my Steam purchase of TRS2019. I shouldn't have to figure this out; it should come with an explanation and instructions.

-- The auran.com domain has got to go. I have no idea what auran is, nor do I care. I purchased a product called Trainz developed by N3V. The fact that I get redirected to another domain for important services creates nothing but confusion. It also poses security concerns for me, and it severely complicates the registration process.

-- I don't understand what "Trainz Pointz" are, and it sounds a little scammy. I have 200 of them, for what?

-- I don't understand what a "First Class Ticket" is. It has something to do with subscription, but subscribe to what? For what reason?

My overall impression is that Trainz and N3V grew out of a freeware community and there is a lot of legacy stuff that needs to be supported, and there is likely tension that exists between business interests and community interests. The confusing jumble that I experience as a new user is likely the result of conflicting interests and a desire to accommodate many things to many people. That is understandable.

However, if both the business and the community is to survive and grow, greater focus and improvements need to be made to the new user experience.

I have a particular, strong interest in making Trainz work for me and my project, so I am willing to push through the confusion and find answers to my questions. This is likely not the case for a more casual user.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I agree with you that a new user has a hard time. There used to be a very nice manual in pdf form but I just checked and it isn't included with the Steam install. There is however a guide on Steam written by the CEO of N3V which is pretty good to get you started. Look for Getting Started with TRS19 on Steam under the Guides tab. Also there are tons of videos on Youtube on using Trainz. There are for older versions so the menu setup has changed but the interface of Surveyor is pretty much the same. Just search for Trainz.

William

There is definitely a big learning curve when getting serious about Trainz, but on the other hand it is worth the effort in my opinion.

Hello.... best tip I can give you is to read the forum every day. The Trainz Wiki (see top of this page for Nav link) has good info and some How To's but it's hard to find things. Language is also a hindrance (Switch vs Junction, Uncouple vs Decouple, etc)
This post might help find things on the wiki..
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...ar-the-hobby-has-fallen&p=1775637#post1775637

There is a tremendous learning curve. I'm into this one year and I still feel like I know next to nothing.

Don't be in a hurry to download payware.... you can decide on that later. Do NOT worry about Plus, Gold, or Silver programs for now. Again, you can decide that later. (I'm assuming you purchased TRS19 outright from the store?) There is plenty of freeware to download. Learning the use of Content Manager (see it on the launch panel) is critical.

Feel free to Private Msg me with any "newbie" question. I offer that only because I truly understand your point and can share my mistakes and learnings over the past year. I work from home so I'm available a lot and I check the forums a lot thru the day. There is a lot to share so I'm also willing to provide email address on with Private Message. But there is just a TON to learn....

Without going into the politics Auran is the company that morphed into N3V so uses the Auran servers for the forums and the Download Station. Effectively Auran is N3V.

Trainz points gets you discounts off purchasing DLC new or older versions and FCTs.

FCT which costs a small amount removes the 100mb per day and very slow download speed restriction. https://www.trainzportal.com/product/view/first-class-ticket-fct, if you have Trainz Plus on subscription you will already have an active FCT, if one of the non plus versions then you may need one.

You may have a Free one to get you started if you bought TRS19 from N3V, check here https://www.auran.com/planetauran/AT_display_tickets.php

Note: As there is currently a 66.6% discount on for 48 hours, it would be a good time to purchase an FCT.

Where do I find the manual for TRS19

Posted by N3V Games (Zec) on 18 December 2018 03:06 PM
Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 does not include a traditional PDF manual in it. Instead you can access our online wiki based manual by clicking on the 'File' menu on the launcher screen, then click on 'View online documentation'.

Or Direct link http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:TRS19

Older users would probably get a bit miffed if Learn to Drive was at the top, some have been here for 10 years plus.

And welcome to the Trainz "experience".

Last edited:
Unless you have a link I couldn't find, First class tickets are not included in the sale.

The OP purchased TRS19 through Steam and the process is a bit dodgy. The base install downloads from Steam's servers and at some point during the install pushes you to the Trainz website to register as a user. Then upon running the game the first time it uses the new username to determine what DLC packages should be offered for download. Here is the rub, although you get a 48 hours FCT it isn't activated and a new user has no idea that it should be to increase the download speed of the DLC packages. That download defaults to 5 KBps. Really slow when you are downloading gigabytes of data. This is a real problem that should be fixed at once. Either the sign up screen should direct a new user to the page to activate the FCT or it should ask right then if the user wants to activate the ticket and explain why they should.

And a word to Jim, you can buy DLC through the N3V store and it will install using the downloader or buy it directly through the game using the More Content screen with the source set to Premium. Change the source to Download Station to see items available for free.

William

Last edited:
Jim,

Feel free to ask questions. We are more than willing to assist you on this lifelong learning curve. I've been Trainzing since December 2003, two days after Christmas actually, and I'm still learning stuff about the program. Like any hobby, there are so many facets to focus on, learn, and do that it'll keep you busy for a very long time.

Thank you everyone for the prompt replies. The responsiveness of this community is the saving grace for a new user.

I hope Tony Hilliam or other members of N3V read your post. It's a reminder of the difficulties facing a new user. Recently, I searched for, but couldn't find the pdf version of the TS19 manual. I know it was there for TANE because I was one of the beta testers that read it.

There are help icons on most, if not all, Trainz windows. On the splash (startup) screen there is a question mark at the top right that takes you to the Trainz WiKi with a variety of getting started menus. In the main window (the one with the Learn to Drive option) there is another help icon that only appears when you move the mouse over the title bar.

Notice how the URL for the Wiki is based on TS2009. Just an example of how Trainz has grown more by accretion than planning.

Believe it or not, I noticed that on day one and it caused me to ignore it for a long time before I realized that it DOES apply... same thing with a lot of the title's, etc etc.

I agree with some of your comments but.... confusion for new users of complex software is unfortunately part of life. Imagine loading Excel for the first time and making sense of all the buttons. Closer to home, several weeks ago I started using TrainzDEM for the first time (highly recommend it, but it is complex software) and had the same thoughts: "what is going on?" "where do I start?" But forums and more importantly, YouTube tutorials got me going and now I can create realistic terrain for routes very efficiently. So spend time on YouTube is my suggestion to you.

Without going into the politics Auran is the company that morphed into N3V so uses the Auran servers for the forums and the Download Station. Effectively Auran is N3V.

Trainz points gets you discounts off purchasing DLC new or older versions and FCTs.

FCT which costs a small amount removes the 100mb per day and very slow download speed restriction. https://www.trainzportal.com/product/view/first-class-ticket-fct, if you have Trainz Plus on subscription you will already have an active FCT, if one of the non plus versions then you may need one.

You may have a Free one to get you started if you bought TRS19 from N3V, check here https://www.auran.com/planetauran/AT_display_tickets.php

Note: As there is currently a 66.6% discount on for 48 hours, it would be a good time to purchase an FCT.

Or Direct link http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:TRS19

Older users would probably get a bit miffed if Learn to Drive was at the top, some have been here for 10 years plus.

And welcome to the Trainz "experience".

I did not see a sale for FCT i was looking to get one.

Hey, jimbursch, welcome to the world of Trainz! You will soon learn that the Trainz community is filled with a bunch of people with wildy different interests in regard to what can be done with and to Trainz.

Take care,

Last edited:
"... confusion for new users of complex software is unfortunately part of life. "

Today, non-tech octogenarians are operating smartphones with more powerful hardware and software than was used in the Apollo program. The art and science of user interface design has been advancing exponentially since the 70's when the GUI was invented at Xerox PARC. Confusion does not have to be a part of life, at least when it comes to computer user interface design.

N3V has demonstrated competence with the tutorial sessions -- they are a great way to bring in new users.

I just think improvements need to made:

1. Getting new users to the tutorials
2. More tutorials
3. Better organization and explanation of content management.

Back