Multople Industry New - Layers

Robertbc6

Hi,

I've doing some experimenting with M.I.N.'s, and I have a question about the layer selection box. There appear to be three possible selections - route-layer, session-layer, and floor. All the recommendations I have read indicate this should be left at route-layer. Does anyone know of an instance when session-layer would be preferred? The only thing I could think of, is when you are doing a session for a payware route, and don't want to cause a conflict with the payware route. Anything else come to mind? And what in the world is the floor layer?? Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob Morrison

Bob this option should cycle thru the available layers in the route. MINs are industries and I think they should be included in route layer(s) rather than session-layer. So maybe someone can clue me in on that too.

If you check the layer tab in surveyor I think you'll find a layer named floor - most likely added by the route builder for some reason or other but sounds like it might be part of a model railroad room.

Bob Pearson

Ordinarily I would place anything that is part of or attached to track into the route-layer (where the track should be). However if this is a payware route then you will not be able to edit anything in the route layers.

If this M.I.N. is something that you have added yourself as part of a new session, then it will have to go into a session layer.

Your post did not make it clear but if it is part of the original payware route then you will need to use a different tactic. Specifically:-

1. Create a new session layer
  2. Select the M.I.N. and open its properties
  3. Click in the Bound Layer box and select your newly created session layer

This keeps the M.I.N. in the route (so no payware violations have occurred) but saves it as an asset in your new session. Confusing I know but it is the only way I know of that allows you to edit assets in a payware route.

Don't want to mess the issue of M.I.Ns. anymore than what it is, but I have to share my findings:

* Let's say you add an M.I.N. (a new one that was not there before). If you install it in the Route, and set all the commoditites to your needs, and after this you save the route, when you open a session, it will stay there with all the settings and commodities.
* Now you open the route again and decide to add a commodity or change anything,: save. Open the session, and these changes are NOT there. Anything you set must be made when you install for first time before saving the route.
* Naturally, the new changes or additions you want to make, should be added in the Session. By doing this, the original configuration in the Route is unchanged, in other words, they will be in the Session but not the Route.

The same applies for Junction controllers, points settings, invisible speed controllers and all. Install in Route, set, and you will have them set in Sessions. A caveat: Changing settings AFTER you have saved the initial period when you install, and the settings don't get saved to Sessions. And what you set in Sessions, will not show in the Route, but will stay faithfully in the Session.

This have been a source of confusion for many.

This have been a source of confusion for many.

The main issue (if it is an issue) is that Sessions allow you to create different "performances" (for want of a better word) with the same actors and scenery - to use an analogy. By placing the settings for items such as junction controllers (which I no longer use now that Interlocking Towers are here), Interlocking Towers, switches, industries, commodity levels, weather conditions, etc, etc into the Sessions you can create separate sessions without having to change the assets or the Route.

For example, the switches can be set one way for Session A and another way for Session B making the use of Autodrive commands (for example) in those Sessions much easier. Likewise the same industries can be producing different quantities of the same (or different) products in the different Sessions.

Certainly, it can take some getting used to but the advantages of this far outweigh the problems (such as confusion) that it can cause those who are not experienced in creating Sessions. My opinions.

I only configure M.I.N.'s in a session they remain unconfigured within a route construction. Almost always sessions will differ from each other so what is the point in configuring these in the route. Same applies to E.I.T'a with the exception of a base session for towers which can be re-used when creating new sessions. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers,
Val.

Back