Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overly aggressive AI. I witnessed an AI drive derail my train!

Quote Originally Posted by MP242 View Post
    Or just STOP driving by AI control, Problem fixed
    Using that 'logic', we could 'fix' the problem by uninstalling Trainz.

The beauty of Trainz is that it allows a range of options to appeal to a wide range of user profiles. If my interest was to treat Trainz like an arcade game, and see how long I could spend editing a route before the inevitable crash, or see how long I could run a fleet of AI until two of them inevitably merge into one train or derail, I'd be thrilled with it. The same if I got an adrenaline rush every time I opened map view, knowing the frequency that this causes the entire program to crash when trying to work in surveyor.

Sadly, those who have developed the game tend to favour some of the aspects more than others. It's kinda cute that the rolling stock now rocks from side to side and some of the assets have realistic shadows, but the tools for creating and editing textures, contours and water features are the same as they were when I first bought into this hobby at build 2365 [2004]. Industries that are over 15 years old are still as crude and unrealistic as they were when first developed. Few, if any completely new industries have been added in recent times. AI has been glitchy and illogical since day one. The download station remains a 'wild west' dustbin full of the good, the bad and the ugly. It's used as a selling point to encourage new users to buy into the game, but the developers flatly refuse to take control of the numerous defective assets and frankly crappy layouts and buildings that date back to the earliest days of Trainz.

Scrapping AI might appeal to a small sector of users, bringing the whole game up to the realism standards of contemporary console products would appeal to a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete_Bob View Post
    Using that 'logic', we could 'fix' the problem by uninstalling Trainz.

The beauty of Trainz is that it allows a range of options to appeal to a wide range of user profiles. If my interest was to treat Trainz like an arcade game, and see how long I could spend editing a route before the inevitable crash, or see how long I could run a fleet of AI until two of them inevitably merge into one train or derail, I'd be thrilled with it. The same if I got an adrenaline rush every time I opened map view, knowing the frequency that this causes the entire program to crash when trying to work in surveyor.

Sadly, those who have developed the game tend to favour some of the aspects more than others. It's kinda cute that the rolling stock now rocks from side to side and some of the assets have realistic shadows, but the tools for creating and editing textures, contours and water features are the same as they were when I first bought into this hobby at build 2365 [2004]. Industries that are over 15 years old are still as crude and unrealistic as they were when first developed. Few, if any completely new industries have been added in recent times. AI has been glitchy and illogical since day one. The download station remains a 'wild west' dustbin full of the good, the bad and the ugly. It's used as a selling point to encourage new users to buy into the game, but the developers flatly refuse to take control of the numerous defective assets and frankly crappy layouts and buildings that date back to the earliest days of Trainz.

Scrapping AI might appeal to a small sector of users, bringing the whole game up to the realism standards of contemporary console products would appeal to a lot more.
    Agree it's most of this,but ultimately it all comes down to the number of people who use this sort of software , we don't have millions of people using Trainz and even games that do have huge audiences which are cheap to buy don't make a lot of money as it coasts a great deal to develop and keep a game ahead of the competitors . We are a niche and a pretty unique niche as much of the content is made by users . It would be nice if NV3 could make everything work and look great , it really given the circumstances, I don't thinek they can afford to ever get that state of affairs to happen and to also make a profit. I'd rather have what we've got it's al, it's imperfections than not have it at all,
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    It would be nice if NV3 could make everything work and look great
    Indeed it would. Until then, perhaps they should stop pretending that it does.

Constantly releasing 'new' versions that are little more than a fresh coat of paint on very old tech is a bit of a scam. Issuing 'Service packs' that result in the whole game crashing more frequently is a bit of a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Concrete_Bob View Post
    Indeed it would. Until then, perhaps they should stop pretending that it does.

Constantly releasing 'new' versions that are little more than a fresh coat of paint on very old tech is a bit of a scam. Issuing 'Service packs' that result in the whole game crashing more frequently is a bit of a joke.
    To be fair , this sim is a unique example , it's biggest plus, the huge range of content , is also a nightmare to keep bug free. I'm sue Nv3 have regular nightmares trying to keep up and develop the app.

So with new versions, I usually don't bother to install them , at least ,not for a long while ......I'm still on TANE SP3 as I know it's quirks and they don't seem to interfere with route building too much. I do the same with operating systems , I don't install a new one until its proven to be stable. I cannot fathom the mindset of someone which installs a new brand new OS the day it's available onto a whole room of computers that are needed to work 24/7 and who then discovers the third party printer drivers don't work ...... I've seen it happen time after time ....
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,