Are there any downloadable driveable "train vehicles" (traincars) in the guise of:

JonMyrlennBailey

Are there any downloadable driveable "train vehicles" (traincars) in the guise of:

1. automobiles, ordinary passenger cars?
2. classic 1950's-1970's cars?
3. straight commercial trucks? (not tractor-trailers)
4. yellow school buses?
5. power boats?
6. sailboats?
7. Greyhound buses?

Yes, I've made a vintage VW Beetle as a driveable vehicle, just look for '1963 VW Beetle' to find it. It comes in many colours and has many opening features and animations plus a custom engine sound. It also has animated interior controls with a clutch pedal that needs to be pressed before forward or reverse can be selected.

Yes, I've made a vintage VW Beetle as a driveable vehicle, just look for '1963 VW Beetle' to find it. It comes in many colours and has many opening features and animations plus a custom engine sound. It also has animated interior controls with a clutch pedal that needs to be pressed before forward or reverse can be selected.

I would like to learn how to convert a static vehicle into a Trainz "locomotive".

The tires will have to roll when the vehicle moves and the front tires should also steer.
The driveable car, truck or bus will also need operating headlights. And the proper automotive
enginesounds.

I would like to learn how to convert a static vehicle into a Trainz "locomotive".

The tires will have to roll when the vehicle moves and the front tires should also steer.
The driveable car, truck or bus will also need operating headlights. And the proper automotive
enginesounds.
You, Yourself, can make any asset driveable, and have single lame enginesound (non-throttling) however making the wheels turn, make wheels steer, and have operating headlights, is totally impossible "for you yourself to do", unless you are driving American Truck Simulator, which you appear to love.

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...cking-action-for-Trainz&p=1769765#post1769765

Last edited:
Converting would be difficult, but making it from scratch is no different than making a loco, apart from the mesh itself, of course. A loco has all those features. You would ignore the bits in the driver's cab that that aren't relevant to a road vehicle, and the style of some of the controls will change. The only thing that might be difficult is to make the steering wheel respond to changes in direction. The steering wheel could be configured as a dial, but AFAIK there is no mechanism for get the current angle of the wheels in order to set the dial.

Converting would be difficult, but making it from scratch is no different than making a loco, apart from the mesh itself, of course. A loco has all those features. You would ignore the bits in the driver's cab that that aren't relevant to a road vehicle, and the style of some of the controls will change. The only thing that might be difficult is to make the steering wheel respond to changes in direction. The steering wheel could be configured as a dial, but AFAIK there is no mechanism for get the current angle of the wheels in order to set the dial.

I'll probably then pass with notion of home-rolling asserts myself from scratch.

I don't need the steering wheel to turn, just the front wheels on the road. In the Kenworth tractors the wheels and axles on the road are considered "bogies".

The Kenworth tractors I've using:

Truck Kenworth 2 Primemover righthand driver,<kuid2:97008:60264:1> by willem2

Using parameters changes in edit config, I was able to modify this truck so only the front tires steer, not the rear drive axles, bogies. The original content has the intermediate axle steering
as well as the front tires.

Last edited:
You, Yourself, can make any asset driveable, and have single lame enginesound (non-throttling) however making the wheels turn, make wheels steer, and have operating headlights, is totally impossible "for you yourself to do", unless you are driving American Truck Simulator, which you appear to love.

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...cking-action-for-Trainz&p=1769765#post1769765

I've actually gotten bored with the truck simulator and resumed Trainz again. When Trainz bores me, I'll move back to the truck sim. Adding new things as driveable boats and road vehicles makes Trainz less boring.

I've actually gotten bored with the truck simulator and resumed Trainz again. When Trainz bores me, I'll move back to the truck sim. Adding new things as driveable boats and road vehicles makes Trainz less boring.

Yeah, they're fixing to add Utah to American Truck Simulator (Yawn). So far, all they've (mostly) done is add about two states a year, and so far, these states all pretty much are all desert and scrub grass. There's a few forested states like Northern California, Oregon, and Washington, but most of the scenery looks pretty much the same. Wait till they start adding the Northern and Southern states (probably in about ten years, judging from the super slow speed they work at). Then they'll have their work cut out for them to design these parts of the USA.

As far as Trainz being boring? I've never found that to be true.

Yeah, they're fixing to add Utah to American Truck Simulator (Yawn). So far, all they've (mostly) done is add about two states a year, and so far, these states all pretty much are all desert and scrub grass. There's a few forested states like Northern California, Oregon, and Washington, but most of the scenery looks pretty much the same. Wait till they start adding the Northern and Southern states (probably in about ten years, judging from the super slow speed they work at). Then they'll have their work cut out for them to design these parts of the USA.

As far as Trainz being boring? I've never found that to be true.

The ATS maps aren't to scale either and neither is the time and the daylight hours.

The sun simply doesn't rise and set within an hour real time.

Good luck driving to Sacramento to Bakersfield in less than 15 minutes in a real vehicle.

Use pev's attachment maker to add attachment points to the mesh. Then lights can be added and talk very nicely to a content creator and a pair of rotating wheels can be added slightly wider than the original. Steering wheels are more difficult but can be done.

Cheerio John

By steering wheels you mean "front tires" that make contact with the road. Like the rotating bogies on RR rolling stock. The "steering wheel" that the driver puts his hands on doesn't need to be animated for me.

Truck Kenworth 2 Primemover righthand driver,<kuid2:97008:60264:1> by willem2already has steering front tires on his creation. There are static versions of his "traincar" Kenworth truck tractors also.

Wishing you all the luck in the world with your own endeavor at personal custom content creation of this feature, I think you are "on your own" with this project

I will just be satisfied by whatever others have made already that I can download and maybe tweak a bit in config. I will dive in no deeper than that.
I have no endeavors to achieve a Doctorate in Trainzology, DT.

Back