A Returnee asks What's the differences between TANE and TS2019

flaugher

I guess like many folks, I bounce around the sims. Most recently I've done a few years of Run8. Love the realism, and their AI. And after all, without competition there is little improvement. Can't wait for Smokebox to finish their Big Boy for Trainsim 2020. Anyhow, I'm coming back now and my most recent downloads of Trainz were TS12 and the original TANE. So, what today are the major differences between TANE and TS2019? :eek:

TS19 has interesting lighting but you need to work to get it look right. TANE allows you to select content by author in the game, TS19 the latest beta does but not the released version. TS19 handles PBR textures and FBX meshes but these seem to work best in 3DS. There appears to be a learning curve at the moment for content creators using Blender and the new PBR textures apparently need fairly expensive software to get the best out of them when creating.

Translation the barrier for creating content appears to be higher for TS19 using PBR and FBX however the old stuff works fairly well in TS19.

Computer wise the impression I have is they need similar computer or rather GPU power to run. A minimum of a GTX 1050 TI and ideally an RTX 2070 both seem indifferent to the precise CPU.

Cheerio John

I'll be sticking with T:ANE
Agreed, runs legacy routes and assets great. Went back to TANE.

tane4_0073.jpg

TRS2019 requires endless fiddling in Environment to get results. TANE just requires reset the Environment settings and reduce the fog.

Harold

Last edited:
Agreed, runs legacy routes and assets great. Went back to TANE.

tane4_0073.jpg

TRS2019 requires endless fiddling in Environment to get results. TANE just requires reset the Environment settings and reduce the fog.

Harold

yep TANE for the time being ,i'm still using SP3 and have few issues with it , but I'm only route building. I also don't get some of the benefits of 2019 as I dont have a Nvidia card, I just see few advantages in bothering with 2019, maybe in a year or so....

Well, reading this thread thus far I'm beginning to feel that I might be one of the few who thinks that TRS19 is a significant step forward over all the previous incarnations of Trainz.

I certainly don't claim to be an expert in route construction, but the combined effects of the new tracks plus the new PBR textures plus the TurfFX grasses allows me to achieve much better results that I could with T:ANE and TS12. This thread shows one of my layouts. You can make up your own mind whether it is better than the T:ANE version:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...S19-model-railroad-layout-The-Lilliput-Logger

TRS19%20Lilliput%2010.jpg

Phil

I agree Philskene's routes have been a stunning showcase for 2019. I have not made the leap yet, becuase there are still a lot of screenshots of outdoor/prototypical routes that seem to have a lot of trouble with lighting and distance, and several content creators still seem to be working on new trees and shrubs because of LOD issues. These are just my impressions with what I am seeing, so FWIW...

Jankvis creating his DIY Billboard Speedtrees brought me back to Trainz. No more blobby trees in the distance.

tane3_002.jpg

The Billboard Speedtrees hold their shape in the distance.

Regular Speed trees blob out to a vague outline in the distance.

Kji4nF.jpg

Those little circled images are the LOD levels with 3d Speedtrees, truly awful.

Harold

I archived my copy of TANE and I only use TS2012 and TS2019 because I think TS2019 is better. The out of the box 'sun just went supernova' lighting in TS2019 can be tamed, but I agree it is a bit of a learning curve. I treat TS2019 like it's an updated version of TS2012 so I don't use any of the 'magic' stuff which seems to cause endless frustration for people and simply enjoy its better performance. I do all my creating in TS2012 though just because it's easier and I'm not a member of any of the game rental schemes and I stay away from beta streams. I've moved several favourite legacy layouts over to TS2019 and I never had any problems with doing that.

Well, reading this thread thus far I'm beginning to feel that I might be one of the few who thinks that TRS19 is a significant step forward over all the previous incarnations of Trainz.

No - that is the old trap of those who disagree with a proposition, like TRS19 being better than TANE (which it clearly and unarguably is), are far more likely to post their negative point of view. Those who agree with the proposition are far too busy enjoying using it to bother posting a reply. My opinion.

Yup - No "ifs" , "Buts" , or "maybes" - TRS19 is unquestionably - and demonstrably - superior to ALL previous Trainz versions, including the now remarkably evolved T:ANE.
It is not perfect, but then no software ever is.
Screenshots shown by those claiming the lighting is better in T:ANE evidence the fact that they simply haven't mastered the environment & atmospheric lighting settings dialog and Post-Processing tools in either simulator.

Yup - No "ifs" , "Buts" , or "maybes" - TRS19 is unquestionably - and demonstrably - superior to ALL previous Trainz versions, including the now remarkably evolved T:ANE.
Screenshots shown by those claiming the lighting is better in T:ANE evidence the fact that they simply haven't mastered the environment & atmospheric lighting settings dialog and Post-Processing tools in either simulator.
Legacy routes, the majority of routes, with the graphics dumbed down to look halfway decent still don't look good in TRS2019.

Yeah, I mastered the Environment and found legacy routes only looked semi-decent if they were "Taned".

taned_001.jpg

Same route in TANE with Billboard Speedtrees.

tane4_0087.jpg

tane4_0086.jpg

The grass assets "glow" in TRS2019.

Harold

Last edited:

There is little education, communication, and dialog about the subject. Here's one place to start:
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Environment_Tools

Ultimately the decision is yours. It appears you already have T:ANE Deluxe so why not stick with that for now. There's nothing stopping you from upgrading later, or even purchasing TRS19 at some point in the future. It's not as though these programs are mutually exclusive and adding them both on your hard drive will turn the PC into a pile of green goo.

But the problem with TRS2019 lighting is the fact that it's near impossible to get a good mid-day lighting setup,although it is easier to do morning and evening lighting.

...As for differences,most of the T:ANE UI is very similar to the TS12 UI,but the TRS2019 UI was half-baked compared to the T:ANE UI to me,although it wasn't the worst. And the default TRS2019 lighting is horrid,and the default T:ANE lighting only really needed reduced fog. Although TurfFX was very nice,at the same time the UI for it wasn't very user-friendly,and PBR seems to mostly turn into unrealistically metallic reflections,even if it was a wooden trestle. And height-mapped textures are excellent when used correctly,but a lot of the textures have height differences to severe,or as in one of the built-in ballast textures,looked more like a bunch of eggshells right side up covered with dirt.

So,if you can master it,TRS2019 can possibly be better than T:ANE,but T:ANE's UI is much more user-friendly. I will admit,TRS2019 had much more potential than T:ANE,but N3V somehow messed up with the reflections and lighting,which I think almost blew it. So the decision is down to what the view of realism is.

No program is bug free,but old wood isn't metallic ether.

So where's your screenshots to demonstrate how good your '19 looks, along with a list of your PP settings to educate the rest of us thickos?

I'm using TRS19 but the lighting is crap as others have stated. N3V need to sort out the default so it at least doesn't shine like high gloss paint off everything at mid-day, including their own PBR track which not only has the high shine but shimmers with moire in the mid distance. Frankly I've looked at the advanced settings, but even if I know what I'm doing, AFAIK there is still no way to permasave a satisfactory result(s) which you can then keep as a list of presets. Most other games don't expect users to delve around under the hood to get a half decent image on the screen! :)

Back