A Returnee asks What's the differences between TANE and TS2019

I remember how good that initial release of TRS2019 looked.

trs19_32.jpg

Now there are sparkly artifacts all over the loco.

Harold

Last edited:
First of all, thank you to everyone who replied. I appreciate your comments. Secondly, I'm mostly a REALISM guy, from the standpoint of rail operations, which probably explains why I HAVE spent so much time these last few years with Run8. While I DO enjoy nice scenery, that's a little bit secondary to me. I suppose that's why there's different sims out there, because there's different reasons people drive them. Run8 is very slight on content. Two regions in America, none overseas, all content is produced by the producers, and in short it's extrememly "restricted" because Run8 was designed to be multiplayer-server, and on those servers operations is the name of the game. I'm not there for the multiplayer though, just the realism. I love inching forward in a mile-long train and hearing the couplers stretch. I enjoy slipping into dynamic braking for just a minute to keep from exceeding the speed limit. I like the fact that everything on the MFD's work! So, I will probably NOT give up Run8 anytime soon, but just hoping Trainz and Railsim (Train SImulator) might be developing the sort of "operational realism" that appeals to me.

Last edited:
The train "games" are all about XP these days, not much else. (Well selling DLC or in the case of N3V, subscription memberships).

I'm going to TRY and post this, so everyone can see what kind of realism I'm talking about. I know you're gonna think the graphics are ... yesterday's? And if you're wondering why I wait until after the airbrake CFM gets under 40 to depart, it's to ensure the brakes on the rear of the train have released and don't cause me to break couplers (as in real life). Anyhow ...

Last edited:
I've just watched the first part of the video in you link in the post above. In all honesty, and despite being a strong supporter of Trainz, if you are looking for that level of realism in train operation you will be bitterly disappointed with Trainz.

If, however, you want to construct your own railroad, set up your own sessions, or have some FUN without bothering about the more serious side of train operations then you might find Trainz enjoyable.

I was not all that impressed with the video. Great detail in the cab and the loco overall. The shot of the couplers and wheels while moving was impressive. But other than that, I don't see much difference. In fact, I'd say Trainz has more realistic ground and track ballast, especially with 2019, but even in T:ANE, the scenery overall is very similar, and I was not impressed at all with the sound. It had way too much static intruding in, something that Trainz occasionally suffers from as well, if the sound files have DC offset. I think the cab controls on some of Trainz better cabs are pretty similar. But we all have our opinions, so that was just my $.02.

Oh, yeah. I understand everyone's points. And believe me, I'm NOT here to advertize for Run8. I'm just saying this is the kind of thing I'm interested in, and wondered who the group thought would be closest to this sim in terms of operational realness. One of the things ALL the Run8 adherents are ALWAYS asking for from the developers is better graphics. In a way it's a whole different kind of cat. As I said earlier, we're limited to two areas of the US, Southern California and the CSX tracks from Florida up to Georgia. And again, the content ONLY comes from the developers. And again, THEIR focus is on the servers and the group thing. People come at this sime FOR that sort of activity. I'm very much in the "middle", so to speak.

Sorry, yes I got to centered on graphics. You might try the 7th tutorial (Realistic Mode) in T:ANE where you operate the actual cab controls, brakes, throttle, etc. and see how it suits you. One caveat, I am currently at T:ANE SP3, the brake pressure is not releasing for me, and I can't drive the train anywhere, so the tutorial is over before it starts. I tried posting it and even posted screenshots, but never got much of a response. Probably should have turned it in to the help desk...

Downloading Mojave Sub now, just to do a better comparison. And I did get the TANE update to SP3. I did notice on a Dash-2 that the Indy brake works much better (more realistic) in TANE than Railsimulator Train Sim 2020. I DO realize that folks here are much more into the graphical interface. My original question though was the difference between TANE and TS2019. I understand it is a different graphic engine. TRS19 has the original graphics engine plus the "PBR" addition while TANE is the new E2 engine. IS IT THE SAME COMPANY / DEVELOPER?

Well, that was nice. I ran from Bakersfield up past Bealville using advanced controls. Everything seemed to work well, even holding the train with the Indy brake while starting (TS2020 won't do that). The designer knew that Illmon is no longer a siding but double-track all the way to Caliente. Pretty scenery. The AI seemed good, except I had to throw the switch for a westbound at Allard West to let him proceed. Either that or the dispatcher was asleep. I assume eventually the develop will fix the grade crossings so the lights come on the the crossarms come down. Some cars on the roads would be nice.

Downloading Mojave Sub now, just to do a better comparison. And I did get the TANE update to SP3. I did notice on a Dash-2 that the Indy brake works much better (more realistic) in TANE than Railsimulator Train Sim 2020. I DO realize that folks here are much more into the graphical interface. My original question though was the difference between TANE and TS2019. I understand it is a different graphic engine. TRS19 has the original graphics engine plus the "PBR" addition while TANE is the new E2 engine. IS IT THE SAME COMPANY / DEVELOPER?

N3V is the developer of the E2 engine and developer of the Trainz versions. This is a proprietary 64-bit engine aimed strictly at train simulation. TRS19 is a new version of Trainz and is of course based on the same underlying code that is in T:ANE - why reinvent the wheel if not everything is going to change. This is not uncommon with a lot of software development including operating systems (Windows, Linux, OS/x), and other programs.

The E2 engine was developed from the ground up for train simulation, as mentioned. This came about because the developers could not find a commercial game engine that would support their open-ended environment as they went about looking for a replacement for the venerable Auran Jet game engine first developed in the early 2000s. Yes Trainz has been around that long! Like a lot of "engines", the old Auran Jet even at version 2.0 was well beyond what it could handle. Like an old car, things were bolted on that never were thought of when the program was first developed, repairs were made, but like things that were bolted on it didn't work well. There were other issues too such as the limitations of the 32-bit code that prevented optimal memory and processor usage, graphics limitations due to the older DX9 version, and other things such as thread-locking, process-locking, etc., that caused performance problems.

These changes, of course, exposed a lot of underlying flaws in older assets which have been updated, and that update process is still ongoing. There's a dedicated group of volunteers who work with N3V developers and customer support to repair and update all existing older assets, that can be repaired, that are currently on the Download Station (DLS). This is an ongoing process that will be in progress for sometime given the nearly half million assets on the DLS to date.

In TRS19 outside of the graphics changes, there are some improved logic and code-threading improvements over and above what came about in T:ANE as well as additional changes to accommodate future updates such as what is seen now in the test-version of TRS19 - aka TRS2019-Plus. These changes include the unified Surveyor-Developer interface (It's still a bit buggy now), an upcoming multi-user surveyor which was tested two years ago separately but is still in development, as well as other improvements that are planned for the future.

With that said, T:ANE as a product is not dead even though it's an earlier iteration of the same technology. There are service packs planned along with hotfixes as they are needed. Right now there's a service pack in beta to be released soon(tm) for public consumption. You can try the SP4 if you wish by changing your update options in the Launcher.

At this point in the game, no pun intended, you are coming in at the right point. T:ANE and TRS19 are the best versions to date.

It that kinda the same reason Dovetail has TS2020 and TSW? I know about the same time Run8 went to V2 and thier graphics got much better.

Last edited:
A bit non-sequitor at this point, but I did want to mention in the original video for this post I did much prefer the sound as the train went over the track junctions and switches. I thought it sounded more realistic than the clatter I hear in T:ANE....

Back