Sessions- Why lack of "Drive To" option?

1611mac

- - . -
Just curious... Most sessions I download always have "Navigate To," "Drive to TM," and "Drive via Trackmark" Driver commands enabled.

But very few have "Drive To,", and "Drive to Industry" enabled?

Any reason why? It seems to me that many times "Drive To" would be better used than "Navigate to."

Depends on version. I can only say for Tane, Navigate to only applies to industry, and drive to/via, refers to trackmarks only. I have never used 'navigate to' and as trackmarks work so well, don't see the need for them?

If it is a 3rd party session, many times the author wants you to use cab mode, and does not configure the session with those auto commands.

Drive To =Drive to an industry or station
Drive to TM =Drive to a trackmark
Drive via TM =Drive via a trackmark
Those all take a direct path to the objective. The equivalent Navigate commands will find a path to the objective via other paths if blocked

Depends on version. I can only say for Tane, Navigate to only applies to industry, and drive to/via, refers to trackmarks only. I have never used 'navigate to' and as trackmarks work so well, don't see the need for them?

TRS19 is what I'm referring to. (sorry for lack of info)

If it is a 3rd party session, many times the author wants you to use cab mode, and does not configure the session with those auto commands.

Yes, that makes sense.

Also, I guess really my posted thought was not complete as I'm also referring to "Quickdrive" sessions from 3rd party routes and sessions such as Philskenes where consists are set and written directions provided and that's about all (Which is what I really enjoy. I really don't care for markers and such).

I have probably acquired a bad habit
of jumping into Quickdrive or one of these "setup oriented only" sessions and then using Driver commands to "run the route" doing various stops and such (with "Navigate to"), thus setting up a "one time AI session" so to speak. What I should do initially is just clone a session or create a new one, setting my own options, including Environment, Driver Commands, etc.

But I was just curious as it seems to me that if Driver command "Navigate to" is enabled it would make sense to also have "Drive to" enabled, but seems to me this is rarely the case.

Drive To =Drive to an industry or station
Drive to TM =Drive to a trackmark
Drive via TM =Drive via a trackmark
Those all take a direct path to the objective. The equivalent Navigate commands will find a path to the objective via other paths if blocked

I unstained that... but when a Norfolk Southern freight has to stop on a siding and wait for another train to pass isn't that what they do. Stop and wait. They don't go looking for another route. There surely are times when "Drive To" is warranted. Yet most times I see "Navigate To" command available but not "Drive To." There may be "Drive To TM" but rarely is there "Drive To Industry" - Or am I just dreaming that? Maybe it's just the routes/sessions I choose? (Also see above post)

Last edited:
TRS19 is what I'm referring to. (sorry for lack of info)

I have probably acquired a bad habit
of jumping into Quickdrive or one of these "setup oriented only" sessions and then using Driver commands to "run the route" doing various stops and such (with "Navigate to"), thus setting up a "one time AI session" so to speak. What I should do initially is just clone a session or create a new one, setting my own options, including Environment, Driver Commands, etc.

Yes, you could. There are so many useful rules and commands that you can add to a session to customize it.

Using the Drive To (and via too) versus Navigate To commands seems to have changed since earlier versions of Trainz. If I recall, TS12 had Drive To as the default and since then it has switched to Navigate To as the default in the command list. Most session creators probably don't care, or realize the difference and use the default Navigate To.

For the most part, the Navigate version works 90% of the time as is and there's no need for the Drive version of the commands. There are times, however, when the Drive version is quite useful where we need the implicit control of an AI driver such as in those areas where navigating around various other paths is not an option.

Sometime ago one of N3V's Trainz Developers put together an AI User's Guide in the blogs.

Here's the links to pertinent blog posts that explain these commands along with useful information on setting up sessions.

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/entry.php?951-Using-the-Trainz-AI-in-sessions-Part-1

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/entry.php?958-Using-the-Trainz-AI-in-sessions-Part-2

Last edited:
Back