"Add Random Scenery" Tool

hminky

Blind Squirrel
Anybody else try this, all I heard about making forests was "cut and paste". Am using TANE and Jankvis DIY Billboard Speedtrees.

tane4_0069.jpg

tane4_0070.jpg

Have met with good results on vegetating mountainsides.

jankvis_tane_32.jpg

The area tool is dynamic, a new area can be selected. That stops the previous area and continues in the new area.

Great stuff
Harold

Last edited:
I use the Copy/Paste Selection for foresting almost exclusively. You can use Paste/replace or for denser planting Paste/add. Also using the rotate dial in the Copy/Paste tool panel allows variation of the overall appearance.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

I use very large area selections for the borders away from other scenery and smaller and smaller selections as I approach roads/tracks etc. Finally I place individual trees to fill the areas left. After I've done all that for the area I'm working on I use the Bulk Asset tool, adding all the trees I use for forestation to the left side and Randomly Rotate the trees.

For the ProtoClinchfield I forested the entire 60 mile length of the route out to the borders on both sides in about three months. I used RoysTrainz seasonal SpeedTrees and I still get frame rates in the 20-30 FPS range.

TANE SP3

I've been tempted by the Random Scenery tool but never experimented with it.

:D

Last edited:
The "Add Random Scenery" is like "painting" trees on the landscape.

I placed trees into the white rectangle, moved to the red rectangle, moved to the green rectangle.

tane4_0071.jpg

tane4_0051.jpg

Harold

I like the random adding as well but sometimes it places trees on top of others, or right next to another (the trunks). So I go back through the forest and delete a bunch of them. It is a fast way to populate a forest.

I only tried this once in the early days to test the tool and it crashed back then during the beta.

Note to self: Must try this again.

Thank you for the reminder, Harold!

As RJArtim wrote it does work OK but you do frequently need to go back and move assets about which have been placed on top of each other. I have attached a spare baseboard to my route as a work area for creating the likes of wooded areas, mixed vegetation, mixed textures etc. then cut and paste from this into my route. What I've created can be used many times and modified as required and as the route develops I attached a new baseboard close to where I'm currently working, copy/paste the content to it before delete the old board. Peter

I used this on my EK3 route. I also found it easier to control if you do small areas at a time.
Cheers, Mike

When I tried the random tool in TANE, it worked with "Anywhere in route" and "Current section" but I couldn't work out how to make "In selected area" work. That option just refused to even become active. Clues anyone?

Same as the copy and paste system
Select an area and press go
Cheers,
Mike
Wasn't quite clear on what I said. Did not have Trainz open and old memory lets me down sometimes/
When you select "In selected area", a small red square appears. Click on this then select your area and choose begin. Click stop once you get what you want.

Last edited:
..When you select "In selected area", a small red square appears. Click on this then select your area and choose begin. Click stop once you get what you want.

Got it. Didn't notice the red square appearing in the selection panel before.

Works well, but having seen it, I prefer the greater control and speed you get with the copy/paste method. Then again, I'm not a route builder any longer.

Back