Another blast from the past

martinvk

since 10 Aug 2002
Remember John Banks and his thesis on "Negotiating Participatory Culture in the New Media Environment Auran and the Trainz Online Community – An (Im)possible Relation"?
read it here

One of the interesting things to read were some of the many active community members who were there in the early days. Jetstreamsky, Sdark, Austin316hockey, Jonny211, Strat, Bobo88, Marlboro, Vongarv, Prowler901, Magicland, cbowes, Narrowgauge, Gumby, Badtrash, Bitstorm, Mutey, Amethyst. That was a long time ago and we still have an active community - amazing.

Interesting thing was the lack of documentation, the perennial orphan. Somethings never change.

The enthusiasm of the people about what was on what was being shown and available their screens is also great to read. I wonder if any of them had any idea where it would eventually lead?

Remember John Banks and his thesis on "Negotiating Participatory Culture in the New Media Environment Auran and the Trainz Online Community – An (Im)possible Relation"?
read it here

One of the interesting things to read were some of the many active community members who were there in the early days. Jetstreamsky, Sdark, Austin316hockey, Jonny211, Strat, Bobo88, Marlboro, Vongarv, Prowler901, Magicland, cbowes, Narrowgauge, Gumby, Badtrash, Bitstorm, Mutey, Amethyst. That was a long time ago and we still have an active community - amazing.

Interesting thing was the lack of documentation, the perennial orphan. Somethings never change.

The enthusiasm of the people about what was on what was being shown and available their screens is also great to read. I wonder if any of them had any idea where it would eventually lead?

That paper by Mr Banks makes me SO grateful I am no longer involved in the world of education .......... :)

That paper by Mr Banks makes me SO grateful I am no longer involved in the world of education .......... :)
You mean the grammar? yea, I think that a PhD thesis has to sound complicated.

I was looking beyond the words and more at what was happening at that train show and then when the P10 was first shown. The way those people reacted and participated really shows the beginnings of the community that would go on to become such a long running activity for many. I may have missed the opening whistle but was thankful to have found one of the early versions of Trainz in a local computer store. Quite by accident when the cover attracted my attention. Bought it and have been here ever since. Being a world wide community, physical meetings are not always easy. Of the people mentioned in that thesis, I only ever met one of them when working on another Trainz project. Years ago when Trainz went to the Toronto NMRA show and later at the Cincinnati show did I meet some other members of this community.

Back