A new PC monitor - what should I look for?

John

Thanks for that link to the Tom's Hardware article. The whole subject of monitors and colour is like Russian Dolls, but it's a very useful summary of the main issues. I'll study it and make a list of the specs I need to have in hand when I eventually go shopping. From what I've read so far, the hardest choice is to decide whether I'm a gamer or a content creator because no monitor is great for both. :)

Deane

If playing TRS or simulator like games, You are not real gamer in terms of LCD specs classification.

Have a look at this Video, explains pretty much all you need to know and take into consideration when buying a monitor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZwCDBBwSdU

Malc, that was brilliant. He talks so fast, I think his refresh rate must be <0.1msec. With all my stops and note taking, it took me 1hr 20min to get through the 18min video, but it was well worth it. I know what to look for now.

Cheers

Dino

Last edited:
Let us know final result...

Since I'm both a gamer and a content creator, and PBR textures are in sRGB colour space, this is my wish list for a monitor. I'm just hoping an nVidia GTX 980Ti card can drive it and I'm sure I can rob a bank when the time comes to pay for it.

Does this list make sense?

Size: 27 inch (68.6 cm)
Resolution: Quad HD (2560 x 1440 pixels), but might need to settle for Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels).
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Panel type: IPS
Response time: <5ms
Input lag time: <11ms
Refresh rate: 75 fps minimum
Adaptive sync: FreeSync2 (will that work with an nVidia card??).
HDR: HDR10
Colour accuracy: >90% sRGB, >70% Adobe RGB (hopefully, I can get something even closer to 100%, like Zec's monitor)
Display ports: HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2 (I believe the GTX980Ti has both types of ports).

Back