Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new PC monitor - what should I look for?

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    Bringing up as a point to discuss as I am not a "PC" guy (I mainly use Macs) - I built a PC just for Trainz. Wanted a lower end G-Sync monitor and I got an Asus VP247. Though the monitor has G-sync my NVIDIA Control Panel says that the monitor is "not validated as G-Sync compatible."

Should monitor be purchased in consideration of GPU???
    There seem to be several versions of the VP247, one has Free-Sync / variable sync can't find one with G-Sync though.... yet and it's not on the Asus list for G-Sync compatible monitors? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...onitors/specs/
    If it's actually Free sync (AMD feature), some will work with G-Sync but not very many of them. If the G-sync option is showing but not validated try ticking G-sync in the Nvidia Control Panel and see what happens but at your own risk as may or may not have stability issues.

At a guess some suppliers are not realising there is a difference between Free Sync and G-Sync?

Edit: Nvidia are not officially supporting free Sync however are probably as it's Open Source it is rumoured they may be including the ability to use it for G-Sync. AMD can't use Gsync yet? as its Nvidia's copyright.
    Last edited by clam1952; October 21st, 2019 at 10:51 AM.
    Malc

I have the ASUS VP247QG 24" (Actual size 23.6") Full HD 1920x1080 1ms DP HDMI VGA Adaptive Sync/FreeSync Eye Care Monitor
    - I'm quite happy with it for the money.

Did not intend to steal the thread topic... I just wondered if G-sync/Freesync needed discussion for the OP. I now move on.....
    TRS19-100240, Plus-103369, Plus Beta-104479
    ASUS B450M-A/CSM, GTX 1060-6 Windforce, 224GB system SSD,
    1TB EVO SSD

Quote Originally Posted by 1611mac View Post
    Did not intend to steal the thread topic... I just wondered if G-sync/Freesync needed discussion for the OP. I now move on.....
    That's OK, but I personally have no idea what G-Sync and Freesync are, what they do, or whether I need them. Also to JAGG, I don't know what "TN display" is.

So much unexplained jargon!
    T:ANE SP3 build 94829 and TRS2019 build 100240
    Win 10, i7 5820K, 3.3 GHz, 32GB ram, GTX 980Ti, 2x512GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Dinorius_Redundicus View Post
    That's OK, but I personally have no idea what G-Sync and Freesync are, what they do, or whether I need them. Also to JAGG, I don't know what "TN display" is.

You are going to wish you hadn't asked!
    TN = twisted nematic it's a sort of LED display.
    They are the most commonly used displays as cheaper albeit not the best quality, most people probably wouldn't notice any difference.

Best to go check out monitors in a local store if you can rather than buy blindly and get something with poor viewing angles or a bad contrast ratio.
    Malc

IPS monitors are generally accepted as being a better image than a TN monitor. Some monitors are factory-certified calibration colour typically they cost a few hundred dollars more. Toms reviews

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...uide,5699.html gives some background.

ASUS, Dell, Viewsonic are all well respected. Apple have good monitors but you are paying a very high price for the name. LG is often underestimated, they make most of the panels the other companies use so they offer excellent value for money.

I have a cheap LG, a fairly expensive ASUS but it is about ten years old, and a Dell which is about a year old. On paper they all have exactly the same specs, ips 22 inch, 1920 x 1080. In practice I prefer the Dell image quality but the LG has quite a respectable image. Major differences are the connectors and buttons on the bottom to press. The LG has a sort of wiggle stick. The Dell and ASUS reasonable buttons. HDMI has evolved over the last few years and is now my connector of choice. I needed HDMI for a raspberry pi which is why I brought the LG which happened to be the cheapest 1920 by 1080 with HDMI I could find.

Cheerio John

In a store they often turn the brightness up to attract your attention which makes it more difficult to compare them.

Cheerio John

John

Thanks for that link to the Tom's Hardware article. The whole subject of monitors and colour is like Russian Dolls, but it's a very useful summary of the main issues. I'll study it and make a list of the specs I need to have in hand when I eventually go shopping. From what I've read so far, the hardest choice is to decide whether I'm a gamer or a content creator because no monitor is great for both.

Deane

If playing TRS or simulator like games, You are not real gamer in terms of LCD specs classification.

But i am real gamer, i play Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, Tomb Raider...more than I play Trainz.

But i am real gamer, i play Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, Tomb Raider...more than I play Trainz.
    Have a look at this Video, explains pretty much all you need to know and take into consideration when buying a monitor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZwCDBBwSdU
    Malc

Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    Have a look at this Video, explains pretty much all you need to know and take into consideration when buying a monitor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZwCDBBwSdU
    Malc, that was brilliant. He talks so fast, I think his refresh rate must be <0.1msec. With all my stops and note taking, it took me 1hr 20min to get through the 18min video, but it was well worth it. I know what to look for now.

Cheers

Dino

Last edited by Dinorius_Redundicus; October 23rd, 2019 at 12:41 AM.

Let us know final result...

Quote Originally Posted by JAGG View Post
    Let us know final result...
    Since I'm both a gamer and a content creator, and PBR textures are in sRGB colour space, this is my wish list for a monitor. I'm just hoping an nVidia GTX 980Ti card can drive it and I'm sure I can rob a bank when the time comes to pay for it.

Does this list make sense?

Size: 27 inch (68.6 cm)
    Resolution: Quad HD (2560 x 1440 pixels), but might need to settle for Full HD (1920 x 1080 pixels).
    Aspect ratio: 16:9
    Panel type: IPS
    Response time: <5ms
    Input lag time: <11ms
    Refresh rate: 75 fps minimum
    Adaptive sync: FreeSync2 (will that work with an nVidia card??).
    HDR: HDR10
    Colour accuracy: >90% sRGB, >70% Adobe RGB (hopefully, I can get something even closer to 100%, like Zec's monitor)
    Display ports: HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.2 (I believe the GTX980Ti has both types of ports).