Now getting popup messages from Microsoft about Win7 end of life.

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
So for the first time today I got a cheery popup message from Microsoft telling me that Win 7 would no longer be supported after Jan 22nd 2020. I followed some of the links were I was told I'd most probably need a new computer so I should check out these links for their associated business partners and that Win 10 would only cost me more than I earn in a week.

All I'll be doing in January is pulling the internet connection on my old monster of an HP dual Xeon workstation (Deeper Thought) and Microsoft and their greedy associated business partners can go stick it where the sun don't shine. Like many folk I run a lot of older games and software on my Win7 machine that simply won't work in Win10 so 'upgrading' ain't going to happen.

Fortunately I have laid by an ex-lease Coolmaster workstation now fitted with a GTX1050TI and a SSD that does have Win10 on it already and the base computer cost me less than a new copy of Win10. It's going to be a pain to transfer everything from TS2019 across to it, but since TS2019 needs to call home in order to keep functioning I don't have any choice.
My older versions of Trainz don't care whether I'm connected to the internet or not so they'll be staying where they are.

Win10 might be better at somethings than Win7, but I don't like all the unnecessary rubbish that comes along with its supposedly increased performance and the way it casually breaks stuff with every 'update' for the terrible crime of being out of date and 'old'.

There is a difference between “not supported” and “not working”.
It will no longer get updates, so if a new weakness gets found they won’t fix it but other than that it will keep working.

As said, it will keep working fine. If it isn't connected to the internet, then you have no worries staying with Win 7. I'm still waiting/hoping for Non-Win 1.1 :hehe:

There is a difference between “not supported” and “not working”.
It will no longer get updates, so if a new weakness gets found they won’t fix it but other than that it will keep working.

True, - and my computer works fine and is completely reliable so I'm not worried about that. It's the the lack of further security updates that's the issue. I don't fancy my computer being turned into a bot-slave by spamware vermin so that's why I'll be pulling out the wi-fi dongle in January. If I didn't have to have an internet connection to keep TS2019 working I wouldn't be bothered in the slightest since I could use my Dell 10 inch notebook to access the internet instead.

As said, it will keep working fine. If it isn't connected to the internet, then you have no worries staying with Win 7. I'm still waiting/hoping for Non-Win 1.1 :hehe:

If Trainz could run under Linux I would made the change ages ago. I used Debian Linux for some years and I really liked it.

Like many folk I run a lot of older games and software on my Win7 machine that simply won't work in Win10 so 'upgrading' ain't going to happen.

Win10 from Win7 or Win8.1 is still a free upgrade as of a couple of days ago according to Ten Forums. Interesting to see what happens after January!

A couple of options with Win10 - Dual boot Win7 and Win10 or run Win7 in a VM

Copying TRS19 from one PC to another I have done frequently via my Lan, copy to where ever you want the program and userdata, start it up and reset the data folder and add your username and password run a DBR if it hasn't done one automatically and off you go, just need to manually set up a shortcut. Any registry entries are created on first run so it doesn't need installing.

Or
Copying to a USB drive and back again will also work OK if no network available.

Or
I use Input Director software keyboard / Mouse control as in One Mouse and Keyboard and three PC's and can copy and paste files and folders very easily, doesn't require sharing etc to be set up just all connected to the router.

Won't work on your PC, sounds like you are asking the wrong people, there's a thread on Ten Forums where people have been getting really old stuff to run Win10. Minimum possible being A Core2 Duo or 2 core AMD equivalent only issue being old now unsupported by AMD graphics cards. I had 10 working on an old Athlon X2 with IDE drives, no Sata, until last year when I retired it.

I have loads of old games right back to the old Apogee platform games and most are all working in 64 bit Win10 or with Dosbox and curiously I got most of them working in Linux, by obtaining Linux Binaries or using Wine or again Dosbox.

My Win10 PC's look pretty much like Win7 as I got rid of all the tablet crap and replaced the Start menu with Open Shell, formerly Classic start. ;o)

I have Win10 on this machine. The only thing I do in Windows is Trainz. This machine dual boots with Linux (Xubuntu) which I use for everything else. Linux is as secure as Windows is insecure. I wish that they would write a version of Trainz for Linux.

I think he's holding out to wait for Windows 11. Don't know why you would not go to Windows 10, it works better on the same hardware running Windows 7.

There is nothing wrong with W10, a million times better than DOS, sorry joking.
I have always updated as new O/S's are issued.
Yes there have been problems as is the case with all new software, TRS2019 and previous issues.
If one has the correct functioning Security software installed then I believe that there are no issues.
Just saying.

So my old HP XW8400 Xeon Win 7 computer is still connected to our home network, but it no longer has an internet connection so I can still do file sharing and etc. However I was lucky enough to find a later model HP Z800 dual processor Xeon computer that's running a fresh Win 10 install and is a significant upgrade over my old one so once that arrives I'll be swapping the SAS server hard drive I use for all my Trainz installs over to the new computer. The price I paid was very reasonable too as others of the same model I looked at last year were going for twice the price, or even three times the price, but I think those must've been gold plated ones. Hopefully doing the changeover should be fairly painless and shouldn't cause me too many problems. I have a spare brand new 1Tb hard drive in an external drive case to hand should I need to move any files about.
I'll be installing a GTX 1050 TI into the new machine as well so I should see a big difference in performance when it comes to running Trainz.
My old computer has 16Gb of 332.5Mhz DDR2 RAM installed which is both slow and obsolete so I was never able to upgrade it, but the new computer has 32Gb of DDR3 RAM installed so that should make a big difference too.

No, no, no.......you all misunderstood! Microsoft is going to be doing updates on Win7 for 3 more years, but YOU (the same you that paid over $100 US for Win7) will have to pay for those updates! You wanna complain about Trainz wanting more of your money? MS wants it, too! And I am rather certain that MS has just a little more money than Trainz does.

No, no, no.......you all misunderstood! Microsoft is going to be doing updates on Win7 for 3 more years, but YOU (the same you that paid over $100 US for Win7) will have to pay for those updates! You wanna complain about Trainz wanting more of your money? MS wants it, too! And I am rather certain that MS has just a little more money than Trainz does.

That's only for Business Users or the stupidly rich and mainly for Enterprise pro costs more although you can pretend to have Enterprise, they would probably make a lot more if these businesses actually paid for Windows 10. https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/want-to-keep-using-windows-7-after-2020-itll-cost-you

Last edited:
With both Windows 7 and Trainz I am reminded of the old Chinese proverb "be not the first to embrace the new nor the last to discard the old".

With both Windows 7 and Trainz I am reminded of the old Chinese proverb "be not the first to embrace the new nor the last to discard the old".

Nah, live life on the edge - you only live once and thank goodness for that. :D

FWIW, I liked Win 7 and Win XP. And when I'm really nostalgic: DOS 2.11 and Win 3.1.

With Google Chrome and all the other stuff that needed the internet in some way or another now removed from its hard drives my old Win 7 Xeon is doing fine and i got a huge amount of hard drive space back as well. TS2012 couldn't care less if the internet is there or not though I am wondering how long my stripped down copy of TS2019 (64 bit TS2012!) is going to keep running before it needs to call home again.
Once my new Xeon computer arrives though my Trainz hard drive will be transferred over to that so the call home thing isn't going to be any kind of problem for me long term.
My little Dell notebook I'm using to write this post is a Win 10 machine and I must say it does work well enough, but then it's only a little rubber band powered clockwork thing that doesn't exactly have the capacity to do much so it can't really get itself into trouble.

30 days or thereabouts is the time you can use TRS19 offline and then it only needs to connect, presumably update the database and it can then be disconnected again, no need to allow anything else such as browsers AV and such to connect just block the rest with the firewall if concerned.

Not sure a husband should recite that one to his wife on their wedding anniversary. :)

Last edited:
My little Dell notebook I'm using to write this post is a Win 10 machine and I must say it does work well enough, but then it's only a little rubber band powered clockwork thing that doesn't exactly have the capacity to do much so it can't really get itself into trouble.

So have you tried Middleton for Laptops on it?

Thanks John

So have you tried Middleton for Laptops on it?

Thanks John
It only has Intel HD 5300 graphics and a 1.2 GHz Intel M-5Y71 processor with 8Gb RAM so I think the poor wee thing would tip over if I ran TANE on it John. It would be interesting to see if it could, but I think I'd better not,

Back