3-way switches.

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
Sorry but I did try to search this and after 12 pages, nothing....
I have for the first time come across a 3-way switch that I need to, well switch! I find for some reason that it isn't possible, or at least not to the center position. Is this a problem just me has, or is it a known issue, in TANE in my case??? Scratches head.... :eek:

Strange. I have three way switches/points in both TS2012 3.7 and TS2019 and they work fine showing all three positions with the red and green arrows. My copy of TANE is archived since I don't use it anymore so I don't really know if this is a TANE specific problem or not.

I just ran some tests (its a lazy Sunday morning) and 3 way switches are working fine, both in Surveyor and Driver. I must add that I never use them and I do not know how common they actually are in "the wild" (the real world).

Weird. I'm about to test if I can switch it "right". If that doesn't work I'll change the trigger, but the trigger is correctly changing 3 other switches. I wonder if there is a limit to how many switches can be changed by one trigger? Thanks for the info.

I have for the first time come across a 3-way switch that I need to, well switch! I find for some reason that it isn't possible, or at least not to the center position.
How many arrows do you see? If you only see two arrows then it isn't a three-way switch, and there's something wrong with the connections.
y4mjA4eqPzKTP_wLQgd595EqfFAg8tspIqUX6giug30vNWw9AxrhHfves5WDUddUWyuN9K7TfVdXGG9ZL1_W4Ic99XJZJ_j0_qiNT13JM1Lc2s6VBTWRwhhjgHp-n_uUNHq54RZ4f37r-5F2Dnd60CQmBBLczOsjwU2OFuwxVpodjPWPyFWy6Z9wRNJkIQC8Wp4hWyM134wJjilG80rbYfhfA

I have problems with three-way-switches in a map in TRS2019. I am seeing three arrows but the train is derailing, running over this switch. I have deleted and rebuilt the switch, to no avail.

Regards
Swordfish

Well I see 3! And follow this..... I changed the setting for it to go left (actually) rather than centre. And lo and behold, it changed. ---- to CENTRE !!! Now I dare you to explain that one lol. Encase you are wondering, this is on the East Kentucky route at First Creek Tipple. I suspect it's one of those ones that work back-to-front, and in this case also upside down... Let me guess, left is centre, I shall return... lol

Well I see 3! And follow this..... I changed the setting for it to go left (actually) rather than centre. And lo and behold, it changed. ---- to CENTRE !!!

That just means that your tracks aren't aligned quite like you think they are. It's common when the divergence angle is small - the line that ends up running up the centre is actually connecting from the left-hand side at the junction itself. This is easy to miss if the centre track is curved.

I just ran some tests (its a lazy Sunday morning) and 3 way switches are working fine, both in Surveyor and Driver. I must add that I never use them and I do not know how common they actually are in "the wild" (the real world).

In the UK almost non-existent, there was a ruling that point blades must close on a stock rail, not on another blade.

They are a rare thing in most places due to the extra expense and maintenance. I have seen them, however, in factory yards and tram terminals, but that's about it. If I've placed them in the past, I've gone back and I removed them not because they didn't work, but because I never liked how they looked and there was too many of them.

They mostly seem to to be found in places that are restricted for space where normal turnouts wouldn't fit. Wharves, warehouses, factories and small goods yards that are hemmed in by buildings and retaining walls are the usual places to find them.

The Rio Grande Southern had them in several places but they were all stud switches. In the stud switch, the single track is bent slightly by the switch handle to align with the two or three tracks of the diverging paths. The eastern end of the Delores yard had a three way stud switch. The RGS didn't use ballast so the ties slid on the bare dirt.

https://www.fortlewis.edu/finding_aids/images/P026/P026138Page.htm

William

Last edited:
Let's get one thing straight. This is NOT my route and I had thought the East Kentucky Route probably well known, but maybe I'm wrong. Point is, after careful testing and ignoring the rest of the session I was trying to create, I now know when nothing else is interfering, left will set to left. Right I can only assume is ok given that's the (needed) original setting. However, absolutely no-way will it go to centre, that's even using a different trigger. As for layout, there is a short straight section between it and a curve, but that doesn't prove a perfect match.

However, to add insult to injury (ignoring the unpainted areas), I have again come across some more weirdness but this time it has stopped the session completely (because I'm behind an AI that can't move). Reason; a signal is red saying "Signal ahead is in unknown state." !!???!! The next signal actually says "Medium approach" and is yellow. Frankly after a week of trying to create this session, if I can't solve this problem, I'll ditch the route. Life is too short now to waste much more time. Although I've seen that message before, it has never happened in over 20 previous tests through that area. I am suspecting (like other routes), it's importing into TANE from an earlier Trainz version has not gone well?

Happy bar?? :hehe: Anyway, I've managed to solved signal problems with invisible signals and apparently missed a problem switch that causes trains to derail!? I now have a session with a choice, end after 4 deliveries and four hours, or continue for 2 more deliveries and 6 hours. Still fine tuning.

Back