Whistle Sounding for Approaching Grade Crossing

Robertbc6

Hi,

I have a question regarding the whistle/horn sounding when approaching a level grade crossing. According to the info I have, the whistle/horn code is two long, one short, and one long through the crossing. I have tried both steam engines and diesels, but as soon as I touch the horn button, I get a long horn/whistle, no matter how quickly I release the button. Have any of you out there figured out a way to make the horn/whistle respond to the length of time the button is pressed? Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob Morrison

The sound is set in the sound file within the engines folder. It only runs what is programmed in the file. The button only starts the horn sound file.

There are various horn, and bell, trackside assets that automatically sound the horn, to the standard US style horn technique

There are some horns that have the full sequence so only pressing and holding the H-key produces the whole sequence.

If you are interested in automating this so that the AI use the proper horn sequences, there's an asset called the invisible horn trigger. I think it was dricketts that made it but I'm not sure. I can't verify that because I'm not at my Trainz computer to check.

This trigger-object, which looks like a green track mark, is place some distance from the crossing in the direction of travel, meaning it works like an arrow. When the AI-driven train hits the trigger, the horn is blown as it should be. My only criticism is the sequence is a bit slow for fast moving trains, but otherwise it does its trick quite nicely.

Back