TurfFX Grass

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
How can I get my long grass (TFX-Grass Long 20) to look "greener" as the Thumbnail shows? Mine always comes out golden tan.

Water it more :hehe:

thumb_now-thats-too-funny-memegenerator-net-now-thats-too-funny-54038640.png

Can you not just start a new layer?

If I add a new layer, after (fairly extensively) applying existing layers, it wipes out bits of the existing layers. Does this not happen for everyone? I raised this with the Helpdesk and they were able to reproduce the problem. I am not able to proceed any further with TurfFX, pending a solution.

If I add a new layer, after (fairly extensively) applying existing layers, it wipes out bits of the existing layers. Does this not happen for everyone? I raised this with the Helpdesk and they were able to reproduce the problem. I am not able to proceed any further with TurfFX, pending a solution.

I've seen that before and found if I change to ground then back to TurfFX, the grass refreshes and everything appears fine.

I use multiple grass-types, but keep the areas simple with long green, long yellow mixed together and shorter grass where I don't want it to poke through roads and platforms.

I meant apply several turffx groups at one time rather than applying one grasses then have to go back and apply another layer over it.

I just use painted textures, as there are ever so many grass, forest trees, fallen leaves, dirt, gravel, cinders, textures etc, etc, that do a pretty convincing job simulating things. The Great Mezzoprezzo also used textures, and a few sparce trees and bush's, making fabulous scenes by using textures alone.

Last edited:
You can still create a very convincing scene using, as MP242 point out, just textures - particularly further out from the action. I frequently use a forest texture on the layout edges instead of planting individual trees where they end up just reducing your FPS. Closer in various grass textures can be used to simulate a creek bed, small water course or "marshy" ground instead of planting lots of small individual grasses.

However, the TurfFX grass and clutter effects have a lot to offer close in to the action.

You can still create a very convincing scene using, as MP242 point out, just textures - particularly further out from the action. I frequently use a forest texture on the layout edges instead of planting individual trees where they end up just reducing your FPS. Closer in various grass textures can be used to simulate a creek bed, small water course or "marshy" ground instead of planting lots of small individual grasses.

However, the TurfFX grass and clutter effects have a lot to offer close in to the action.

Absolutely! There's no reason to use the TurfFX where it can't be seen, besides, just like splines, this does impact the performance however not as noticeable as it is with grass splines. When I have used the TurfFX, I go out from the tracks about the same distance as I would splines and then blend in bushes, grass assets, trees, and objects.

Back