QVO vs EVO SSD for Trainz

normhart

Trainz Entry Level
Once again I've run out of room on my hard drives. :D

I currently am running TANE SP3 and TRS19 on a Hybrid 2TB SSHD and have filled it up. I'm considering a 4TB SSD and I see that I can get a QVO for about $100 less. The main drawback seems to be write speed which is much slower for the QVO. Is write speed critical for Trainz performance?

How much slower is slower?

TANE and TRS19 are mostly reading so the write speed is probably not that critical.

According to the specs in a comparison review the Expensive 860 EVO and much Cheaper 860 QVO have the same write and read speeds. The price difference is due to using the new QLC Flash memory which is cheaper and can be used for higher capacity, it can be slower than the TLC memory used in the EVOs although it is said that Samsung have tweaked things to keep the speed up. Other manufactures may not have, what were you comparing it against? as not all SSDs reach claimed speeds!

https://thepcenthusiast.com/samsung-860-qvo-vs-860-evo-vs-860-pro-ssd-review/

QVO looks good enough to me.

The other thing to consider is a bigger disk drive. The 8 and 10 gig drives have more platters which means more data under the heads so less track to track movement.

Cheerio John

Solid State Drive, I'm looking at the Samsung 860 QVO 4TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD vs the Samsung 860 EVO 4TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD

"[FONT=&quot]The QVOs use the new QLC memory, which had a very fast read speed but a very slow write speed and less write endurance. The EVOs use TLC memory, which is more expensive but doesn't have as much of a disparity between read and write performance."

I suspect that the write speed of either is faster than my current h[/FONT]
[FONT=Amazon Ember, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ybrid drive.[/FONT]

Solid State Drive, I'm looking at the Samsung 860 QVO 4TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD vs the Samsung 860 EVO 4TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD

"The QVOs use the new QLC memory, which had a very fast read speed but a very slow write speed and less write endurance. The EVOs use TLC memory, which is more expensive but doesn't have as much of a disparity between read and write performance."

I suspect that the write speed of either is faster than my current h
ybrid drive.

I'm not sure you'll see much difference. If the file sizes are small and the rate of writing not very fast then when the system says write to the hard drive it will write the the cache which is dram and fast. It's only when the cache is flooded that the write speed will slow down and with a 256 MB cache that can hold a fair number of files.

The nice thing about SSDs is the bandwidth when plugged directly into the PCI bus.

Cheerio John

"The QVOs use the new QLC memory, which had a very fast read speed but a very slow write speed and less write endurance. The EVOs use TLC memory, which is more expensive but doesn't have as much of a disparity between read and write performance."

I suspect that the write speed of either is faster than my current h
ybrid drive.

That it certainly will be, from a bit more research it looks as if it's the sustained write speed that drops off with the QLC memory, it doesn't with TLC. I'm reading that as if you are writing say 500GB of Data the write speed will get slower as it progresses, writing a few MBs probably it will be full speed.
There is certainly some strange pricing going on a 1TB 860 EVO is cheaper than a 1TB 860 QVO but a 4TB QVO is a lot cheaper than a 4TB 860 EVO.

The other thing to consider is a bigger disk drive. The 8 and 10 gig drives have more platters which means more data under the heads so less track to track movement.Cheerio John
Exactly, Why not just get a 4TB - 6TB Disc HDD, and can the whole idea of using an SSD completely ?

Last edited:
I thought that until I used an SSD, won't use anything else now. No more waiting 5 minutes for the route to load or an hour for a database repair, I have 4 of them in this PC plus a large Spinner.
Large spinners have a place and are good for data that doesn't have to be loaded in real time as in non game stuff, videos content creating and graphics stuff.

Hum, I looked at 8TB HDs and I can find 7200rpm NAN drives or 5400rpm PC drives but no 7200rpm PC drives. A bit of reading seems to indicate that there is a difference and using a NAN drive in a PC would impact lifespan. On the other hand cost is considerably cheaper than any SSD solution.

I've come up with a interim work around by moving my TRS19 install to a normal HDD since I don't play with it much anyway and that leaves me room on the SSHD for my ever expanding TANE database. I'll do some more research and see if prices come down for Christmas and see if more information on 4TB QVO dependability becomes available. Thanks for your input!

BTW MP242 there is a noticeable decline in TRS19 performance (FPS) now that it is on a HDD vs the SSHD it was on and loading time for the game and for large routes is substantially longer.

Last edited:
NAN drives? sure that isn't NAS Drives?

If you have spare drive bays and SATA ports, nothing to stop you adding another hdd or SSD, I would imagine with the amount of content you have at least 1TB for TRS19.

I've got 5 Drives in this PC, got space in the case for 8 not counting 3 optical bays!

Quite right NAS not NAN, I'm not at all sure where NAN came from. :D

Nope no spare bays at all.

Given my age and health 3 years is optimistic. ;)

I did find out one interesting thing. To make space on my HHD I moved my Trainz, UTC, TRS2004, TRS2006, TC, TS2009, TS2010, and TMR2017 from the HHD to an external disk. To my surprise there was no discernible performance hit. :D

Last edited:
Back