Brake Test

davidbird

ex-Chilwellian
Ever since the introduction of the Automatic Brake on British trains, it has been mandatory to perform a "brake test", after formation of the train is complete but before setting off, to ensure the brake is working on all vehicles in the train.

Can this be simulated in TRS2019?

Good question. I would think maybe a driver command/script of some kind inserted before running is possible. It's easy for me to say that, but I don't do programming or scripting! The practice is normal over here across the pond. Brake tests are done on the freight trains before they leave yards. I've witnessed this in person where I saw a very long freight being readied for the drive over the road. There was a big hiss after a freight conductor walked the length of the train checking the hose fittings and attaching the FRED. Once all that was done, the freight finally pulled out from the yard.

Last edited:
There are three types of "brake test" for continuous brakes. The first is the "continuity test" this is when you go to the last vehicle of the train and check the air/vacuum is making it all the way down the train. The easiest way is to remove the rear brake hose and listen for the rush of air. The second type is the guard's brake test where the guard pulls the emergency brake setter and checks that the brake gauge responds. The final test is the "running brake test" where in the initial stages of the journey the driver applies the brakes and checks that the train slows as they would expect before proceeding.

The first two types are a bit pointless in trainz as the automatic coupling can't forget to couple the brake hoses. The running brake test could be simulated by a player though.

Like so many things with virtual and scale trains it's likely best done in your head..... just like a conductor getting off and throwing a switch.... etc etc etc

Likewise in the US there is a yard brake test, done by yard car repairman, to drafts of rail cars sitting in a freight yard

Aside from using your imagination to accomplish this task, it is impossible to do this in Trainz

When you hook up a loco on a train, all you can do is release brake (KB Q), and apply brake (KB A), and watch the air gauges movements

Last edited:
Thanks to all who replied. I think I will have to stick with using HTML messages to simulate the shunter asking for the brake to be made, then giving the OK. Is there a rule to check if brake is applied on a train?

Edit:- CheckCabincontrol kuid:400260:100656 by tram_ may do the trick.

Last edited:
Back