TRS19 HUD-sliders/data not always updated

CitMusJoe

Trainz User
Some of the HUD control sliders are not updated graphically when you clicked onto another car in this train and then control the train via keyboard. In other words: as long as the focus stays on the (steam) loco all is ok, but when changing to another car of the same train some date are not updated when let's say you try to speed up your loco via pressing "W" or similar. (digits remain 0 etc.).

I tried the same in TANE SP3. There it does not matter on which car of the whole train the focus is actually, you alsways get updated HUD-data while controlling the train via keyboard.

Last edited:
There's another thing I noticed which I mentioned but was told is okay. I wonder if you are seeing the same thing. If you've clicked on another wagon in the consist, the driver's image goes away and there's a message about the consist not under player control. This makes driving a cab car for example difficult.

I'm going to report this again as a bug because this was never an issue in all versions before T:ANE, nor in earlier versions of TRS19.

There's another thing I noticed which I mentioned but was told is okay. I wonder if you are seeing the same thing. If you've clicked on another wagon in the consist, the driver's image goes away and there's a message about the consist not under player control. This makes driving a cab car for example difficult.

I'm going to report this again as a bug because this was never an issue in all versions before T:ANE, nor in earlier versions of TRS19.

I've clicked on another wagon in the consist and here the driver's image stayed in it's place. Can you tell me the used assets? So I can try/verify in a better way?

I've used following - in CM-listed - assets for the consist (Loco+Tender+3 identical Boxcars):

1. Name: "Pere Marquette N-1"
Author ocemy
Asset ID: <KUID2:276266:1267:5>
Trainz version 3.8
Install date: 16-Dec-2018 02:41:53

2. Name: "Pere Marquette N-1 Berkshire Tender"
Author: ocemy
Asset ID: <KUID2:276266:1277:2>
Trainz version: 2.9
Install date: 16-Nov-2018 23:28:14

3. Name: "PRR 40'Boxcar" #1
Author: Auran
Asset ID: <KUID:-25:88>
Trainz version 2.9
Install date: 25-Nov-2018 00:09:01

4. Name: "PRR 40'Boxcar" #2
Trainz version 2.9

5. Name: "PRR 40'Boxcar" #3
Trainz version 2.9

Using this consist and clicking on each single item (loco/tender/boxcar) I couldn't notice any change in driver's image.
All I said in thread item #1 is also true with this consist. I've setup a simple new route for testing purposes and placed just rails and above described consist. All other setup-items I let as they were on default, e.g.: region, imperial etc.

But what I further noticed was: I wasn't aware of the fact that someone can even assign a driver(image) to each single item in the consist. So you can assign a driver to the last boxcar and one for the Tender and a third one for the loco. They all get switched correctly here when I set the focus to the appropriate wagon/loco/tender. But does this make sense? When I click onto the tender (with an assigned driver image) the HUD shrinks and the driveability disappears.

So when I want to stop the consist at an exact position at the Cargo depot or anything similar for loading/unloading I really need to be able to switch to that particular wagon and simultaneously see all loco-relevant data/sliders. This was the case in earlier Trainz versions too.
All in all, something must be wrong with this behaviour. Thanks that you have reported the bug!

Last edited:
Wow I didn't know you can add a driver to each wagon. That will solve my issue, I think.

I had a simple consist of a diesel locomotive, a GP38-2 from Jointed Rail - I can't remember the exact paint scheme with 2 passenger cars and a cabin car at the end to act as a driver when running in reverse. When I'm in the locomotive on one end, I get all the controls, but in the cabin, I lose the controls and the HUD, but the controls work. This isn't good because there's no speedometer and it's all then running on guts.

The issue you are describing, I think is different and is something I remember seeing in T:ANE where selecting a wagon means losing the HUD for signals, speed, and everything else but you can still control the train normally. If you change cameras such as use 2 or 3 for the tracking cameras, do you have your controls? This is what I found worked while running from a wagon. In my case I want to be in the cab of the cabin car for the push-pull operation so maybe this is related, but in a different manner, but I'm not sure now.

If someone doesn't fiddle around with the driver images too much, or assigning an additional driver to let's say a tender then all is still ok.

BTW I'm not using any extra device for controlling my trains. Just either keyboard or moving the sliders with the mouse.

I'm executing nearly all operations while using the "2" keypress-view when I've loaded a 'Model Railway' route. So nearly all switching-operations get done in this view (chase view).

Assuming following prerequisites:
1. using keyboard for all commands
2. using chase view "2"-key (outside view with camera center point on a particular rolling stock)
3. Driving in 'Realistic mode' (with all relevant data displayed) at the bottom line.

When having the focus on a specific wagon of this consist some of the displayed data are very corect although. E.g.: CO"-", WA"-", SC"-". But the point is: From a logical aspect this is true not to see any steam chest pressure (SC) displayed while you have set previously the focus on a boxcar for example. But in TRS19 you need to switch to another view or change driving mode to 'easy' to be able to position a specific car precisely at a specific position. That wasn't the case with TANE. What I'm missing most while parking a boxcar into a precise position is the current position display of the regulator/throttle (for steam loco) as well as the percentage.

But you are right, this can be accomplished via keyboard 'blindly' as well.

Back