Information: TRS19 mouse pointer can no longer precisely discern objects

MSGSapper

Trainz route developer
Folks,

If you are designing routes or sessions in TRS19 you need to be aware of a problem that you will need to work around involving placement of objects. It has recently come to light in TRS19 that the mouse pointer has been changed by N3V so that it is no longer able to precisely discern a small object placed near, or overlaid on, a larger object.

Example: if I place a BI2 industry track on an industry having a large footprint, such as one of my Meat Packing Plants, you will no longer be able to identify it, move it, rotate it or configure it. This will also happen if you place the BI2 track near a larger object as well.

While the example I give is for a BI2 industry track it also applies just as equally to any object placed near or on a larger object.

Any older route or session brought into TRS19 will also see this issue. There is a work around available, although it may create a fair amount of work for you to implement for older routes or sessions.

See this forum thread for full details on this problem:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?154887-Major-industry-functioning-problems-with-TRS19

Bob

The way I get around this problem is to assign the larger object to a different layer (i.e. Temp), then Hide the Temp layer. I can now select the small object.

Didrik

Maybe what we need is a rule that searches for all the industry track and allows selection for their properties. Will have to think about it. Those wiser than I are welcome to comment.

It's actually TANE + TR19 that uses "convex hulls" to identify collision meshes (so it has been around for over 5 years).

And rather than "near" another object, it needs to be "within the collision mesh" which is usually the outer limits of the object.

You could also add to this announcement:

N3V made this change, to improve performance (by up to 50% in certain cases).

And also:

Improvements to a range of tools in Surveyor are on our To Do list.

It's actually TANE + TR19 that uses "convex hulls" to identify collision meshes (so it has been around for over 5 years).

And rather than "near" another object, it needs to be "within the collision mesh" which is usually the outer limits of the object.

You could also add to this announcement:

N3V made this change, to improve performance (by up to 50% in certain cases).

And also:

Improvements to a range of tools in Surveyor are on our To Do list.

Tony:

One of the reasons I put in the link to the original thread where this was discussed, so everyone could see all sides of this issue, to include the information you provided in that thread on this issue.

Bob

This is not new, I have run into this often in T:ANE....

Maybe, but it sure seems a lot worse in TRS19 then it did in T:ANE. FYI I upgraded all 14 of my old routes from TRS2012 to separate T:ANE versions and don't remember running into the problems I have run into with this in TRS19, nor were there any reports from my T:ANE version route or session users of that problem..

Bob

I plan on using separate layers now and in the future for my Routes.....

;) Thanks Bob and others for the good info on Bounding Box parameters,

I already have the problem with several items, and for me, have decided, that Layers of which I understand well, will have to now become part of my Routes life too tone down these Asset boundaries collision issues......I thought it was just me doing something not quite right with placements, but it did seem with TRS2019, it was more pronounced than earlier versions.........:(

Just means more work for me, but I will do it to for easier manipulation of later added items or deletion, either action in a close boundary issue causes a problem........:wave:

;) I thought it was just me doing something not quite right with placements, but it did seem with TRS2019, it was more pronounced than earlier versions.........:(

Just means more work for me, but I will do it to for easier manipulation of later added items or deletion, either action in a close boundary issue causes a problem........:wave:

This is the major reason I posted this information in this section of the forum so that other route and session developers would know about this issue, what causes it, work arounds, and it is not something they are doing wrong. For some time I could not figure out what was causing this problem on my routes and sessions, but now I know what causes this problem, who caused it, and why it was done by N3V, along with things you can do get around it.

Bob

Back