Route Changes in Session Mode

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
This is so damn frustrating and absolutely should NOT happen....
You spend an hour making a session (plus lots more), and then notice an area unpainted in the route. Now I repeatedly check route layer is locked, because for some reason (and this is a game flaw) every time you open the session to edit it, the route becomes unlocked (Obviously not a payware route). Route layer is locked, so I paint the glaringly obvious. However!!!! On saving it insists on saving a new route, with NO OTHER OPTION. Seriously N3V this is a FLAW and a damn annoying one at that. If the route layer is locked, you should not be able to change it and anything done should be in the session layer ONLY.

I can see why people get so frustrated, especially when there is so much potential. I may be mistaken but I think TRS19 might be raising that frustration level, so I'll stay with TANE. We who create, spend hours days, weeks, months and years on this. A bit of common sense in this area not to mention practicality would be a good thing. If anyone knows how to make route layer locked, actually lock, please let us know.

It's not a flaw because textures are only applied in the route layer. As you locked the route layer any texture could not be placed so it created a new route layer which required a new route to be saved. Locked layers are only locked while in game. All other assets used can only be placed in the session layer when route is locked.

Actually, textures are not applied to any layer (route or session) but they are saved as a part of the Route. The same applies to the terrain and cameras. This has always been the case.

If you edit any of these three while editing a Session, regardless of how many or which layers have been locked, you will be asked to save the Route.

There a few of these little traps. For this one... Notice the texture error, save the session. Fix in the route. Save. Open the session again. Carry On.

A pain, I know, but do it enough times and the lesson is learnt :confused::confused:.

One of my pet hates is forgetting to lock the session, forgetting you are in the session, and making lots of detail changes, then finding that next time you open the route the changes you thought you had made are not there. You have to try and remember all the changes, edit the session, and move them to the route layer.:'( Again, do it enough times.....

One of my pet hates is forgetting to lock the session, forgetting you are in the session,

This has been requested many times before - that Surveyor indicates somewhere, such as on the menu line, the name of the current Session and the active layer. This would go a long way to preventing a lot of frustration - of course assuming that users take note of this information.

There a few of these little traps. For this one... Notice the texture error, save the session. Fix in the route. Save. Open the session again. Carry On.

This statement puzzles me. If you have the Session loaded into Surveyor then, by default, you also have the Route loaded into Surveyor. If you noticed that a texture is missing or wrong (part of the Route) then simply edit it immediately in Surveyor, then save both the Route and, if you have altered the Session before you noticed the error, the Session at the same time. That is how I have always worked without any problems.

No need to save and exit the Session; load, fix and save the Route; open the Session again. Simples!

Think I'm getting dizzy there, cause I think you both said the same thing, in a different way! I still think if you have the route layer LOCKED, you should not be able to alter it, especially when you have a session loaded. I mean, doesn't locked mean locked? Clearly not - sometimes! Anyway, I'll just have to put up with it, and try and remember. I'll see if I can fix all the missing paint work (textures) in the East Kentucky route, at the route level and take it from there.

Back