Navigation rule: need help

lucstef

Good day Trainzers.
I'm asking for some explanations on how to properly test session rules, and I'm posting in the TRS19 forum wondering if there's any bug in the 103369 release I'm using.

I'm playing with session creation, very basic level without scoring, but I want to show instructions and waypoints while following a very simple list of tasks to be completed in sequence.
This is when I am hitting a brick wall......

I'm trying to use the "Ordered List" rule, whose childs are simple messages and navigation rules.
- Ordered list rule
--1) message 1
--2) nav point(s) 1
--3) message 2
--4) nav point(s) 2
...etc

When completed, I save the session and move from surveyor to quickdrive via CTRL+F2, and all messages and waypoints appear to show.
BUT....if I return to surveyor, make some changes and resave and restart the quickdrive, no waypoint shows up and apparently the rule flow is stuck at message 1 (i.e. the first rule after the ordered list), as it doesn't say "complete" if I return to surveyor again.
The same happens if I exit and just drive the session directly after the changes.

To clarify what my steps are:
- I reset the rules and select the first one on top before moving to quickdrive.
- If I use nested rules (and not the ordered list rule) everything works as intended, but the 5th or 6th task rule group is going to exit the right border of the window......

I noticed that in the message popup there is every single message from the first quickdrive run onward, and if I delete and rebuild the first nav rule it shows up again in the next first test (and becomes lost in the subsequent ones again).
The same buildup of messages can be seen in the normal driver session, if opened after the second/third/etc save.
(I didn't test a driver session after the first build and save, as that would break the usefulness of the CTRL+F2 switch expecially in large routes).

Is there something I'm missing here? Do i need any magic in Content Manager? Or just summon Thor and Mjolnir to give some "rebuild" to my desktop?

Luca​

The major observation I would make here is that placing message popup rules, or any "event driven" rules (i.e. those that wait for a mouse click, a time interval, a resource level, a consist check, etc) in an ordered list is not always a good idea. An ordered list will wait for each child rule to be completed, in order, before it executes the next child rule so it is possible that the navigation point child rules are not being executed because the parent rule is "hung" waiting for an earlier child rule to be completed.

As a reference point, please refer to the following Trainz Wiki pages

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Parent_and_Child_Rules

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/How_to_Use_Navigation_Point_Rules_(Applications)

My personal preference, when using Nav Points with Message Rules, is to use them in Simultaneous Lists and add delays (Wait Rule) or Checks (e.g. Resource Check) as shown in the second of the above links.

I have not (so far) experienced any bugs in the latest TRS19 beta when using Nav points.

Thanks for the advices, I read those links and I found the issue :)
My set of rules is REALLY that simple: one message, one waypoint, one message, one waypoint etc so the ordered list is the best choice for me (at least when I can find why a child rule is stuck...).

------------------------
Looking in the log, I've seen this:
; <NULL> NavPoints.CreateNavigationPointSet> ERROR: Duplicate id 'flats' (file navpoints.gs)

"flats" is the name of the very first nav points rule, and I can swear it's present once only in all the session listing...
Soooo....the session database mantains the nav display rule sets active until they are cleared inside the session itself....FOUND! Navigation Set Clear rule!
I thought that a nav set would clear itself after all waypoints are met...wrong.

Now I need to understand why a nested structure works without any navigation set clear rule....maybe the sets are cleared when the parent rule is complete....maybe....
Lots to learn here......

Thanks again Pware :cool:

Luca

Back