CTD when exiting Surveyor

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
After working on my route, saving my work, then attempting to exit Surveyor, oftentimes the game will CTD. Not every time but about 2 out of 3 times. Is this a "bug" that they are working on?

Hmmm. I have been doing a lot of work with SP1 (103369) in Surveyor with frequent backing up my work into a CDP and I have yet to experience a CTD on exiting Surveyor.

I have had the occasional CTD from CM while creating the CDP backup but I experienced that in all earlier TRS19 betas.

Many (but not all) CTDs from Surveyor/Driver in TANE and TRS19 have been traced back to faulty assets and/or misbehaving scripts.

Unfortunately the recommended method of tracking down the culprit(s) is not simple - removing small groups of assets from your layout/session and testing (and testing) until the CTDs mysteriously stop. The culpit(s) is then most likely in the last group of assets removed so you put them back one by one with more testing in between.

98592 is over a year old.
100240 is the update for that build (TRS19 patch stream).
I would recommend trying the same route in SP1 beta as the problem may already be solved in the latest version (we allow you to run a beta and live version at the same time - just point them to different local data folders).

I am on TRS2019 SP1 I have not added any assets since adding SP1 last week. There were a number of issues with my route & sessions, all resolved. At the present moment I just have one issue with a uncouple & recouple at a station. Just running session now to see if some adjustments have done the trick. I never had any issues prior to SP1 with CTD, some seizures at times however self clearing. I need to resolve this one then I will be able to add more consists to my session. Then do some work on the route to incorporate the line diagrams which have as work in progress.
I do not run any other route or their sessions other than occasionally to look at their assets.

My experience of CTD is when a script is not functioning. A drive to TM driver command, that was placed and named but has since be altered and can no longer be found, can cause a CTD if you leave while that command is being carried out. Once I corrected the command the CTD stopped but left the route open for edit.

Local data folder is a bit confusing as the folder is called build **********. The only folder called data is in the main folder where the trainz.ex file is stored. Also a simple cut or copy of the build folder and pasted into a new location is all that is needed to move it.

I'm sorry but I don't know what that means.

Dave, for example and illustrate a bit... I have 3 installs of TRS19. I have an official "from the store" install (100240), a "stable" Trainz Plus install (103369), and a "Trainz Plus beta stream" install (103433). Each install points to its own unique "local data" folder all being located on a large SSD (solid state disk). I give my data folders a meaning name like "Official", "Plus" and "Beta" and I pin shortcuts to them on the taskbar so everything is easily accessible.

I find that I should actually have a 4th install. That would be an "official" install with NO additional payware. Only the game install and CM freeware. This 4th install would be for creating anything to be shared and/or uploaded to CM.

Well, I don't do Betas. I open my "Install" tab when I first start Trainz and click on the Check for Updates button. It has been saying there is "no update available at this time" so I use what I have. I'm not going to mess with Beta and test versions of ANY game. Too many things can go wrong. I'll wait for the "official" update patch thank you.

I'd still check your update stream is set to TRS19 as 100240 (latest official version) could even fix your issue. Trainz Settings > Install tab > Change update stream.

I too have been experiencing the CTD when saving a route. Also on other routes after a save the game well hang forcing a shutdown via Task Manager. When restarting the game engine a DB repair will occur. The CTD and game hang has just started recently, about a week after installing 103369 and a Nvidia driver update. I have also performed an EDB repair with no improvement/fix.

John

I do a lot of route development work with regular saving of the route and, every few hours and at the end of the day, saving the route to a CDP file. I do get the occasional CTD, usually when creating the CDP file, followed by a database repair when restarting Trainz.

It is just a theory of mine but I suspect that the constant opening, editing, saving of routes and exiting Trainz (with constant opening and closing of the database) and creating CDP files places a "strain" on the database integrity or something similar.

So now I run a manual database repair every few days at a time that is convenient to me (unlike a CTD) such as when going off to make a cup of tea, or perform some other domestic duties. This has, so far, proven to be very successful in avoiding unexpected and unwanted CTDs and has improved my "wellness" immeasurably.

I rarely get a CTD now while doing stuff in Content Manager. That was an issue early on, but I did some troubleshooting at the time and found that the CTD occurred in the final stages of submitting the assets and closing the Assets.tdx file. While watching the system resources in Task Manager and Process Explorer, I noticed a huge spike in not only CPU usage, but also in RAM with the CPU usage jumping up to 100% and RAM usage sustaining well up to the 80% range. This was with my 64GB too on my system!

My solution to this is to increase the page file a substantial amount and this huge system performance suck went away. The CPU still peaks up high, but the RAM doesn't get stuffed and crashes. I documented this and submitted this as a bug report back in the early T:ANE days, but was told everything was working as expected. If a normal operation crashes the system, then this isn't working as expected.

I rarely every get a CTD exiting or in Surveyor. When I have gotten it, I've tracked it down to a dodgy asset and ended up removing it. Using normal, what did I do last critical thinking, (If critical thinking is a normal thing these days) I tracked down the offending asset and removed it from the route and removed it from my content so I don't grab it again.

Like you I do periodic DBRs. I've noticed that this really does help with performance as well because this process reindexes the database and cleans up and compresses the internal tables. This doesn't reduce the overall size, but it does remove the extra empty places the content management routine has to dig through.

Back