Edging For Different Heights

Vern

Trainz Maverick
Having another go at a proto-model concept, where I've Transdemed a section of real world railway to enclose in a barn (or aircraft hangar!) size room. However what this does mean is where I prune the edges along the track to represent the scenic area of the baseboard will have the undulating contours of the real world terrain. I was pondering how to adapt our edging sections to this particular situation but at the moment the only solution I can see is to artificially level the edge of the baseboard to an average height over (say) a 500m section and fit the woodwork to that. Where there is a significant difference in adjacent heights I will also probably have to step up the floor to maintain the 70m height of the edging sections. I don't really want to use a backdrop along the edge as the idea is to have the route as a centre walk around table in the model "room".

Open to further ideas!

What I ended up doing was make a custom made asset for those hilly area's. I even ended up hiding a small shadow station inside.

See here:
Another-overview-of-this-model-railroad-module.-Clearly-visible-is-the-shadow-station-hidden-in-a-tunnel..jpg

Probably not the best view to see what I mean, so if you want to take a closer look download this M120 "two valley" module from the DLS.

What I did was make measure the height of the hills along the edge where I needed to make the wall (and shadow station) and used those heights in Blender to create the asset.
Might be too much work for what you are looking for though. Maybe you could just do with a spline with 10m sections.

If you are using a spline you could try inserting multiple spline points and adjusting their height. It wouldn't smoothly follow the contour but it would possibly look not too bad.

Another solution which might suit in some cases would be to have an edging deliberately higher than the baseboard contours (to prevent models falling on the floor!) so that the ground is always lower than the top of the edging. I have done this on an actual model railway, mainly to prevent little fingers from straying.

Ray

Another solution which might suit in some cases would be to have an edging deliberately higher than the baseboard contours (to prevent models falling on the floor!) so that the ground is always lower than the top of the edging. I have done this on an actual model railway, mainly to prevent little fingers from straying.

Ray

I remember doing the same. All it was was a piece of card stock that I painted tree blob-texture on and put other trees in front of it. Later on when I got Vistapro I tried printing out 3d landscapes and then I got World Builder and achieved better results, but by then I moved on to TRS2004 and all that became obsolete for me anyway.

Back