Bathurst to Lithgow Route

You got it! I'm told (by a train driver) that there is a similar bridge at MeadowBanks and somewhere else, Como? How very short sighted of State Rail (?) to replace that bridge with another that was only single track as well!? Thanks for the info I seriously appreciate the help.

You are welcome mate.

I started to make the Como Bridge quite some time ago and I got bogged down and put it aside. At the time I didn't know how to add track objects to the rails, such as bridge piers and overhead supports, etc; but I'll dig it out over the next couple of days and see how it looks. Maybe it can be useful.

I'll keep in touch.

Cheers mate,
Roy

Cowra Rail Bridge

Have a look at KUID2:56603:21026:1
according to some research built by the same engineers
The current railway lattice bridges are,

1876 Macquarie River at Bathurst, 1881 Murrumbidgee River at Wagga Wagga,
1881 Macquarie River at Wellington, 1882 Peel River at Tamworth
1882 MacDonald River at Woolbrook, 1884 Murray River at Albury
1884 Macquarie River at Dubbo 1885 Murrumbidgee River at Narrandera
1887 Lachlan River at Cowra.
all are heritage listed.
PG

Last edited:
It may have been Cowra that was mentioned to me, not Cooma. That and Meadowbank over the Parrammatta river (and bathurst) were designed by John Whitton, built in 1886. That Cowra bridge is almost a perfect match, if only it didn't have the two end pieces. It may have to do for now anyway. Maybe I best ask Footplate Phil for a favour given he made it. You folks certainly are a wealth of information.

I was able to put together a bridge that looks something like the old Como Railway Bridge in the Sutherland Shire. It's now a pedestrian walkway.

Firstly, my model of the bridge is in a few parts.

The bridge track gets laid first, followed by the bridge piers and arched supports which are track attachments, are then added.
Finally the bridge deck spline is positioned to match the arched supports.

It's not perfect but it can be used on any width river.
como-3.jpg

1. The deck and sides 2. Whatever track 3. Arched support 4. Bridge piers
como-2.jpg

Although the angle-plating may not be the same as the original, I did it this way to minimize the polys. The pylons are <kuid:387564:1685> Saligny truss pylon 1 on the DLS.
como-1.jpg

If you wanted the cdps just send me a PM with your email address.

Cheers,
Roy

Well that happened faster than the bullet train! I don't know what to say, apart from thanks. PM heading your way.

It may have been Cowra that was mentioned to me, not Cooma. That and Meadowbank over the Parrammatta river (and bathurst) were designed by John Whitton, built in 1886. That Cowra bridge is almost a perfect match, if only it didn't have the two end pieces. It may have to do for now anyway. Maybe I best ask Footplate Phil for a favour given he made it. You folks certainly are a wealth of information.

It was an ACT Trainz Modellers collaboration. I only did the 'skin' and config.txt. ad602000 (as credited, a prolific and generous but under acknowledged modeller) was the Gmax author. He still pops by the forums from time to time. Try sending him a PM. It was a long time ago, but you never know, he may stlil have the required files.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention the 1873-79 bridge over the Murray, where else but at Murray Bridge in SA. Originally dual purpose rail/road but now the main road. I only crossed over it a month back so should have remembered it.
PG.

Another shot further up stream, before I added a river just under the surface of the water towards the bridge. Not completely sure on that move...

Bathurst-to-Lithgow%2C-with-old-Bathurst-Railway-Bridge-in-background-WIP.jpg

If you can use it Alistair, then that's great.

Actually, the bridge doesn't look too bad after all.

Personally, I like the rapids in your river - it's a nice detailing feature. Remember, authors are allowed to create their own world, so keep it up.

Cheers mate,
Roy

Nice video Alistair. I noticed at a set of points 3:47 into the video when the train jerked, so the track may need a gentle straighten through the points.

Also do a CTRL H at the start to hide your overlays. Great stuff mate.

Bathurst Railway Station is pretty special. Maybe someone has a few ideas.

bathurst-stn-1.jpg

Cheers,
Roy

Just a random picture, although I used it to highlight a problem with the AJS invisible stations. You can't set the length to less than the maximum of 100 metres! Hence the passenger floating on air, even with the number of passengers (to start) set at a mere 5.

Platform-length-set-to-25m.-So-why-is-a-passenger-at-41.7m-from-the-centre-and-floating-on-air%3F-AJS-Invisible-Station-1T-3.5.jpg

The meshes with the attachment points for passengers have a fixed length (for 100m stations ?). If you want to create shorter stations, try using AJS Station 1x50s (50m station).

Peter

The meshes with the attachment points for passengers have a fixed length (for 100m stations ?). If you want to create shorter stations, try using AJS Station 1x50s (50m station).

Peter

Sadly I've discovered none of the AJS type stations will load passengers! Separate thread started...

Just wondering Alistair - Will you be placing Mt Panorama as a background for Bathurst?

mt-Panorama.jpg

Cheers,
Roy

Back