Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Microsoft Flight Sim

Default New Microsoft Flight Sim

Hope this is not inappropriate. I am just posting this URL as a matter of curious interest, not promoting anything. It is still in ALPHA, but it will be cloud based and connected to 2PETABYTES of global data. You can fly 3D over a virtual Manhattan! Anyway, for anyone curious:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/...-actual-plane/

Edit: This will HAVE to be subscription, Right?
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” ― R.L.S.

United States of America, In Front Of My PC

It's not Trainz, and you can't drive a train, nor build terrain, so I aint' interested.
    I have MSTS train simulator and never got it running, as well as SpaceX, and several flight simulators, never got interested in getting them running.

Top 12 Simulators: 1 - 12, (12 being absolutely the most boring)
    1) Train Simulators: (That's about as interesting as simulators can get) !
    2) Racing Car Simulators
    3) Trucking Simulators
    4) Flight Simulators
    5) Saturn V Rocket Simulator
    6) Ship Simulator: (oh it must just be just soooooo extremely interesting)
    7) NYC EMT Simulator
    8) NYC Trash Truck Simulator
    9) Coal Mine Simulator
    10) Rollercoaster Tycoon
    11) Sid Myers Railroad Tycoon
    12) The Sim's: OMG

What ever happened to the MSTS2 - Aces Team ? (that was a massive disappointment, project discontinued, and mothballed)
    Last edited by MP242; October 4th, 2019 at 07:39 PM.
    I want all my performance sliders set to "Full"

Granted you can't drive trainz in a flight simulator, but I am curious what N3V could do with a cloud-based 2 petabytes of global data! You might be able to get your UTMs or DEMs direct from N3V anywhere on the globe, and fill them in with prototypical buildings, vegetation, and scenery. Anyway, something to think about....
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” ― R.L.S.

United States of America, Arkansas, Jonesboro

Quote Originally Posted by MP242 View Post
    It's not Trainz, and you can't drive a train, nor build terrain, so I aint' interested.
    I have MSTS train simulator and never got it running, as well as SpaceX, and several flight simulators, never got interested in getting them running.

Top 12 Simulators: 1 - 12, (12 being absolutely the most boring)
    1) Train Simulators: (That's about as interesting as simulators can get) !
    2) Racing Car Simulators
    3) Trucking Simulators
    4) Flight Simulators
    5) Saturn V Rocket Simulator
    6) Ship Simulator: (oh it must just be just soooooo extremely interesting)
    7) NYC EMT Simulator
    8) NYC Trash Truck Simulator
    9) Coal Mine Simulator
    10) Rollercoaster Tycoon
    11) Sid Myers Railroad Tycoon
    12) The Sim's: OMG

What ever happened to the MSTS2 - Aces Team ? (that was a massive disappointment, project discontinued, and mothballed)

You forgot Goat Simulator (Yes it actually exists)

Quote Originally Posted by Forester1 View Post
    I am curious what N3V could do with a cloud-based 2 petabytes of global data!
    That'd certainly be nice :-D

chris

but I am curious what N3V could do with a cloud-based 2 petabytes of global data!
    I think they'd have to resist the call for an offline version

I actually have a farm simulator tucked away somewhere in my software CDs….

United States of America, Arkansas, Jonesboro

I actually have a farm simulator tucked away somewhere in my software CDs….

Oh I do, too! Haven't been that bored since I tried to watch a Soccer game!

LOL! I think I installed and started it and never went back. I guess I was not meant to be a farmer!

Seeing the story I can say that MSFS did help me when I learned to fly by in the late 90's. Funny thing is my flight instructor kept yelling at me to look out the windows instead of watching the gauges. At least when I had to fly with "the hood" I could right the plane from any position he put it into .

Interesting Thai1On. It should be a little bit like driving, keep an eye out for what is going on around you, certainly on the red and white during approach, but you do need to keep a pretty close eye on those gauges, because you could be drifting any direction in three dimensions. It's a balance like anything else. Sounds like your instrument rating came fairly easily! I remember flying with a friend who had his head down looking at a map, and the plane began to drift to the right. I assumed he was making a correction, but he looked up and said, "Let me know when I do that"!

This new version of Microsoft Flight Simulator looks like it will be utterly awesome in terms of scope and delivery - setting new standards for computer flight simulations.
    Check out this review by a sceptical YouTuber (Froogle) on how he was converted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj8h6yibHHc

Video has a lot of actual footage from hands-on access to the pre-Alpha version provided by Microsoft to a lucky few reviewers.

Some additional, amazing 'factoids' about this sim...

It runs DirectX 11,
    Looks like it supports ray tracing, but doesn't require ray-tracing hardware,
    Draw distance is up to 600 kilometres!
    Azure-based dataset using Bing satellite data
    Trillions of 3D trees simulated around the planet
    (More information at this official site: https://www.flightsimulator.com/ )
    You can even apply to become a Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Insider (via Xbox Insider...) on Windows 10!
    https://www.flightsimulator.com/insi...ogram-sign-up/
    Last edited by PC_Ace; October 10th, 2019 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Added some tantalising 'factoids'

Wow! Thanks for the link PC_Ace!

United States of America, In Front Of My PC

It is a shame that you cannot drive a train in Microsoft flight simulator, as there was a video on YouTube called "Train vs Aircraft", and it showed both a jet airplane, and a TGV train, on their way across France.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtWqTpN76Vw
    Last edited by MP242; October 9th, 2019 at 09:53 AM.
    I want all my performance sliders set to "Full"

And why not! Most of the big battle games you can jump from jeeps to helicopters to planes and back again, but then the world is fairly limited to thebattlefield. Still, it would be doable under some scenario or other...