Sound in the distance

llebrez

This theme has been disscussed long ago, but I can't remember now how to do it. A boat sounds the horm and can be heard for miles. Or a bell rings here and can be heard at the other end of the route. Wiki explains what to do, but still, I can see the proper tags in config files, and adding <distance 50,150> changes nothing. Can anyone explain what to do in detail?

I have just made such a change to the "Guards Whistle" driver command. I also started by trying to specify <distance,i,i> in the config file, and found it made no difference. In the end my solution was to edit the relevant script file and update the call to World.Play2DSound to call instead World.PlaySound. PlaySound accepts additional parameters, including the ability to specify near and far distances. I am not sure if it works for versions before 4.5 (ie TANE).

The new "Guards Whistle Near" should be available for download sometime today.

Last edited:
Hi Phil

I have downloaded your new 'Guards Whistle Near' and I am still hearing the whistle at the opposite end of the route (about 20 miles).
This is in TS2019 build 100240.

Pete

Hi Phil

I have downloaded your new 'Guards Whistle Near' and I am still hearing the whistle at the opposite end of the route (about 20 miles).
This is in TS2019 build 100240.

Pete

Well that's weird. To be sure I didn't stuff up the upload I have just checked the version on the DLS, and it works fine for me, at distances much less than 20 miles, same build. Sorry to suggest the obvious, but you did update any old 'Guards Whistle's driver commands in the 'Driver Setup' rule to the new 'Guards Whistle Near' command? At 20 miles was the volume decreased at all?

Any one else with a similiar experience. Or better still :))), anyone that can say that it does work for them?

EDIT: There are two threads going on this. Can any further discussion on this please be placed in this thread...
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?154619-Is-there-a-non-global-whistle-command-script

Last edited:
Hi Phil

Finally got it to work.

I had two other instances of Guards Whistle installed, one status installed which I deleted and one status Built in Payware which I had to disable before yours would work.

But got there in the end. And works perfectly, thank you.

Peter

Back