Question about Ambient Occlusion

GRUPOSTR

Hello everybody!
In STR we are testing new PBR materials for TRS2019, but in our opinion the objects they are in a opposite position from the sun have a big shadow.
We think that the objects appears very dark in comparation of the old materials system.

We post an example image:

jg7YU7N.jpg

Look the signals with left arrow.
The left signal is based on old legacy materials and the right signal has the new PBR materials. The Blue channel of the parameters texture has a light colour.
Under these conditions, Does anyone knows some way for that this signal can be look clearer? We think that now exist a big difference between the two types of materials.
Thank you!!

Can you post what your parameters looks like exactly? What texture format is your texture? Does your texture.txt for the parameter have an Alpha= tag?
Code:
Alpha=

This is my TGA parameters file:

JxgrW5B.jpg

ANd yes, my parameters has a Alpha Tag (Rojo/Verdel/Azul are the name of channels in Spanish, in English are Red/Green/Blue)-
The name of the file is plantilla_parameters.tga and it has a .texture included.
Inside of the .texture file, it exist a tag Alpha: Alpha=plantilla_parameters.tga

Thank you for your reply!

Which software are you using? Apparently for Blender users if there is a light/sun in the scene there is a possibility of the shading being messed up. I would make the blue channel completely white since you wouldn't want any shading on that part of the sign. That's the roughness/metallic channels job.

Last edited:
Hi GPUPOSTR
Your Ambient Occlusion (Green/Verde channel) is showing as fairly dark on most of your object, which will effectively make those areas become darker when not being lit by the sun.

With the Ambient Occlusion map, anything darker than white (RGB = 255/255/255) will cause that area to be darker when not lit directly (ie when in shadow).

Regards

I use 3DS MAX.

Hi GPUPOSTR
Your Ambient Occlusion (Green/Verde channel) is showing as fairly dark on most of your object, which will effectively make those areas become darker when not being lit by the sun.

With the Ambient Occlusion map, anything darker than white (RGB = 255/255/255) will cause that area to be darker when not lit directly (ie when in shadow).

Regards

Thank you for your answer! I read the wiki, and the ambient occlusion is the blue channel not the green chanel. Is it right?
If I have a dark blue channel, what will be the consequence in the game?

The blue channel is indeed AO, Zec got a bit confused. :p Try making your AO (blue) channel pure white and see what happens then.

Thak you for the answers!
This is the result!

vKu87pC.jpg

Left with a dark AO and right with light AO.
In my opinion, I think that it has a chance to improve. I hope that in a future SP we can enjoy a new features in this aspect.
Greetings!

I'd suggest turning down the metallic channel a bit and see what your results are. Another reason I'd guess it is so dark is because of the metallic channel. Worth a shot!

I will try tomorrow. Thank you! :)
If an object is 100% metallic, is it more darker than an object that is not metallic?

Last edited:
Yes, it will. These examples are in substance painter but it will apply to trainz:
100% Metallic, 0% Roughness (Solid white alpha channel, solid black green channel)
s9lxF1t.png

0% Roughness 0% Metallic (solid black for green and alpha channels)
aClDVEr.png

100% Roughness 100% Metallic (Solid white for green and alpha channel)
EdI74g6.png

You can see when metallic is introduced the material turns much darker. Hope that helps.

Regards

Back