Thread: Two British cities with more lines between them than anywhere else

Default Two British cities with more lines between them than anywhere else

There are now more than one passenger roue between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

-The long known Glasgow (Queen Street High Level) to Edinburgh.
    -Glasgow (Low level to Edinburgh via Airdrie.
    -Glasgow Central to Edinburgh via Shotts.

These are separate lines and I reckon must be outstanding between 2 cities here in GB??

Oops, passing error there are 5 routes! Not surprised no comments due to jealousy and greatness!

So silence admitting Glasgow and Edinburgh are way in front eh?!

Just sadly ignored by the envy! Haha.

Blog Entries

No, ignored by indifference.
    John,
    (A bear of little brain)

Hhhm, think you actually may be hotting the proverbial nail on the head John.

If this had been further south may have got a broad and outstanding notice but Glasgow and Edinburgh? Tut, tut! in a broad sense one would have thought with rail fans they would (many did read my thread) that they would have been so impressed at what is a very outstanding situation here in Gt Britain. Maybe I should just drift into sadness so many reading but saying nothing complimentary about a brilliant and nationally outstanding piece of rail accomplishment.

Blog Entries

Hi, I originally came from Falkirk and small though Falkirk is there was always two lines through it. Falkirk High was the more direct route to Glasgow or to Edinburgh and Falkirk Grahamston was a route that went to Stirling and places north but did have a branch off to Glasgow. Are there more than two routes there now?

Cheers,
    Bill
    If you are going to try cross-country skiing,
    Start with a small country.

Bill. Falkirk Grahamston is still there, as is Camelon. I think that there is a train running every thirty minutes between Edinburgh and Camelon with another two an hour between Edinburgh and Dunblane.

However, far be it for us to be responsible for rjhowie descending in to depression. Glasgow and Edinburgh are well served in terms of the number of routes, though the crown remains with the former NBR route between Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High. Current best timings are 43 minutes for the 47 and a quarter miles with three stops (Haymarket, Falkirk High and Croy). Frequency is good, with around four trains an hour, two of which are the fast 43 minute services while another two take between 45 and 48 minutes with four stops (usually Haymarket, Linlithgow, Polmont and Falkirk High). The other lines are slower.

Edinburgh - Glasgow QS via Falkirk: 47.25 mi - 43 min, 3 stops.
    Edinburgh - Glasgow QS via Falkirk Grahamston: 49.5 mi - 27 min, 2 stops to Grahamston, then Change trains (25 minute wait), then via Cumbernauld 46 min, 7 stops
    Edinburgh - Glasgow QS via Airdrie: 44.25 mi - 66 min with 14 stops
    Edinburgh - Glasgow C via Shotts: 47.25 mi - 75 min with 5 stops
    Edinburgh - Glasgow C via Carstairs: 57.25 mi - 57 min, 1 stop (Cross Country trains services - irregular intervals and some 1 hour 2 stops) Stopping trains 74 min with 6 stops

The fast trains are via Falkirk High, so there is one high speed route with, to a degree, a second one via Carstairs to a much lower service frequency. The four routes other than via Falkirk High are slower with predominantly stopping trains providing access to either Glasgow or Edinburgh but when it comes to taking a share of the Edinburgh to Glasgow market they will be far behind the Falkirk High route in meeting demand.

Yaboo! Falkirk is basically through stations but there is in all frankness nowhere else between two major cities where lines start and stop between them anywhere else in Gt Britain. That those two stand out above everywhere else (especially wonderful Glasgow) and the populace elsewhere indifferent is there loss (of course!) for maybe distant envy. Ah well such distant folk will not detract from my pride and joy at being in such an exceptional situation white folk hide their jealousy!

Oops.... the last line should have said "while folk" (!) but the envy bit still valid!

This is actually true, when I used to live in Glasgow I never paid attention to this fact funnily enough. 3 years I moved out to this property in Germany and enjoy riding trains between different cities here.