Two British cities with more lines between them than anywhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjhowie

There are now more than one passenger roue between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

-The long known Glasgow (Queen Street High Level) to Edinburgh.
-Glasgow (Low level to Edinburgh via Airdrie.
-Glasgow Central to Edinburgh via Shotts.

These are separate lines and I reckon must be outstanding between 2 cities here in GB??

Oops, passing error there are 5 routes! Not surprised no comments due to jealousy and greatness!
:hehe:

Hhhm, think you actually may be hotting the proverbial nail on the head John.:D

If this had been further south may have got a broad and outstanding notice but Glasgow and Edinburgh? Tut, tut! in a broad sense one would have thought with rail fans they would (many did read my thread) that they would have been so impressed at what is a very outstanding situation here in Gt Britain. Maybe I should just drift into sadness so many reading but saying nothing complimentary about a brilliant and nationally outstanding piece of rail accomplishment. :Y:

Hi, I originally came from Falkirk and small though Falkirk is there was always two lines through it. Falkirk High was the more direct route to Glasgow or to Edinburgh and Falkirk Grahamston was a route that went to Stirling and places north but did have a branch off to Glasgow. Are there more than two routes there now?

Cheers,
Bill

Bill. Falkirk Grahamston is still there, as is Camelon. I think that there is a train running every thirty minutes between Edinburgh and Camelon with another two an hour between Edinburgh and Dunblane.

However, far be it for us to be responsible for rjhowie descending in to depression. Glasgow and Edinburgh are well served in terms of the number of routes, though the crown remains with the former NBR route between Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High. Current best timings are 43 minutes for the 47 and a quarter miles with three stops (Haymarket, Falkirk High and Croy). Frequency is good, with around four trains an hour, two of which are the fast 43 minute services while another two take between 45 and 48 minutes with four stops (usually Haymarket, Linlithgow, Polmont and Falkirk High). The other lines are slower.

Edinburgh - Glasgow QS via Falkirk: 47.25 mi - 43 min, 3 stops.
Edinburgh - Glasgow QS via Falkirk Grahamston: 49.5 mi - 27 min, 2 stops to Grahamston, then Change trains (25 minute wait), then via Cumbernauld 46 min, 7 stops
Edinburgh - Glasgow QS via Airdrie: 44.25 mi - 66 min with 14 stops
Edinburgh - Glasgow C via Shotts: 47.25 mi - 75 min with 5 stops
Edinburgh - Glasgow C via Carstairs: 57.25 mi - 57 min, 1 stop (Cross Country trains services - irregular intervals and some 1 hour 2 stops) Stopping trains 74 min with 6 stops

The fast trains are via Falkirk High, so there is one high speed route with, to a degree, a second one via Carstairs to a much lower service frequency. The four routes other than via Falkirk High are slower with predominantly stopping trains providing access to either Glasgow or Edinburgh but when it comes to taking a share of the Edinburgh to Glasgow market they will be far behind the Falkirk High route in meeting demand.

Yaboo! Falkirk is basically through stations but there is in all frankness nowhere else between two major cities where lines start and stop between them anywhere else in Gt Britain. That those two stand out above everywhere else (especially wonderful Glasgow) and the populace elsewhere indifferent is there loss (of course!) for maybe distant envy. Ah well such distant folk will not detract from my pride and joy at being in such an exceptional situation white folk hide their jealousy!
:Y:

This is actually true, when I used to live in Glasgow I never paid attention to this fact funnily enough. 3 years I moved out to this property in Germany and enjoy riding trains between different cities here.

But my point Ottore is the hard routine point that these 2 UK cities have more than one passenger route than elsewhere!

Hi pogbellies.

The main line from Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh is a brilliant service and now an express line trains running every 15 minutes. The station's separate route is in the low level and electric too and more spaced out but it concentrates on more stations on it's route than that fast upper one. For decades when originally closed the part that ran east through the city was kept as a suburban electric then after a fifty year closure the track relaid to the capital. Has a number of towns to stop at.

I would guess that many Glasgow folk do not realise there is the third route to Edinburgh but from nearby Glasgow Central. Trains a bit more spaced out and take much much longer as the line dips a bit south via country villages etc then to Edinburgh. Years ago when I travelled on that one the ticket man looked at my ticket then gave me a surprised look that I was travelling to the capital on a long trailing route then said I should have went to Queen Street where everyone else goes. However I told him I was enjoying a train trip and it runs through pleasant country so he politely gave up on me!

Well southern man (!) we have more than two cities and that we have three separate lines shows progress envious man. Indeed up here north in the kingdom we have had 5 lines re-opened and now a 6th to be done so try and catch up soon. We are sure and steadfast more eh?? The re-start of one of the three after 50 years shows something and electric too.
:hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back