Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Still don't know what "Trainz Plus" is. . .

United States of America, Arkansas, Jonesboro

Default I Still don't know what "Trainz Plus" is. . .

I have read several post and the Trainz articles and stuff, but I'm still confused. Is Trainz Plus a new version of Trainz? Is it a "patch" for TRS2019? Someone explain this in simple terms.

Thanks,

Dave

It's a feature of some subscription levels. Details here.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalkr View Post
    It's a feature of some subscription levels. Details here.

chris

So essentially, it's a Beta for TRS2019 update??

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by davesnow View Post
    Yup and you get to play with some cool things too like the unified Driver and Surveyor editing where you can be driving and find something out of place, jump back into Surveyor fix the problem(s), and then resume where you left off in Driver. There's still a few bugs to work out with this process, but it's getting better.

There's also the new cameras such as walk where you are at ground level in Driver and Surveyor. In Driver it's awesome to watch stuff couple and trains pass by. There are other cameras too such as drone and fly available as well. I use the normal ones plus walk a lot.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

For subscription it looks like Gold minus all the extras
    just the game and updates
    if thats true plus will suit me better than gold

temporary image hosting
    CFI A1120 Pharaoh Evo
    Intel Core I7 8700k
    Win10 64bit
    ASRock Fatility Z370 Gaming K6
    Nvidia GTX 1080ti 32gb 3200

Blog Entries

Yes and they are offering 28% discount if you pay for 1 year up front. So 69.49 usd for the PLUS instead of 95.88 usd if you paid for 12 months at monthly rate.

My problem is I have 2 yrs of 1st class tickets still to use up (I buy when they're on sale) and I own TANE and TS19NA outright. There's something call "new content" - a feature which is I think only about getting to look at updated built-in content - is that something I'm interested in? I suspect it's more like beta testing updated built-in content.

So I'm left with this: Do I want to pay to be a beta tester and get to look at new features and concepts as they are developed? I did it for free in the DEV forum a couple years ago. It was interesting and I really enjoyed being part of it but I don't think I want to pay extra for it right now.

Bob Pearson
    TRAINZ-UTC-TRS04-TRS06-TC1&2-TC3-TS09-TS10-TS12-TANE(TEG)-TMR17-TS19
    Member since 6-14-2002

You get an additional discount if you already have a first class ticket or tickets. I get a discount for my lifetime FCT.
    Malc

Not to mention the camera view option of selecting a road vehicle and then you are in the car. This allows you to explore your route where trains don't go but cars and trucks can. Hopefully this will soon be available to all TRS2019 users.

Question for JCitron: I can already be in driver, pause and save the session at that point, exit to surveyor, fix something, then go back to the saved session where I left off. How is the process you describe in Plus different or better?

Not really. Each new feature goes through a beta period (which is open to all Trainz Plus users if they wish to participate) then once it is ready for prime time, is released to all Trainz Plus users through the official patch update.

So think of it more like Trainz 2019.1, 2019.2 etc. At some point in the future the Trainz Plus updates will be rolled into a new Trainz release available from the store.

Question for JCitron: I can already be in driver, pause and save the session at that point, exit to surveyor, fix something, then go back to the saved session where I left off. How is the process you describe in Plus different or better?
    I can help answer your question:
    1. The switch between modes is instant with no save/load/loading screen.
    2. Save games can be broken by changes made to the route and session.
    Last edited by Tony_Hilliam; September 28th, 2019 at 11:06 PM.
    Tony Hilliam

Got questions about TRS19? Click here for TRS19 FAQs

Looking for answers to in-game functionality? Click here for help

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Hilliam View Post

So think of it more like Trainz 2019.1, 2019.2 etc. At some point in the future the Trainz Plus updates will be rolled into a new Trainz release available from the store.
    so, being a Gold member, will I get the .1 update for free or will I have to pay for it?

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Quote Originally Posted by davesnow View Post
    so, being a Gold member, will I get the .1 update for free or will I have to pay for it?
    You get that for free. We're currently at .2 and it works quite well. I've been surveying and driving all day without a single crash. I haven't been able to Trainz like this for ages due to other commitments so this was a great treat as well.

What I love is being able to test things on the fly while working on my routes. What's really cool is assets such as rail crossings will activate while in Surveyor so you can test those things are working properly. You do need to unpause things while in Surveyor to do that though.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019/Trainz-PLUS: 105100

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

Dave,

This is a rental of software program. Any software you get under any of the subscription plans only works as long as you continue to pay for the subscription. When you stop paying, the software stops working!!!!. When a new version of TRS202x comes out, you have to buy it the same as always. That is the killer for me. I can wait for the finished version.

William

Quote Originally Posted by wreeder View Post
    This is a rental of software program. ... When a new version of TRS202x comes out, you have to buy it the same as always.
    Just to be clear: if you're already a Trainz Plus or Gold subscriber then you don't need to buy a separate copy of the game - the subscription includes the game.

chris

United States of America, Alabama, Birmingham

Correct, as long as you are renting the software you have access to the latest version.

This is really no different than Adobe's subscription plan. As long as your account is paid up the software works. But cancel the plan and it stops.

I understand the benefit to the developer. Steady and dependable income instead of feast and famine.

But I am old fashion, I have VHS tapes, cassette tapes of music, DVDs and real books and magazines. I like to own my software.

William

Quote Originally Posted by wreeder View Post
    Correct, as long as you are renting the software you have access to the latest version.

This is really no different than Adobe's subscription plan. As long as your account is paid up the software works. But cancel the plan and it stops.

I understand the benefit to the developer. Steady and dependable income instead of feast and famine.

But I am old fashion, I have VHS tapes, cassette tapes of music, DVDs and real books and magazines. I like to own my software.

William
    Do we really need to go through this again?
    It all comes down to choice, what you can afford and your personal reasons for that choice. Some people even do it to support N3V, as I do. Some people like flexibility, playing for a month then leaving it for 3 months whilst exploring other pursuits.
    It boils down to 2 paths, Traditional or Modern. Both streams are well supported by N3V and the Traditionalists have the benefit of well tested code when their next SP comes along.
    I'm old fashioned too, but I can also reap the benefits of the Modern way of things.
    cheers
    Graeme