I Still don't know what "Trainz Plus" is. . .

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
I have read several post and the Trainz articles and stuff, but I'm still confused. Is Trainz Plus a new version of Trainz? Is it a "patch" for TRS2019? Someone explain this in simple terms.

Thanks,

Dave

So essentially, it's a Beta for TRS2019 update??

Yup and you get to play with some cool things too like the unified Driver and Surveyor editing where you can be driving and find something out of place, jump back into Surveyor fix the problem(s), and then resume where you left off in Driver. There's still a few bugs to work out with this process, but it's getting better.

There's also the new cameras such as walk where you are at ground level in Driver and Surveyor. In Driver it's awesome to watch stuff couple and trains pass by. There are other cameras too such as drone and fly available as well. I use the normal ones plus walk a lot.

Yes and they are offering 28% discount if you pay for 1 year up front. So 69.49 usd for the PLUS instead of 95.88 usd if you paid for 12 months at monthly rate.

My problem is I have 2 yrs of 1st class tickets still to use up (I buy when they're on sale) and I own TANE and TS19NA outright. There's something call "new content" - a feature which is I think only about getting to look at updated built-in content - is that something I'm interested in? I suspect it's more like beta testing updated built-in content.

So I'm left with this: Do I want to pay to be a beta tester and get to look at new features and concepts as they are developed? I did it for free in the DEV forum a couple years ago. It was interesting and I really enjoyed being part of it but I don't think I want to pay extra for it right now.

Bob Pearson

You get an additional discount if you already have a first class ticket or tickets. I get a discount for my lifetime FCT.

Not to mention the camera view option of selecting a road vehicle and then you are in the car. This allows you to explore your route where trains don't go but cars and trucks can. Hopefully this will soon be available to all TRS2019 users.

Question for JCitron: I can already be in driver, pause and save the session at that point, exit to surveyor, fix something, then go back to the saved session where I left off. How is the process you describe in Plus different or better?

So essentially, it's a Beta for TRS2019 update??

Not really. Each new feature goes through a beta period (which is open to all Trainz Plus users if they wish to participate) then once it is ready for prime time, is released to all Trainz Plus users through the official patch update.

So think of it more like Trainz 2019.1, 2019.2 etc. At some point in the future the Trainz Plus updates will be rolled into a new Trainz release available from the store.

Question for JCitron: I can already be in driver, pause and save the session at that point, exit to surveyor, fix something, then go back to the saved session where I left off. How is the process you describe in Plus different or better?
I can help answer your question:
1. The switch between modes is instant with no save/load/loading screen.
2. Save games can be broken by changes made to the route and session.

Last edited:
So think of it more like Trainz 2019.1, 2019.2 etc. At some point in the future the Trainz Plus updates will be rolled into a new Trainz release available from the store.

so, being a Gold member, will I get the .1 update for free or will I have to pay for it?

so, being a Gold member, will I get the .1 update for free or will I have to pay for it?

You get that for free. We're currently at .2 and it works quite well. I've been surveying and driving all day without a single crash. I haven't been able to Trainz like this for ages due to other commitments so this was a great treat as well.

What I love is being able to test things on the fly while working on my routes. What's really cool is assets such as rail crossings will activate while in Surveyor so you can test those things are working properly. You do need to unpause things while in Surveyor to do that though.

Dave,

This is a rental of software program. Any software you get under any of the subscription plans only works as long as you continue to pay for the subscription. When you stop paying, the software stops working!!!!. When a new version of TRS202x comes out, you have to buy it the same as always. That is the killer for me. I can wait for the finished version.

William

This is a rental of software program. ... When a new version of TRS202x comes out, you have to buy it the same as always.

Just to be clear: if you're already a Trainz Plus or Gold subscriber then you don't need to buy a separate copy of the game - the subscription includes the game.

chris

Correct, as long as you are renting the software you have access to the latest version.

This is really no different than Adobe's subscription plan. As long as your account is paid up the software works. But cancel the plan and it stops.

I understand the benefit to the developer. Steady and dependable income instead of feast and famine.

But I am old fashion, I have VHS tapes, cassette tapes of music, DVDs and real books and magazines. I like to own my software.

William

Correct, as long as you are renting the software you have access to the latest version.

This is really no different than Adobe's subscription plan. As long as your account is paid up the software works. But cancel the plan and it stops.

I understand the benefit to the developer. Steady and dependable income instead of feast and famine.

But I am old fashion, I have VHS tapes, cassette tapes of music, DVDs and real books and magazines. I like to own my software.

William
Do we really need to go through this again?
It all comes down to choice, what you can afford and your personal reasons for that choice. Some people even do it to support N3V, as I do. Some people like flexibility, playing for a month then leaving it for 3 months whilst exploring other pursuits.
It boils down to 2 paths, Traditional or Modern. Both streams are well supported by N3V and the Traditionalists have the benefit of well tested code when their next SP comes along.
I'm old fashioned too, but I can also reap the benefits of the Modern way of things.:)
cheers
Graeme

I'm not complaining. I'm just making it clear to answer the OP question of what is Trainz Plus. This model is unique as far as I know in game software. Most other game subscriptions are for online games like WOW or EVE Online. Many game makers offer early access which is buy the game now and get access during development. But in that case you own the software when it is complete. N3V did this with TANE didn't they? I'm fine if you enjoy the subscription option.

William

Each to their own. Most of the initial objections to the subscription model was, I believe, because some people thought that it was going to be subscription only, no outright purchase would be possible. This has been rebutted many times but those claims persist.

A few objected to the fact that the subscription users would get newer features before the non-subscribers who would have to wait until the next major release of Trainz (the "rumoured" TRS202X), But that is life, if you want the movie disc with the extra features, such as the directors cut, then you pay extra. If you just want the "vanilla" edition with a just few "blooper reels" then you pay less. I was always happy to wait the 2 years (plus or minus) to get the next version of Trainz with the new features and this is no different.

Note that you can do as I did... On day one of my discovery of TRS19 last Oct I purchased TRS9 outright. I now "own" the game (actually "lease" I think). I then discovered the Gold and Silver plans and then along came Plus. I joined Gold, though I may "downgrade" to Plus.

Thus, I "own" my game *and* I have the benefit of the latest Plus release. Since I have Gold, I also have access to the beta releases... but I have opted to stick with the standard "Plus" release and forego the beta's.

To me, if you create or edit Routes, Plus is a no-brainer. Unified Driver/Surveyor make it worth the cost, even if you already own a copy of TRS19.

More people would likely do as I did if a "free for six months" program was offered to those who already own TRS19 outright. In other words, for those who already own TRS19, give them thee or four months free "Plus" with a years paid subscription for Plus. I feel like I paid for TRS19 twice. (Not complaining... I'm having too much fun.)

Last edited:
Thus, I "own" my game *and* I have the benefit of the latest Plus release.

What you own is a license to use the software. The difference between the two models is the difference between owning and renting, but what is owned or rented is the same.

Back