Adding an existing session to a new route

Paulsw2

Ambling on the slow line
Here's my problem:

1. I created a single baseboard route with a set of Turf FX layers as a template so I don't have to create them from scratch every time in each route.
  2. I then discovered that you can't simply import such a template route into an existing route: the Turf FX layers don't import.
  3. However, you can import your existing route into the Turf FX template route and combine them. This effectively creates a new route bringing together your existing layout with the Turf FX layers.
  4. But - what to do with your route's base session? I create routes using a base session where I keep all the train, rolling stock and related assets. This session obviously applies to the 'old' route and kuid. How do I associate or import this session into the 'new' route that has the Turf FX layers.
I have tried changing the kuid map references in the config file for the base session to 'switch' it to the new route. I've also tried adding the base session kuid and string tables to the config of a session created in the new route. Neither appears to work in terms of showing the trains and rolling stock that should appear in the base session.

Any ideas or suggestions? I don't want to have to recreate my base session from scratch - that would be even more onerous than having to recreate all the Turf FX layers! :'(

Paul

Well, that doesn't work, I wonder why? Perhaps N3V could tell us? In the end I merged the session layer into a new route layer, merged that into the Turf TFX template route, re-saved the route then merged the new route layer back into a new session layer, then saved the resulting session. Sounds convoluted, but does that make sense? However, it would be so much easier if we could just 'drag and drop' sessions between routes! :p

Paul

Paul,

I have discovered that if you want to keep a session, you need to make that route the recipient route and not the one that's merging into another.

Once merged, I then open the session for edit and modify the config.txt file to point the map-kuid to the new route and update the kuid-table with the same value.

Doing this the other way results in weird things happening like trains floating in a harbour or way off the tracks somewhere else on the map.

Back