Reinstalling and keeping your downloaded content

pilot_76

Unfortunately I will reinstall Trainz 19 and I'd like to know how to backup everything downloaded from the CM. The DLCs will be auto installed from steam.

tks

Your Trainz content is all included in a single folder by default located in C:/Users/(YOUR LOGIN NAME)/App Data/Local/N3V Games/TRS19/Build - something.

The something is a bunch of letters and numbers in sequence like Build22394x56d (made this up).

In order to see this folder, you may need to set your File Explorer to show hidden folders.

=====

With that noted above, you can place your content folder anywhere. All you need to do is change the data location in the Trainz settings located in the Launcher. This link here explains a lot that is helpful and sums up a lot so I don't have to type it.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Help:Moving_Content

In the end, I highly recommend placing your TRS19 content somewhere else besides the default location. I put mine on another hard disk in a folder called TRS19_DATA. It can't be anymore obvious than this. The advantages of this setup are I can easily access the editing folder or any other folder as needed, as well as easily backup the contents since all the content is located in this single place along with the must-be-guarded, Assets.tdx which contains all kinds of stuff including your login.

Steam may have another location where the data is located. I recommend checking the Install menu item in the Trainz settings on the Launcher. All other information applies.

tks Jcitron, I will look closely for this procedure. I've notice my C: storage space being reduced. I got 116gb of trainz material and realized that it is using up the C drive instead of Trainz SSD installed. Will have to move everything. Tks again.

This is what I've done:

-Made a copy of my data folder following the instructions.
-Changed the path to the settings/install tab

So far so good. Then I had to uninstall Steam AND of course Trainz 19. I have two drives and one of them is SSD. When trainz19 is moved/installed there is a bug where I cannot access anymore the in-game settings screen (driver/surveyor/main menu). This stopped once I moved the game to another drive using the "move installation folder"on steam. But the other drive is not SSD so I had to unistall the whole thing including steam. Starting from scratch I installed steam in the SSD drive BUT with a different default folder. Installed trainz there as well. The game works fine and I have the settings menu ok. Then I changed the install tab for my data/content folder and the game recognized it.

But:

-The game does not load my saves/routes (my content) although I checked they are there in new data the folder.
-The game did download all payware (including routes) and 3rd party downloads but only locos/rolling stock.
-On drive C: there is a huge folder (C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19) taking up space just like the data folder although this last one is taking up much more space. I am thinking of deleting this folder for a fresh start. See below.

Bottom line is that I will delete everything again and start over BUT keeping my old Data folder with all my custom routes/3rd party downloads. Hopefully the new installation will load my content. If I am doing something wrong please let me know.

Back