Bogie Scripting No Longer Supported?

I've got a locomotive on which I'm trying to set up bogie mesh scripting, as per the instructions for the AJS Superscript. However, when I attempt to run it in Trainz, I get the following exception:

ddgpnk8-974583e8-4d09-4c1b-897e-3acc5ecd3901.png

Does this mean that the bogey scripting no longer works in Trainz 2019? If so, is there another script I could use that would allow me to do what I need?

Try the native API version instead of Andi's Superscript version. Superscript did have some issues with later versions of Trainz although I thought N3V may have tweaked it. Sorry, I can't help more but I'm a long way from home.

Right, thank-you for the confirmation. I've already come up with a plan B, now I just need to implement it.

On a related note, what's the offset between a.limback and a.limfront? I.e. if I put two train vehicles on a track, how much space does the game put between the a.limback of one and the a.limfront of the next?

On a related note, what's the offset between a.limback and a.limfront? I.e. if I put two train vehicles on a track, how much space does the game put between the a.limback of one and the a.limfront of the next?

Don't think I've ever seen a reference to that but I assume it is zero.

…if I put two train vehicles on a track, how much space does the game put between the a.limback of one and the a.limfront of the next?
I think it's 0.0 m. These represent the coupling points where one coupler bears on another and represents the couplers in tension.

The max-coupler-gap tag value sets the maximum slack in that car's coupler system. The game uses the average value of this tag from the configs of the 2 cars coupled together. Default is 0.08 m. This sets the gap when the couplers are in compression where the a.limback point in this condition now overlaps and pushes beyond the a.limfront point of the coupled car.

You can request the vehicle length from the API and I believe it returns the distance between the a.limfront and a.limback points for that vehicle. That's easy enough to verify. So with an engine pulling, maximum train length would be sum of the vehicle lengths of all vehicles in the train. With the engine pushing, minimum train length would be that value minus one half the max-coupler-gap values for the 1st and last vehicles and that minus the sum of all the max-coupler-gap values for the remaining vehicles.

Bob Pearson

EDIT: Paul, I've seen at least 1 sketch with the front and back points just outside the ends of the UK/EUR buffers - I think they use screw turnbuckle attachment for the tension side. Funny there must be some documentation somewhere as there are a lot of train vehicles running around in the game. Of course a fraction of a meter here and there doesn't get much notice.

EDIT2: I'm remembering I also viewed some traincar meshes that have knuckle couplers (using PEV's meshviewer) and the front and back points were on the inboard side of the knuckle flap as I described above. But a few swallows don't make a spring as they say. Be nice to see some actual documentation on placement of these points and the trainzwiki section on attachment points doesn't really pin it down - just used for coupling.

Last edited:
..... Funny there must be some documentation somewhere as there are a lot of train vehicles running around in the game. Of course a fraction of a meter here and there doesn't get much notice.

This is not a topic I know much about although I would probably start looking in the old Content Creation Guide. There may be some info not moved to newer WiKi pages.
There was a related discussion in the Discord CC channel yesterday and someone posted some detailed drawings. I did wonder where the poster got his info.

@Paul, hope the OP doesn't mind a bit of off topic chat but I just noticed your location. Voyager autour de la France - Je vous envie mon ami.

Been going to PM you on another topic but if I do I'll keep it short.

Bob Pearson

Thanks. My schoolboy French has long deserted me but can get by if I know the context. This is my first time here though I've been to other European countries in the past. My wife likes to travel!

Back