Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Longest routes and capacity

United States of America, In Front Of My PC

Quote Originally Posted by anathoth71 View Post
    It doesn't help you right now, but before the end of the year I am intending to release a route onto the DLS that will start with the name DSEPR02......(see below).

It's about 390 km (234 miles roughly) from end to end, with scenery drawn to about 8 baseboards either side of the line. It runs quite smoothly in TANE on a 4 year old computer. I will add you to the list of people to notify when it is done.
    Just a bare bones, un-detailed route, 234 miles long, and 16 baseboards wide, is very, very wide, and may be much, much too large in file size TB's, for the DLS to accommodate
    I want all my performance sliders set to "Full"

Quote Originally Posted by MP242 View Post
    Just a bare bones, un-detailed route, 234 miles long, and 16 baseboards wide, is very, very wide, and may be much, much too large in file size TB's, for the DLS to accommodate
    Ok, I presented the info wrongly - it is actually 4 baseboards either side of the line for a total of 8, plus the board the line is on. So 9 wide total.

I used CM's "open for edit" function to check it's current size, and in raw uncompressed format it is currently showing as 751 MB (777 MB on disk). I used 10m terrain grid away from the tracks, but 5m grid below the track, which may have helped keep the filesize down.

I can remove maybe 5-10% of the baseboard total if needed in unmodelled areas, but I have been led to believe that this size is within the current limits of the DLS system to handle. Would that still be the case do you think?
    Forthcoming DLS releases - DSEPR02 Pilbara Iron, and DSEPR03 London to Lille

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Ok, I presented the info wrongly - it is actually 4 baseboards either side of the line for a total of 8, plus the board the line is on. So 9 wide total.

I used CM's "open for edit" function to check it's current size, and in raw uncompressed format it is currently showing as 751 MB (777 MB on disk). I used 10m terrain grid away from the tracks, but 5m grid below the track, which may have helped keep the filesize down.

I can remove maybe 5-10% of the baseboard total if needed in unmodelled areas, but I have been led to believe that this size is within the current limits of the DLS system to handle. Would that still be the case do you think?
    This is raw size of the route. When a CDP is created, because that's how a route gets uploaded, the package reduces to about 50% so that would make CDP about 400 MB. That's still a big route and might give people the jitters as it downloads. Remember this is only the route and then the dependencies have to follow from the DLS. For those on slow connections, this might be a problem.
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

United States of America, In Front Of My PC

Actually the route GND file (which has all you route map and assets) that probably is so extremely large, that it can not possibly "Save To A CDP", and is most probably much, much, too gigantically large, in TB's file size, that the DLS will not be able to upload/download it, and receive it, for posting on the DLS.
    I want all my performance sliders set to "Full"

Quote Originally Posted by JCitron View Post
    This is raw size of the route. When a CDP is created, because that's how a route gets uploaded, the package reduces to about 50% so that would make CDP about 400 MB. That's still a big route and might give people the jitters as it downloads. Remember this is only the route and then the dependencies have to follow from the DLS. For those on slow connections, this might be a problem.
    Thanks John. It was intended to be a big route and so it is. It won't get much bigger on disk as I am just building out the scenic facilities now, and might remove the unmodelled areas just to be sure it will upload ok. The uploading is the bit I am concerned about. If it is under the current DLS limit as seems to be the case I'll be happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by MP242 View Post
    Actually the route GND file (which has all you route map and assets) that probably is so extremely large, that it can not possibly "Save To A CDP", and is most probably much, much, too gigantically large, in TB's file size, that the DLS will not be able to upload/download it, and receive it, for posting on the DLS.
    Thanks muchly for taking the time to respond, but I do believe that TANE handles such things differently to the older versions of Trainz that your banner indicates you are using. The largest single file evident when I opened it for edit is a mere 165 MB (the mapfile.map file). TANE breaks the route up into many smaller GND files it seems, of which there are nearly 12000.

I'm not much of an IT guy, but I think that's how it works now.

If there's more to it than this maybe one of the gurus here can set us straight.

United States of America, Massachusetts, Haverhill

Thanks John. It was intended to be a big route and so it is. It won't get much bigger on disk as I am just building out the scenic facilities now, and might remove the unmodelled areas just to be sure it will upload ok. The uploading is the bit I am concerned about. If it is under the current DLS limit as seems to be the case I'll be happy with that.
    That's good. The fact too that the route files themselves are segmented into tiny bits helps with the loading. In TS12 and below, as well as early T:ANE versions, these were huge files that would send Content Manager into a snit and then a tailspin. T:ANE would sit there forever chewing on the file and sometimes hang, but TS12 would faint and crash immediately to the desktop. I found this out the hard way when transferring content. There is still a limit, which I think is about 1 GB is about, and that is one huge route or CDP in general since everything is about twice that size!
    John
    Trainz User Since: 12-2003
    Trainz User ID: 124863
    T:ANE Build: 94829
    TRS2019: 98592

The largest map I know has almost 2 GB and
    contains only one prototypical flight route.
    Saving as CDP is not possible, 7-Zip did shrink it to 550 MB.

# Trainz Baseboards East-West = 728
    # Trainz Baseboards North-South = 640
    # Trainz Baseboards total = 465920
    # actually created Trainz Baseboards after filtering = 38179

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12D...joVfmOTYBf6FNz

Hi there.

I am looking for very long routes such as the Montana rail link so if you have any please give me the name to search for. Also in Surveyor I'd like to know what is the number limit of "grids" that can be put together in a single route. Also is there a limit on the number of objects/tracks that the game support in a single session?

tks.
    Hello.

you may check for my map 'Brennerbahn - La Ferrovia del Brennero'
    which is afaik the largest available European DEM map (6505 baseboards) right now.
    Get the latest version here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gS...aXU0DYTgZWUF8E