what are seasonal assets?

autodctr

I have searched here and the 'net and cannot find out what is meant by "seasonal" in an asset. I am hoping that there are assets that will show snow accumulation on them assuming that I have it snowing.

They're assets that can change like summer and winter seasons.
Some assets also include the 4 seasons - spring, summer, fall, and winter

Cheers

Summer, spring, autumn and winter textures/skins are meant to display depending on the time of year (season). Snow is meant to be controlled separately, depending not on season but only on whether the asset is above or below the snowline setting.

Assets regarded as “seasonal” may have all or only some of those attributes, depending on what is appropriate. An evergreen tree or an inanimate object like a building, vehicle or a body of water might only have a regular skin (same in all seasons) plus a snow skin and still be referred to as a seasonal asset. Other things like deciduous trees could have skins for all 4 seasons, plus snow.

If you’re lucky, the seasonal details might by fully explained in the asset’s Description, but often the only ways to really know are by examining the contents of the asset’s config.txt file (season-selector tag) or by experimenting with the asset in the game.

Note that in some seasonal tree assets, the winter skin has been made snowy. This is really a modelling error because it does not allow for situations where the winter is not always snowy.

Last edited:
I, for one, have absolutely no interest in seasonal assets. I drive my locos and stuff in the dead of summer all year round.

I, for one, have absolutely no interest in seasonal assets. I drive my locos and stuff in the dead of summer all year round.

Same here!

Living where it gets cold and dreary for over 3 months of the year, I have no intention of driving my routes in that kind of weather. I set my sessions to be mid summer, usually mid-July with a nice sun and some puffy clouds. :)

Does that mean that snow will accumulate on them?

Not quite,they display two or more meshes, one might be one with snow on it. Sometimes they just use different textures.

Sprinkling snow on everything would need something more complex.

Cheerio John

Thanx for all the replies! I live in Pennsylvania and much prefer the cold to the hot, so I have no problems running trains in the snow. Besides, for Christmas I want trains in snow!

Back