JMRI some questions

pilot_76

Hello.
I've recently noticed this software and got some questions (Trainz game usage only not for real modeling)

1- When designing a layout: Will it automatically suggest the placement and the proper type of signals?

2- Can I print a layout?

3- After I complete its database with all my locos and rolling stock, routes, industries etc will the Dispatcher make up random tasks or I have to choose myself on what task I want to perform?

tks

Trainz can be used to model anything, not just for railroads. I use it to create sets for my novels, adding towns, people, whatever, to make a particuolar scene come alive to me as I write. There are some great prototypical routes on the download station as well. I participated in the creation of a two-foot gauge railroad set in the Himalayas called "The Drjeeling Himalayen Railway". Others have created totally different routes, one of them is an exceptional depiction of Mars.

#1: No. You have a wide variety of signals you can choose from on the DLS (Download Station).

#2: You can, but with difficulty.

#3: You create your own scenarios using commands built by stringing together such things as "proceed VIA trackmark xxx to Station Y; load; Proceed to ......."

You have the ability to affect everything in the game and what your trains do within that game.

Bill

Last edited:
Tks Bill, My problem is still with advanced signalling. I thought JMRI would handle all of it once my layout was ready.

My problem is still with advanced signalling. I thought JMRI would handle all of it once my layout was ready.

Maybe you are confused about JMRI and Trainz.

- JMRI is a piece of software that controls real-life model trains (HO scale, O scale, etc.).
- Trainz is a simulator that allows you to design and build layouts or full-sized routes mimicking a real-life area and then see the trains running on them.

They cannot be used with each other. JMRI will not do anything with Trainz, and Trainz cannot drive the trains on your real-life route (only the simulated one). Although, nothing prevents you from building a real layout based off one in Trainz, or vice versa.

TL;DR You will have to place all signals yourself.

Sorry I made myself not clear.

I intended to design a layout in JMRI then "copy"it in trainz. I thought that signalling was done automatically in JMRI so I would just insert the signals in my layout in trainz sim.

I apologize, I don't want to hijack this thread, but HiBaller, can you name some of your books and if they are generally available? Maybe in a community thread?

Back