Reskin Commisions

Mkultra04

How Tomorrow Moves
I wasn't to sure where to post it so its going here lol. I have a few locos I want reskined but lack the skill/ software to do it my self and I want to commission some one to do it. Now me being a broke teen I don't have much money to throw around so my question is do people charge money to do this sort of thing (assuming people do commissions)? If so how much on average?

Reskinning depends on the model and how it is mapped. Some are easy some more difficult.

In windows there is free software to change the texture files such as GIMP, paint.net etc. Paintshop pro has a colour changer option which is nice. XI or later certainly has it and ebay often has cheap copies.

The basics are here: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Basic_Reskinning_for_beginners

In TANE select the item you want to reskin then go to the content menu and select clone. This will give you a new asset that is open for editing. Right click this one and open in explorer. After you have changed the texture file right click and submit edits.

What are the kuids you'd like to reskin?

Cheerio John

Reskinning depends on the model and how it is mapped. Some are easy some more difficult.

In windows there is free software to change the texture files such as GIMP, paint.net etc. Paintshop pro has a colour changer option which is nice. XI or later certainly has it and ebay often has cheap copies.

The basics are here: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Basic_Reskinning_for_beginners

In TANE select the item you want to reskin then go to the content menu and select clone. This will give you a new asset that is open for editing. Right click this one and open in explorer. After you have changed the texture file right click and submit edits.

What are the kuids you'd like to reskin?

Cheerio John
<kuid2:45324:100007:1> -JR CSX gp38-2 YN2 Freeware
<kuid:109664:700001> - JR DBEV RS1 Payware
<kuid:396831:100967> JR Baldwin S12 Industrial Switcher Freeware
All I want done is for them to be patched for use on other railroads. I went through JR's forums and it looks like its ok to reskin Free stuff but IDK about pay ware. I'm assuming you need permission for pay ware but I'm not 100% certain. And idk if the rules are different if I'm having some one outside of JR do the reslining for me.

For your own use it's fine. Looking at the YN2 <KUID2:45324:100007:2> is on the DLS, always use the version with the highest kuid number.

This one will take some time but I think it is doable. Clone the .tga file then cot out the clean vertical panel and copy it to over the one that says CSX. You'll need to cut and paste the panels on the side to get rid of the CSX. You want a blank canvas to start. I'd get my hands on PSP and use the colour changer in it. There are copies on ebay available fairly cheaply. Once you have the blank then clone that and work from it.

Looking at it the original art work has been done in layers then brought into a .tga file. The standard is high so you'll need some artistic ability to get anywhere near the original quality.

Try your hand and see how you get on.

Cheerio John

For your own use it's fine. Looking at the YN2 <KUID2:45324:100007:2> is on the DLS, always use the version with the highest kuid number.

This one will take some time but I think it is doable. Clone the .tga file then cot out the clean vertical panel and copy it to over the one that says CSX. You'll need to cut and paste the panels on the side to get rid of the CSX. You want a blank canvas to start. I'd get my hands on PSP and use the colour changer in it. There are copies on ebay available fairly cheaply. Once you have the blank then clone that and work from it.

Looking at it the original art work has been done in layers then brought into a .tga file. The standard is high so you'll need some artistic ability to get anywhere near the original quality.

Try your hand and see how you get on.

Cheerio John
I'm really busy with school and homework so I can't get it done in a reasonable amount of time although I will definitely try my hand at reskigning but in the mean time do you know of any one that can do it for me free or for cash?
Edit: Thanks for the help/info btw

I'm really busy with school and homework so I can't get it done in a reasonable amount of time although I will definitely try my hand at reskigning but in the mean time do you know of any one that can do it for me free or for cash?
The problem you will run into is that the original creator has not granted permission to copy or distribute, so anyone who reskinned it for you would have to start their image from scratch. That is almost impossible for that loco, as the whole image is in one file that is mapped to the mesh.

A much better option is to save your money for more important things and do it yourself, starting with the existing image and making small changes. Once you have a workflow set up, making and testing each change is easy. There is no need to use a complex high-end painting program, as most of what you are doing is copy and paste or built-in effects such as texturing or re-coloring. See, for instance:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Tutorial_for_Reskinnng_a_Locomotive_using_Paint.Net

The problem you will run into is that the original creator has not granted permission to copy or distribute, so anyone who reskinned it for you would have to start their image from scratch. That is almost impossible for that loco, as the whole image is in one file that is mapped to the mesh.

A much better option is to save your money for more important things and do it yourself, starting with the existing image and making small changes. Once you have a workflow set up, making and testing each change is easy. There is no need to use a complex high-end painting program, as most of what you are doing is copy and paste or built-in effects such as texturing or re-coloring. See, for instance:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Trainz/Tutorial_for_Reskinnng_a_Locomotive_using_Paint.Net
Awesome thanks I'll try it out.

Back