Issue with AI drivers changing cabs on a DMU after run around.

FootplatePhil

Trainz Tragic since 2002
In an AI drivers session I am trying to develop I have what I thought would be a fairly standard scenario. A DMU arrives at its destination, and the AI driven locos (two NSWGR 48 class locos in this case) need to run around the consist and depart in the opposite direction. The run around I have sorted (after overcoming the drivers inclination to travel 20kms back down the line before returning to the consist). However the driver remains in what becomes the trailing loco, and the cab view is a view of the trailing consist. How do I get the Driver to pack up his lunch box and move to the new leading loco, so he can see where he is going?

I have searched the forums for solutions to this, thinking it must be an issue someone has resolved. The latest relevant post I can find is from two years ago, and the solutions offered don't work (it was suggested that using "Move To Train", or "Run Around ex" after decoupling would do the trick, but that is not my experience).

This is such an everyday operation that surely it is possible. Any ideas ?

In an AI drivers session I am trying to develop I have what I thought would be a fairly standard scenario. A DMU arrives at its destination, and the AI driven locos (two NSWGR 48 class locos in this case) need to run around the consist and depart in the opposite direction. The run around I have sorted (after overcoming the drivers inclination to travel 20kms back down the line before returning to the consist). However the driver remains in what becomes the trailing loco, and the cab view is a view of the trailing consist. How do I get the Driver to pack up his lunch box and move to the new leading loco, so he can see where he is going?

I have searched the forums for solutions to this, thinking it must be an issue someone has resolved. The latest relevant post I can find is from two years ago, and the solutions offered don't work (it was suggested that using "Move To Train", or "Run Around ex" after decoupling would do the trick, but that is not my experience).

This is such an everyday operation that surely it is possible. Any ideas ?

Hi Phil, I know how frustrating it can be left sitting in the tail-end of the train seeing where you had been.

I had a similar situation on my Lavender Bay Session where the consist would pull into the siding adjacent to Waverton Station, then go in the opposite direction to North Sydney.

I got around it by adding a pop-up instruction stating that the train would head in the opposite direction, so it's time to exit cab-view and click on the cab at the other end of the train. In addition, I added the driver command "Change Train Direction' and change 'Destination Sign' adding 15 seconds, The train paused until the pop-up was cleared.

If you learn the secret, then please let me know.

Cheers mate,
Roy

The reason you are in the second cab is you are still driving in the same direction you coupled at. The driver wont change loco until he has an instruction to go the other way.

Immediately after the "Run Around" command, use this command - "Change Train Direction" <kuid2:70791:9001:1> (built in)

This command is different than the "Change Direction Command" in that the driver will move to the forward loco.

A little tip for your own route and runaround with two engines. Clone the engine and change the config to show engine 0 instead of 1. This makes it act like a tender.

Thanks for all the responses. Unfortunately none worked....

'MoveToLoco' - the driver changed locos, but all further commands were lost

'Change Train Direction' after 'Run Around Train'. The run around was completed successfully but all commands lost after 'Change Train Direction'

'Change Train Direction' after 'Run Around Train Ex'. Driver runs 20km up the track as part of the run around. I didn't wait to see what would happen after he reconnected.

'Change Train Direction' after manually directed run around (ie positioning one track mark at a time). All commands lost after 'Change Train Direction'

Seems the best I can do is to include a warning in the scenario instructions that the cab will need to be changed manually by clicking on the appropriate unit, as suggested by Roy.

EDIT: Turns out the commands are not being 'lost'. They just disappear from the HUD view. Using 'MoveToLoco', if I swap to another driver, and back then the commands are redisplayed. It is also at that point that the cab view changes to the front cab. Investigations continue !

Last edited:
I'm using Trainz 2012, but....

What I've found is that AIs are really bad at handling driver changes while you are in the cab. The AI wants to remain in the same cab that you are in.

One option could be to use a comamnd like "Set Camera View" to force the user out of the cab before executing the runaround/train direction change.

I'm using Trainz 2012, but....

What I've found is that AIs are really bad at handling driver changes while you are in the cab. The AI wants to remain in the same cab that you are in.

One option could be to use a comamnd like "Set Camera View" to force the user out of the cab before executing the runaround/train direction change.

I've found 'Set Camera View' is not really effective for that situation and there are no clear instructions for what to do.

As I've mentioned previously,... "I got around it by adding a pop-up instruction stating that the train would head in the opposite direction, and it's time to exit the cab-view and to 'click-on' the cab at the other end of the train."

This is easily achieved by placing a green 'Trigger' on the track near where you intend to stop and change direction, ... This is used to trigger the 'Pop-up' with all the instructions needed to change ends. The train pauses until the pop-up is cleared.

It works every time.

Cheers,
Roy

Thanks for that tip Roy, however with the way the session is set up I can't be sure whether that particular consist is the one the User is following at the time it does the run around. There are 7 other active consists they could be following. Hence 'Set Camera View' would also not be appropriate, even if it did work, as it might wrench the User away from the consist they are following.

Hope that makes sense.

Anyway, as I said, investigations continue. As observed in another currently active thread, Trainz can some times be quite frustrating.

EDIT: After playing more with 'Change Train Direction' command I have found again that the commands are not being 'lost', but just disappear from the HUD display. Again, if I swap to another driver and back then the commands are re-displayed, and the cab view changes to the front cab. Its a bit cludgy, and I wish the view would change at the time the command is issued, but it seems this is as good as its likely to get, and is probably good enough for my purposes. Investigation now parked, and many thanks to all who have offered their thoughts.

Last edited:
Back