Google Earth - TransDEM - TANE SP3

pitmilly

A plea for some assistance - have just loaded a new route (some 78 jpg's) via TransDEM into TANE SP3 (build 94916).

My normal method of route construction has been to load the route default file in Surveyor - make the additions/alterations - save - then merge Session layer into Route layer and then save again. Right or wrong, it has seemed to work well enough over the past two years.

However with this new TransDem originated route, the "Layers Program" , in addition to the Route and Session layers, includes two previously absent elements:-

1. TransDEM UTM Layer

2. TransDEM-Vector Layer

Various Forum postings appear to be saying that Items 1 & 2 can be merged into the Session/Route layers. Is this correct, if so, at what point? Could some knowledgeable soul kindly supply the definitive answer and spell out the recommended sequence of actions to be taken. Having got this far, I'm reluctant to press the wrong key and banjax several hours work.

I have produced this route specifically for TANE as all my TransDEM notes predate the introduction of TRS19 and it therefore seemed the safer approach. I am assuming that I shall be able to transfer the files across to TRS 19 at some point in the near future. Are there any "Bear Traps" to watch out for?

Many thanks

John Webster

A plea for some assistance - have just loaded a new route (some 78 jpg's) via TransDEM into TANE SP3 (build 94916).

My normal method of route construction has been to load the route default file in Surveyor - make the additions/alterations - save - then merge Session layer into Route layer and then save again. Right or wrong, it has seemed to work well enough over the past two years.

However with this new TransDem originated route, the "Layers Program" , in addition to the Route and Session layers, includes two previously absent elements:-

1. TransDEM UTM Layer

2. TransDEM-Vector Layer

Various Forum postings appear to be saying that Items 1 & 2 can be merged into the Session/Route layers. Is this correct, if so, at what point? Could some knowledgeable soul kindly supply the definitive answer and spell out the recommended sequence of actions to be taken. Having got this far, I'm reluctant to press the wrong key and banjax several hours work.

I have produced this route specifically for TANE as all my TransDEM notes predate the introduction of TRS19 and it therefore seemed the safer approach. I am assuming that I shall be able to transfer the files across to TRS 19 at some point in the near future. Are there any "Bear Traps" to watch out for?

Many thanks

John Webster

You can merge them with no harm done. They probably can be deleted if you don't use UTM tiles or imported Vector information, but so as not to have to repeat the merger and import process (I full understand how you feel!), I merge them during the merging process and have had no issues doing that.

It doesn't matter what order you merge them in. I've done it both ways UTM first, or Vector first with no difference.

If you want to try anything, make copies and play with the copies. The worst thing then is you'll have to delete the experiment.

John,

Very many thanks - all layers merged successfully as per your schedule and file now CDP'd and exported across to TRS 19. Everything appears OK and ready for further development EXCEPT, the route is now showing 8 missing dependencies which on investigation are:-

126773:21001; xx:21004; xx:21005; xx:21006; xx:21013; xx:21014; xx:21015 and xx:21017.

As far as I can make out these are all TransDEM 20 kuids. The route is showing a similar number of 126773 files which are apparently active/Payware but those I've listed appear to have gone walk-about. Any ideas?

regards

John

Problem solved - missing TransDEM kuids found in TANE version of route - transferred manually across to TRS19

You'll find the entire set of the 20 standard ground textures for maps (and also the custom set of 128 ground textures for aerial imagery) as CDP(s) in the TransDEM installation directory.

Back